Anyone Still Using The R.O.P., (Roar Of The Pelican), Set-Up For The Maglite?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am completely unfamiliar with the KRP118. I just did a CPF search and there isn't much. Has anyone overdriven them at 7.4 volts, and do they have any figures? I have two Li-ions in my ROP. Thanks!

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
KRP118 is a 6 cell (7.2 V, 4W) bulb which works fine with two Li-ions.
Not as bright as ROP low but just an option running at spect.
3853 LO is still obtainable and is brighter than any KPR bulb with 2 Li-ions.
Pack of 3853 contains LO and HO bulbs.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much, Fivemega. I have some ROP bulbs, but was curious about the KRP118, and they are very affordable, so I will probably pick up a few to try them out. At their decreased output, they should give some decent runtime. I will have to compare them with some HPX-53 I have kicking around somewhere, which I was disappointed by.

Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to dig out my 2D mags and my old 4C, I'm really wanting to put three 26650s in my old 4C. They fit and I want nice powerful Incan in it!

I know the 3x is to much but 2x powers some of my bulbs well.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
what a blast from the past not to mention a necrobump.
I remember reading about both ROP and Mag85 (never had either) circa 2007 and thought, wow. Because at the time, the hot items were LED Mags that got something like 60 lumens and a hot LED mod was 160-200 lumens. And ROP, etc walked all over them.

Look how things have changed, a modern Hound Dog or analogous is the same lumens or more, runtime is better than 20 minutes and the module life is infinite. Actually 1000-1200 lumens is no longer special. To impress me, you would need 10,000 lumens and that too is easier to achieve going the LED route.

Thanks for the valuable perspective.

Wouldn't mind having one for the antique value, like a museum piece.

mamelo

Newly Enlightened
what a blast from the past not to mention a necrobump.
I remember reading about both ROP and Mag85 (never had either) circa 2007 and thought, wow. Because at the time, the hot items were LED Mags that got something like 60 lumens and a hot LED mod was 160-200 lumens. And ROP, etc walked all over them.

Look how things have changed, a modern Hound Dog or analogous is the same lumens or more, runtime is better than 20 minutes and the module life is infinite. Actually 1000-1200 lumens is no longer special. To impress me, you would need 10,000 lumens and that too is easier to achieve going the LED route.

Thanks for the valuable perspective.

Wouldn't mind having one for the antique value, like a museum piece.

I still have mine seated nearby the entry door and use it on occasion. It is not for the reliability nor runtime nor amount of light in absolute terms but for the best quality light mankind or nature have invented, the light it produces is modern as no LED compares to the sun, a wooden fire, a burning candle or a glowing wire, it is ancient not antique and this kind of light will be there billions of years from now when LEDs will long have passed...:candle:

The LEDs and especially the Malkoffs (which I'm a fanboy of) have their place though...:thumbsup:

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
We're not bored Gene. Not at all.

Good topic here in the same-ole-same-old world of lumen wars flashion lights.
ROP was the Dale Earhardt of flashlights. I'm intimidated every time I hit the on switch.
(Star Trek Scotty voice) "Captain, she's gonna blow!"...

still have my ROP in my car's door, ready to light up the need f the moment. Still bright and reliable in a mag 2C.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Recently my brother gave me a vaper and said "you're going to need high output batteries". I pulled out my ROP and showed him the ones that light it up.

He laughed and said "what kinda light bulb needs 35 amp batteries?" I replaced them in the light and turned it on. He laughed and said "geez that'll turn off street lights" lol.

I showed him a before after photo of the next door neighbors porch light being ROP'd. (ie turned off by the beams brightness on the photo sensor)

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Recently my brother gave me a vaper and said "you're going to need high output batteries". I pulled out my ROP and showed him the ones that light it up.

He laughed and said "what kinda light bulb needs 35 amp batteries?" I replaced them in the light and turned it on. He laughed and said "geez that'll turn off street lights" lol.

I showed him a before after photo of the next door neighbors porch light being ROP'd. (ie turned off by the beams brightness on the photo sensor)

Great job! Incan's still kick ***!

Minimoog

Enlightened
Are the Low bulbs still available? I am after a couple of Low output R.O.P. bulbs, but being in the UK makes shopping a bit trickier. I'm using a 6D Mag Xenon lamp at the moment, as the FM reflector I use has a smaller hole which won't accept normal Krypton lamps.

The High bulbs work well with Sony VTC6 cells, white and punchy, my sort of incan.