Appropriate Charge Rate for NiMH Batteries

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a desired voltage I should target?

The psu can go from 0 to 22, and as part of the configuration, I have both voltage and current being monitored via separate devices.

additionally is it ok to "trickle" charge nimh continously say at 10 to 20 ma at a few tenths of a volt above rated voltage?

NiMH batteries are usually charged with a constant current. You set the current to some appropriate value and then you monitor the cell voltage, the cell temperature, and the elapsed time to decide when charging should stop.

If you are using an adjustable power supply, there is usually one knob for the maximum voltage and another knob for the maximum current. To arrange for constant current charging you set the maximum current to your desired value like 200 mA and set the maximum voltage about as high as it will go. (The maximum voltage doesn't matter as it will never come into effect.)

What you now do is start the charging and watch the battery voltage (it will normally be displayed on the power supply front panel). The battery voltage will slowly increase as the charging proceeds. You should stop the charging when the battery voltage stops going up, or when the temperature of any cell starts to get uncomfortably warm, or after 12-16 hours. (You will expect the battery to be fully charged when the voltage per cell is somewhere in the region of 1.45 V to 1.60 V.)

If you are doing a slow conditioning charge at a charging current of 0.1C then you typically force the charge to proceed for 16 hours regardless of the cell voltage. You would only stop sooner than this if any cells started getting too hot.

It is of course burdensome to do this with a power supply as you have to set an alarm clock for the time and monitor the cells to make sure nothing bad is happening. A purpose designed battery charger will do the monitoring automatically and save you the trouble. However, if you have the power supply and don't mind baby-sitting your battery, it will work fine as a charger.

Last edited:

rwharold

Newly Enlightened
I would try to use the standard 0.1C charge on them (e.g. taken from the C9000's break-in procedure), using their real capacity. It may be possible that it won't degrade them so much.

I don't know, it is possible but with fast charging I wouldn't rely on this assumption. I think that if someone wants to charge fast, he or she should use the recommended 0.5C-1C range (and probably it is a good idea to use something like your 0.6C, unless it results in missed termination). If the cell longevity is a priority, the standard 0.1C should be used.

This is a general recommendation though and everything depend on the charger and batteries. The C9000 uses 1.47V maxV and Eneloops terminate at a high voltage (~1.6V @1C). I think it is quite possible that an Eneloop will reach 1.47V before it fully charges, even with currents much lower than 0.5C. If it is true, it would mean that the C9000 will terminate this Eneloop charge at maxV before it is charged, no matter what the current was.

I've contacted Maha Technical Support and the confirm the 1.47 V cut-off rate. But ADD that you should leave the Eneloops in the C-9000 charger for an additional TWO HOUS for a top-off current of 100 mA to bring the Eneloops to a 100 % charge. After two hours, the charger goes into a 10 mA trickle charge state where your can leave the Eneloops in the charger as long as you like.

chili20001

Newly Enlightened
Re: Appropriate (dis)Charge Rate for NiMH Batteries

Hi everyone, new poster so be gentle!
I also have just bought a mh-c9000 and a load of Amazonbasics pre charged rechargeable NiMH which seem to have favourable reviews comparing them to the Eneloops at half the price.
The back of the AA batteries say a standard charge of 200ma is recommended but reading through this forum that sounds like it would not be good for them. So as a rule of thumb I was told to charge the batteries at A: half their Mah, so 1000ma for a 2000Mah rated battery and B: discharge them at a quarter of the Mah, so 200ma.
Am I right in using this rule for all NiMH batteries?

Yamabushi

Enlightened

So as a rule of thumb I was told to charge the batteries at A: half their Mah, so 1000ma for a 2000Mah rated battery and B: discharge them at a quarter of the Mah, so 200ma.
Am I right in using this rule for all NiMH batteries?
The rule is OK but your arithmetic is a bit off ... a quarter of 2000mAh is 500ma.

Turak

Newly Enlightened

Boy, the debate over the 'correct/appropriate/best' charge rates is still raging strong I see.

Tom (Silverfox), myself, and others have debated/discussed this many times over the years, especially early on when I too had just found this forum.

I have noticed throughout the discussions that many people seem to latch onto certain pieces of information or read a piece of literature and suddenly take it as the 'gospel' of how its supposed to be done. Even the battery manufacturers can't 100% agree on the rates. The best they can come up with is a .1C charge rate and a .2 c discharge rate to determine capacity. But even they CANNOT agree on the BEST charge/discharge rates.....because there IS NO 'BEST' RATE!

