Anything new on the Cool Fall front?

BHodge

Newly Enlightened
It was great to see the knob video. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures that Dave plans to post.

I'll go with SWGG too. I have the same finish on my 007 and love it.

What is Jeff's contact information for the trits?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
EU1C4919.jpg

knob shown locked to position 4

Thanks everybody for the kind comments. I was pretty nervous wondering what you all would think. Glad that is done. :tinfoil:

Sorry for the boring video . I could have shot it a few more times and it would not have been any better. Only dancing girls could have fixed that video. :grin2:

Some of these pictures are macro photography and show great detail. But in reality the knob is tiny and this level of detail is not easily seen. I wanted this part to be almost like jewelry. The dice dots are only .016" in diameter (that is way smaller than your 0.5mm pencil lead). That was cut by plunging a 1/64" endmill. Then the black epoxy is spread on and the knob put in a vacuum. There is no other way to get the epoxy down in the super tiny holes without lots of air bubbles. Then the epoxy is cut off with another OP on the CNC lathe. And finally the part is polished on the robot with a special clamp/cap over the crown to keep it from being smoothed off by the buffer wheel. The crown knurl is what you grab with your fingers so it needs to be left alone.

Soon I will show the internals of the Vegas Knob so you can get an idea of how it works.

EU1C4914.jpg

XP-L flood emitter of 2800K

EU1C4928.jpg

20150710_172933.jpg

20150710_172923.jpg

XP-G2 reflector emitter of 5000K

20150710_172950.jpg

Vault Cap review by PSM

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

lefteye219

Enlightened
Absolutely mind blowing light... Like Todd said the order will be all out from me too...

PS: I am not sure what kind of engineering feat went into this but as a collector and user of flashlights and someone who has interest in Materials engineering and Mechanical Engineering, I would love to see what went into the working mechanism of the knob. Its one heck of a nice mechanism Sir... This will be pinnacle of flashlights for many years (I am sure decades) to come...

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a beauty. Dave, you really have outdone yourself on this one. I'm just waiting for you to start taking orders now.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave, Thanks for the photos. I just love the watch inspirations. You have melded many of my favorite things in one tool. Great Job

Oh, PSM< thanks for the video too. I was wondering how it worked. For your first video, it did what it needed to do!

Zandar

Enlightened
I'm not sure what I can add to what's already been posted, except to say this is the most innovative "accessory" I've ever seen. You and your team of "elves" have accomplished an almost impossible feat. You've managed to created a "perfect knob", one that combines both great functionality and excellent styling. This knob fits in perfectly with the TRI-V'S signature appearance and looks like it was there from the beginning. Bravo! I have some questions and will email you.

Zandar

Enlightened
I so so want this now.

As do we all. Wait, don't you own like 6 TRI-V's already? How about helping out, those of us less fortunate,:nana::whistle: and loaning out a TRI-V here and there or perhaps you could come up with a lend- lease program? Just think of the wonderful P. R. you could garner for yourself and your department, Deputy Chip!

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say it's going to be hard to resist the urge to get a Tri-V3 once they are ready. The new knob and the new tailcap are just awesome. It is mind boggling what the total will come to to get the SWGG, new knob and new tailcap in one package.

lefteye219

Enlightened
I have to say it's going to be hard to resist the urge to get a Tri-V3 once they are ready. The new knob and the new tailcap are just awesome. It is mind boggling what the total will come to to get the SWGG, new knob and new tailcap in one package.

I say 40 Mr Franklins perhaps

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Vegas knob's function is to lock out SPY levels with a purely mechanical old school mechanism. It does this with a rotating and translating crown not unlike a wrist watch crown. It can be disabled if the user does not need its features by setting it to P6 or by leaving it in the unlocked state. It is small but it can be manipulated by feel alone. For now the Vegas knob will be available as an option only on the new Tri-V and later on the 007. The base model Tri-V and 007 will still come with the standard Military Knob unless you purchase the optional Vegas Knob. Like the old knob, the Vegas knob is designed to be robust in that you can not wear it out by playing with it. I made all the parts out of solid machined billet titanium and they will wear for many many years and not fail.

The following video is a 25 minute detailed discussion of the design, function and machining of the Vegas knob. It is detailed and very dry. :crazy: I got asked for this information at the last Photon Fest and it was well received by most, but three guys did fall asleep during the talk and one actually fell out of his chair to the floor. :whistle:

red arrow shows spin race detent

knoblockmain01.jpg

Cheers
Dave

lefteye219

Enlightened
Good to know the details of the knob in such a evaluative video... A tad bit long but surely gives insights.... Cannot wait for the release (which I believe and hope is a week from now)

BLADE followed by Tri-V3 release is not good for wallets....

Last edited:

Zandar

Enlightened
Yes, I watched the whole video and no I did not fall asleep(even once)! And yes ,a very informative video. I just can't seem to remember what the subject was?!!! Well it is 1:32 EST!!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW, super impressive.
I would have named it the TriV Stop Boss! lol

I don't think I would take it apart just to see how its made. Funny how 25 min seemed like 5!

Data, can we still call it the Fastest Light in the West? I am guilty of flicking my 007 into high. It looks like we can still flick it fast on the Vegas Knob too. The clicking feel & sounds are sorta addictive. lol

Better start saving guys & gals!