Anyone know a modder for hire?

Puppet

Newly Enlightened
I would like to replace the emitter in a light with something brighter. I've removed the old emitter, and have the driver and pill sitting here, but I simply don't have the soldering skills -- or the equipment -- to attach the new one. Can anyone recommend to me someone -- an individual, or a store or company, that will do this for me?

I am, of course, willing to pay.

Many thanks, and I hope this is in the right thread. I saw links to some threads which might be relevant in the sticky for this forum, but they all seemed 5 or so years out of date.

Many thanks,

Ppt

(As per Str8stroke's good advice, below: I'm in Austin, Texas.)

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may be helpful to disclose you general location. There maybe someone near by who can help. Some folks also shy away from international shipping. Good Luck.

Puppet

Newly Enlightened
Great. Thanks very much, all. I've been following Vinh's work with great admiration, but for some reason thought he only did his own projects. I've sent him an email asking him if he's willing to take on this one-off for me. If he declines, I may be back here asking you all for more recommendations.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Great. Thanks very much, all. I've been following Vinh's work with great admiration, but for some reason thought he only did his own projects. I've sent him an email asking him if he's willing to take on this one-off for me. If he declines, I may be back here asking you all for more recommendations.

If you run into any problems contact me at some point. I'm still doing custom mod's for people.

MX421

Enlightened
Don't think i'm hijacking since I'm in a similar situation, but in my situation I wanted to keep the original driver/emitter combo and set up a similar driver i could drop in. Kinda like a P60 drop in variability in my flashlight(s). I'm still trying to figure out what driver to buy since none of the ones i've been looking at fit exactly what mine looks like. Later when my project list dwindles down, i wanted to try to do it myself for some future tries to get different variations to drop in, but until that future opportunity comes to pass, i'd like to have my favorite flashlight upgraded.

I still haven't heard back from Vinh on my request a little while back. How much would either you guys charge to put together a driver/emmiter setup to drop into my flashlight if I bought the materials? I'm also in Texas, but near Houston.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be patient with Vinh right now, he's just getting over being sick and was greeted with an absolute tidal wave of email and CPF PMs. He's not quite 100% yet and even went to the hospital I think.

His inbox is flooded and I think that speaks for itself.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't think i'm hijacking since I'm in a similar situation, but in my situation I wanted to keep the original driver/emitter combo and set up a similar driver i could drop in. Kinda like a P60 drop in variability in my flashlight(s). I'm still trying to figure out what driver to buy since none of the ones i've been looking at fit exactly what mine looks like. Later when my project list dwindles down, i wanted to try to do it myself for some future tries to get different variations to drop in, but until that future opportunity comes to pass, i'd like to have my favorite flashlight upgraded.

I still haven't heard back from Vinh on my request a little while back. How much would either you guys charge to put together a driver/emmiter setup to drop into my flashlight if I bought the materials? I'm also in Texas, but near Houston.

What exactly are you looking for? "Kinda like a P60" is pretty vague. It might make a huge difference whether it's a tweak to an existing driver or a full custom.

MX421

Enlightened
What exactly are you looking for? "Kinda like a P60" is pretty vague. It might make a huge difference whether it's a tweak to an existing driver or a full custom.

Point Taken. As far as it relates to this thread, I have a back-up plan to only modify my current driver. That would require only switching out emitter on the current driver, like Puppet wants to do. I think the driver is a driver/MCPCB/emitter combination after researching i a little.

As for the P60 explaination, well thats kinda off topic. I have a thread showing my Leupold 421 Flashlight taken apart asking for advice i posted awhile back. My original intent was to buy another driver, MCPCB, and emitter and make another driver/MCPCB/emitter combination which would replace the current driver. The way this light works is that the driver/emitter combo seats inside a aluminum ridge that is part of the bezel machining. On the other side of that ridge is the reflector which is sealed from that point out to the lens. The emitter sits flush against that ridge except for the emitter which fits into the glass indention to the reflactor. The driver combo is seated by a screw in retainer. You unscrew it, and the driver drops right out (and can be replaced with something similar, yet (hopefully) much brighter :) ) Although appreciated, the only help i got when i posted my original thread was a point in the direction i was already looking at. My emails to Richard at Mountain Electronics, a PM to another user on the budget light forum, and an email to Vinh haven't yet recieved replies so i was thinking of my back-up plan to modify my current driver when i saw this thread. My email to Vinh was in relation to a driver (22mm i believe) he was building that looked like it would fit my needs for this switch .

Sounds like Vinh is pretty swamped right now with a lot of stuff going on. Hopefully everything is okay with him and he isn't in the hospital. I'll give him some more time to see if he is interested in making the driver (with an emitter if he has time) he was discussing to fit my light before pursuing this further, i'm in no rush (I have bought some other lights i can play with :) ) Thank for the replies guys.

Regards,

David

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like Vinh is pretty swamped right now with a lot of stuff going on. Hopefully everything is okay with him and he isn't in the hospital.
Literally hundreds of emails a day, missing a few days puts him quite behind. Each e-mail replied tends to spawn another e-mail received for him.

MX421

Enlightened
LOL,

I'm sure his reply to mine will result in at least one reply back either explaining or full of questions :) Thanks for letting us know of his situation. Maybe it might be better to let someone else do this, but I'll let him decline first :)