Tom and others seem to love to quote the 'recommended' rate is '.5C to 1C'. Others seem to latch onto the recommended rate from the battery manufacturers is 200mA or some fairly low rate. Guess what, BOTH are true from certain perspectives.

The REAL TRUTH......There is NO SINGLE BEST RATE!!!!

Mostly the debate goes between the 'slower charging rate' being the 'best/better' and the other end......the 'faster charging rate' is the 'best/better'.

Each rate has it's advantages and disadvantages.....but more importantly I think its better to understand where some of this is coming from.

Let's start with the '.5C to 1C' rate is the recommended/best rate. A battery company recommendation, in particular PowerEx. Yeah, others recommend it, but trace it back funny how it started being more strongly recommended slightly after the MH-C9000 appeared.

This really came to life when the MH-C9000 came out because MAHA couldn't get the charger to terminate reliably at the lower rates.

The first versions of the MH-C9000 truly terminated on -deltaV as their 'primary rate', but the batteries were coming off the charger way 'too' HOT. I guarantee this... I had one of the early revision 'F' chargers. Everyone wondered how come my Enloops after break-ins were about 100mA higher than theirs. Then we found out about the change between revision 'F' and revision 'G and above' chargers. They then lowered the maxV voltage so that it terminated at 1.47v. Now Enloops almost ALWAYS terminate because they hit the maxV instead of -delta V. So now, maxV of 1.47V is really the primary termination method that most batteries encounter when using the MH-C9000 charger. Yeah the other methods are there, but the battery will probably never use/hit them.

As for the battery manufacturers recommendations of 200mA or really low rates.

There are a few reasons for this.

One reason is its an older hold over from the days when there were not smart chargers and 'fast' charge rates. You basically timed the charge and did it at a really low rate so the battery didn't die right away or explode.

Another reason, it is fairly hard to damage a modern 2000 mA battery charging it at 200mA and below. I didn't say it couldn't be done, just that its not easy. The battery can take that level of a charge for days and still work fine. I have torture tested Enloops charging them at 200mA for 7 days straight...yes 168 hours....guess what. They still work fine. I did notice a 3-5 mohm increase in the internal resistance though.

Here is one of the best reasons that almost everyone seems to overlook....

ALL NEW NiMH Batteries can miss their termination charge on the first few charge cycles....NO MATTER WHAT RATE YOU USE!!!!!

It take 1-5 charges on a battery before the end of charge signal (-deltaV) becomes as strong as its going to get. On some new batteries, it can take 1 or 2 cycles before you even 'see' and end of charge signal! Yes, generally speaking a larger charge rate will produce a larger end of charge signal...but not always on the first couple of charges.

That is why you see brand new batteries charged at 1A still miss their termination charge. It is also why batteries charged at ANY rate can miss their end of signal charge the first couple of cycles. I see so many people blame the charger or a low charge rate for a missed termination on a brand new battery....probably wasn't either. It was the new battery itself. Run it through a few cycles and it will terminate just fine I bet on the lower rate...that is assuming you don't have a charger that is always unreliable at the lower rates.

So...battery manufacturers play it safe and go the 'charge it at a really low rate' safe method......1. Harder to overcharge/overheat the batteries and cause a problem. 2. Don't have to worry about missing a termination charge signal. 3. Generally always get a good, complete charge.

Now with all that said, back to what is the 'best' rate. Again it varies depending on ALOT of factors; personal preference, technical factors.

There are trade-offs with each method.

Through the years and with many discussions here with Tom and others, I have finally fallen into the following patterns.

I generally try to charge them at the highest rate I can that DOES NOT cause them to get hot. Warm is ok HOT is NOT.

With a brand new AA cell, that can be .500mA, 1A or even 2A. The point is are they getting HOT. HEAT KILLS A BATTERIES LIFE (AMOUNT OF CYCLES).

Now with that said, the higher the rate, the more heat generated, so the more cycles lost. It seems to be a bell curve, where it helps to a certain point, then after a certain point, it starts killing cycle life off the battery. So again, its a trade-off.

I have found that MOST NiMH batteries, as they age, develop a higher and higher internal resistance. This in turn causes the batteries to started heating up when charged at the higher rates. So, as they age a bit and develop a higher internal resistance, I lower the rate so again they are NOT getting HOT when charged.

