anything optics>>>

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am no optics expert at all, but I have wanted a pair of decent bins for a while for hiking, camping etc. Vortex is located about 1.5 hours from me so a couple weeks ago dad and I drove out there to check out their showroom. Very cool. Their building is set right next to a nature conservancy and sprawling farmland so you can test all the optics you want at basically any range you want. I was able to take a bunch of different bins outside to try them out and settled on the Diamondback HD 10x42. I found a good deal on them from a dealer online when I got home (they don't sell out of that showroom, it's basically a distribution warehouse). For my simple occasional needs they are terrific.
+

= 10x42 =

Decided to go with the Nikon PROSTAFF 3S 10x42 for my cousin and his family.
At $120 total cost, it's very hard to beat the performance per dollar.

Really like Vortex & Nikon ,, their warranty & per dollar value.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that, including the reticle photo in particular - really interesting to see that.
(The other thing is that I'm /really/ big on 6x binoculars. :))
+

hiya Kestrel, good deal on a wide field of view 6.5x option ($279)

yeoldoak

Newly Enlightened
Picked up over the years, used police, military binos.
Used for hunting, hill walking and wildlife spotting, sometimes
theres folk up to no good and a closer look is in order : )

Steiner Commander XP 7x50 Marine Binoculars with compass
Steiner Predator Military Marine 8x30
Steiner Fero D12 8X30
Carl Zeiss 8x30
IMG_5268.JPG

Kestrel

Flashaholic
+

Vortex 8.5x32 Raptor Binoculars

$66 for good as new condition from B&H could be a pair for car or truck.
Transferable Lifetime Warranty from Vortex

Missed this post until now; I saw that they had only one used one, so I ordered the used one for my (retired) friend, and a new one ($89) for me. I anticipate replacing the full-size China-mfg Leupold 8x42's that I mentioned back here:

in case anybody is looking for entry-level full-size Leupolds.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Missed this post until now; I saw that they had only one used one, so I ordered the used one for my (retired) friend, and a new one ($89) for me. I anticipate replacing the full-size China-mfg Leupold 8x42's that I mentioned back here:

in case anybody is looking for entry-level full-size Leupolds.
+

Nikon E II are ten times more expensive, likely not ten times better,,, hope they work out for you Kestrel at the price point.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Oh and for the occasional flashaholic here (lol); you get a Nitecore Tube v2.0 from B&H with those new Vortexes; will report further when rec'd. ;-)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Headed to me in the mail:
1- Pocket angled monocular.
2- Brunton Echo monocular.
3- Nikon 8x25 Travelite binoculars.

Number 1 is more for examining objects up-close for finer details. Or, relatively up-close.

Number 2 is for testing out. Many consider this thing to be a toy. I do have a much better and more expensive monocular I bought over a decade ago. But was too curious to see how bad (or good) this one is.

Number 3 has a lot of reviews as possibly the absolute best Budget pair of binocs currently available. But surprisingly comes with a few excellent features many binocs costing a lot more don't have. Biggest negative being not good for star gazing. (Though personally don't care about that.) And yes, I do have other pairs of binocs. Both bigger, and smaller than the Nikon.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Just trying out the new Vortex; initial impression is that they seem to be excellent for their price point.

And in pure flashaholic fashion, the free Nitecore Tube is awesome. :-D Smaller than I thought it would be, excellent UI; I like the blue charging LED, is already clipped to my jacket zipper pull.