Anything new on the Cool Fall front?

Dragunov656

Newly Enlightened
Hello Dave,Sir,

I'm aware you're busy with the impending release of your Tri-V Version 3B Lights but i am truly awaiting in anticipation for your Spinnertop Model release.Lol.

Daryn.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a new thread up yet ?

EDIT ... nevermind, I see it is coming soon :)

I am so sorry I have not gotten to that yet. It is at the top of the list now. There are several projects going on at the same time. However the New Tri-V's are ready to ship. The information/sale thread is coming.

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just posted some pictures of the new Tri-V here: Introducing the SPY Tri-V version 3B

EU1C5908s66.jpg

Cheers
Dave

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Dear Dave (who I wish was Santa, but it's just not so),
What are the chances of a spy flashlight designed to use a pair of 18350's?
Those cells hold almost 50% more energy and can handle comparatively crazy current loads. And all that in exchange for very little extra size.

Also, I would love to have the "Double Agent" and the sweet name is yours in exchange for a discount or if the light one day magically appeared under a tree... LOL A mule and a classic light combined...

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear Dave (who I wish was Santa, but it's just not so),
What are the chances of a spy flashlight designed to use a pair of 18350's?
Those cells hold almost 50% more energy and can handle comparatively crazy current loads. And all that in exchange for very little extra size.

Also, I would love to have the "Double Agent" and the sweet name is yours in exchange for a discount or if the light one day magically appeared under a tree... LOL A mule and a classic light combined...

Even the new 16340 cells can pump out 8 amps!! Dang. That is amazing in of itself. However there is more power available in the venerable AW IMR cells than the 007 Sapphire uses even now (10Watts plus in turbo mode). The goal as always is to get rid of the heat from the emitter and that is no small task for a light as tiny as a SPY. The trade offs are EDC size/weight vs runtime vs turbo mode heat vs turbo mode duration. I hear you that you want a larger and more powerful SPY. To date, as you all know, my goal has been EDC first. As always I listen to everybody's input, thanks for the great thoughts.

Cool Fall has several SPY models available for custom order. Some with shorter waiting times than other. If in the future there ever is a Double Agent, you will be the first to know.

Happy Holidays everybody. :twothumbs

Cheers
Dave

007 Sapphire
007 Accessories
Tri-V
Droid
SpinnerTop (coming soon)

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Hey Dave, my thoughts really are more in line with extended runtimes, and not so much higher brightness. When I look at the Spy, I think that if the flat part of the sides where not machined flat and instead stay the size of the "flares" at the tail cap and right behind the head, there would probably be space for those 18350s. The light may be forced to get a bit bigger, but 2mm of diameter and 1mm length isn't much... However I totally get the desire to keep the light as compact as possible.

I've been wondering for some time how much voltage the Spy sends to the LED.
The way I understand it, the spy matches the voltage forward of the LED, so it should change a bit at different drive currents and with different LEDs. I'm curious if it's running about 3 volts or if it's 6 volts. The reason I ask is because if it's 3 volts, how the heck are you stepping the voltage down so much?

The other more important reason I ask is to get an estimate of wattage and or runtime at given drive currents. For example, if my spy was programmed to run at 1000mah, is the LED getting 1000mah at about 3 volts meaning about 3 watts of power? Is it 1000mah at about 6 volts meaning about 6 watts? I'm trying to figure out what the approximate amp draw is for each of the battery cells. If you can give me an idea of the power at 1000mah, I can figure it out for any drive current.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Dave, my thoughts really are more in line with extended runtimes, and not so much higher brightness. When I look at the Spy, I think that if the flat part of the sides where not machined flat and instead stay the size of the "flares" at the tail cap and right behind the head, there would probably be space for those 18350s. The light may be forced to get a bit bigger, but 2mm of diameter and 1mm length isn't much... However I totally get the desire to keep the light as compact as possible.

I've been wondering for some time how much voltage the Spy sends to the LED.
The way I understand it, the spy matches the voltage forward of the LED, so it should change a bit at different drive currents and with different LEDs. I'm curious if it's running about 3 volts or if it's 6 volts. The reason I ask is because if it's 3 volts, how the heck are you stepping the voltage down so much?

The other more important reason I ask is to get an estimate of wattage and or runtime at given drive currents. For example, if my spy was programmed to run at 1000mah, is the LED getting 1000mah at about 3 volts meaning about 3 watts of power? Is it 1000mah at about 6 volts meaning about 6 watts? I'm trying to figure out what the approximate amp draw is for each of the battery cells. If you can give me an idea of the power at 1000mah, I can figure it out for any drive current.

The STFu MK4 converter in the SPY is designed to provide 3V LED's the voltage that they need to hit any given current target. That is called a current source power supply because it is constantly trying to achieve the desired current by dynamically changing the voltage. The STFu's microprocessor does this by measuring the emitter current many times a second and adjusting accordingly. The processor in the STFu is running at 8mHz and its output to the LED is nearly pure DC power. There is no flicker in the LED light output from a SPY. LED's as you know constantly change their forward voltage depending on their temperature so the fancy electronics have to adjust real time.

When you program a SPY you set the current levels you desire for each position of the knob. Factory settings for the 007 Sapphire have position 6 set to 1000mA. So the power in this case is 1A times about 3V or about 3 Watts. The maximum setting of 3300mA would give you a little over 10Watts of power going to the emitter. The ultra efficient Texas Instruments power converter chip in the STFu uses only slightly more power from the batteries. Rechargable batteries in the SPY are in series so they provide up to 8V to the STFu depending on their state of charge.

The power from the batteries has to be equivalent so just over 10W of power is supplied by the batteries. 10W divided by battery voltage will give you battery current draw. It maxes out at about 2A in the worst case.

Cheers
Dave