Some might say well why not then always just use a low charge rate? Well, larger rates do produce a larger end of charge signal. So a cheaper charger or a charger that 'needs' this to work reliably would have a problem with the lower rates. It is possible to cook a battery charging it at 200mA if you leave it on a charger for WEEKS.

Another good, often overlooked reason that I have noticed,....while I won't go as far as calling it a memory effect. I have notice that if you continually discharge or charge a battery at the low rates, it will get to where it does not like charging/discharging at the higher rates. Generally you will find it has developed a higher internal resistance. It will perform poorly under high discharge rates and heat up under high charge rates. So here you see that a low charge rate can also cause the cycle life to decrease. You generally cannot 'fix' this type of problem once it occurs.

I generally charge them at the highest rate I can when new (.5A, 1A, or 2A) where they only get warm. I will mix in a few slow (200mA or .5A) charge/discharge cycles ever now and then on a battery that always charged/discharged at a high rate (1A or 2A). Like a high output flashlight. I also do the opposite. I throw in a high rate charge/discharge cycle (1A charge/.5A discharge) on batteries that are continually used in a slow discharge rate application. Like a travel clock).

Also as the battery gets older and develops a higher internal resistance, I lower the charge rate so that they are not getting HOT when charged. Usually you will also start to see a decrease in capacity. One the capacity gets to about 70-80% of the original, I dispose of/recycle the battery

Now even though I bashed the MH-C9000 ...... I have 2 of them and find them to be one of if not the best NiMh AA/AAA Analyzer charger on the marker right now. Yes, it has some features I do not like, but so do all the other charger/analyzers out there right now. I personally own 1 - CBA II, 2 - BC900's , 2 - MH-C9000's, BT-C2000, and a BT-C3100 on the way. Like them all, for various reasons. Can't beat the CBA II for discharge testing.... But I like the MH-C9000's the best right now for newer batteries, charging, and capacity testing. I like the BC900's for older batteries, cycling older batteries, and CAN"T BEAT ITS DISPLAY METHOD...all batteries at once!

Last edited:

Etsu

Enlightened

The first versions of the MH-C9000 truly terminated on -deltaV as their 'primary rate', but the batteries were coming off the charger way 'too' HOT. I guarantee this... I had one of the early revision 'F' chargers. Everyone wondered how come my Enloops after break-ins were about 100mA higher than theirs. Then we found out about the change between revision 'F' and revision 'G and above' chargers. They then lowered the maxV voltage so that it terminated at 1.47v. Now Enloops almost ALWAYS terminate because they hit the maxV instead of -delta V. So now, maxV of 1.47V is really the primary termination method that most batteries encounter when using the MH-C9000 charger. Yeah the other methods are there, but the battery will probably never use/hit them.

Interesting. I have a couple of smart chargers I use on Eneloops, and if I remove a cell just a few minutes before it would normally terminate (judging by the other cells I leave on it), the resting voltage is very close to 1.6 volts. Of course, it drops quickly, but it seems clear that Eneloops will get up near 1.6v before the -dV kicks in. Terminating at 1.47v would definitely result in an incomplete charge on an Eneloop.

Non-Eneloops don't seem to reach anywhere near 1.6v, so perhaps the 1.47v cut-off was designed for older NiMH cell types.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Etsu,

If you leave the cells in the charger during the top off charge you will see Eneloop cells reach 1.59 to 1.60 volts during that top off period.

Tom

Turak

Newly Enlightened

Hi Tom....

Hmmm I must be doing something right....

Out of the original 24 Generation 1 Eneloops I bought and put into service around 2007...

using capacity = 2000mAh.

18 = 90% or better capacity

5 = 80-89% capacity

1 = 78% capacity. (this one got left in a clock for over 5 years. Ran totally flat. Obviously it took a hit from it capacity wise.)

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I generally try to charge them at the highest rate I can that DOES NOT cause them to get hot. Warm is ok HOT is NOT.

With a brand new AA cell, that can be .500mA, 1A or even 2A. The point is are they getting HOT. HEAT KILLS A BATTERIES LIFE (AMOUNT OF CYCLES).

One other thing about this is that some chargers heat up the batteries from the outside. The charger electronics get hot and this heat is transmitted to the battery, making it hotter than otherwise.

This is why some people might say you can charge an AA cell at 1000 mA without it overheating, while others say that 1000 mA will make it sizzling hot. The difference is probably in the charger.

One reason I like the C9000 is that it has a lot of space between the charger electronics and the charging bay. The charger itself does not cook the batteries.

DT123

Newly Enlightened

I tested recently a new charger. I can set charging current to 500/1000/1500/2000/Auto.
It claims that it sets the current automatically depending on the condition of the cell. In any case - the set current is the max current.
If I charge an empty LSD cell and set 1000 mA, then it starts with 500 mA and after about 1/3 of the charging time it is changing the current to 1000 mA.
Is there any benefit to start charging with a lower current?

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello DT123,

Some advanced chargers set the charge rate according to the cells internal resistance. The issue with a higher charge rate is that sometimes a cell will give an end of charge signal early and you end up with a cell that is only partially charged. By starting a little slower that early signal may be eliminated.

Other chargers simply ignore the cell for the first part of the charge and then monitor it later on.

Tom

DT123

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for that explanation. I didn't see something like that before so I was not sure whether this is a good feature or not.
But if I set 1000 mA and it will never increase from 500 to 1000 - isn't there a higher chance that the termination will be missed?
That charger is decharging sometimes in a cycle 1200 mAh and charging 1800 mAh or more.
I never had that behaviour with the C9000 (same cells). When I discharged 1200 then I never expected to charge more than 1500.

Capolini

Banned

What is the BEST charging rate for AAA Ni-MH 750mAh Enloops?

I have seen .5C[1A] and 500mAh?

,Thanks,,,,,,Capolini

Atum62

Newly Enlightened

What is the BEST charging rate for AAA Ni-MH 750mAh Enloops?

I have seen .5C[1A] and 500mAh?

,Thanks,,,,,,Capolini

Not quite following your notation here, 0.5C/1A would apply to 2000mAh (AA) cells. :confused:

Assuming a charge rate between 0.5C and 1.0C, you're looking at 375mA to 750mA. Most likely settings would be 500mA or 700mA. AIUI, the faster charge is more likely to produce a stronger termination signal [-deltaV], so 700mA would be a good option for cells in decent condition.

HTH.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

I charge my Eneloop AAAs up at 400mA and have hit 500mA and my AAs up at 1000mA/1A and tried 2A, once.

That's just me.

Chris

Capolini

Banned

400mA to 500MA sounds good to me.

I do not have a specific Ni-MH charger. But I have a few where I can set it to 500mA. That has been what I have been charging them at for the last 4+ years and they are working and holding up well.

I heard/saw on other threads and when I googled it that some people charged them at 1A. I think I will stick to what I have been doing,,,just was wondering if 1A was too much and would degrade the battery!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

400mA to 500MA sounds good to me.

I do not have a specific Ni-MH charger. But I have a few where I can set it to 500mA. That has been what I have been charging them at for the last 4+ years and they are working and holding up well.

I heard/saw on other threads and when I googled it that some people charged them at 1A. I think I will stick to what I have been doing,,,just was wondering if 1A was too much and would degrade the battery!

1A is only .5C for a standard Eneloop and less than .5C for a HiCap. Maha suggests .3C or above, to get the batteries hot enough to trigger dT and end termination. 500mA is only .25C.

When they wear out, they wear out and I get new ones. I don't want to trash my stuff, but I'm not going to spend extra time coddling them, either.

'Use me and abuse me,' is what she said.

Chris

Kurt_Woloch

Enlightened

The charging current doesn't matter that much regarding battery degradation. Here you can find a comparison of different charging / discharging currents:

http://aacycler.com/post/high-current-vs-low-current/

In this case, the nominal capacity is 2.1 Ah. A charge at 1.5 A (roughly 0.7 C) yielded 154 cycles when discharged to 0.9 V, and a charge at 0.5 A (roughly 0.23 C) yielded 180 cycles. So that higher charge current cost about 0.093% or 1/1066 of cycle life per cycle. This is with 0dV termination. You can also use higher charge rates if you terminate the charge properly, and much lower ones also work. I routinely charge my 8 Ah D cells at 0.5 A, which is 0.06 C, and they still works fine. I think a higher charging rate will mostly affect cycle life at the end of the charge when heat builds up since a higher charging rate generates more heat.

It really depends if you want to have your cells full fast or if you prefer a longer cycle life.

Capolini

Banned

^^^^

Thanks that makes sense to me. One of my chargers either at 500mA or 1000mA. It has been suggested by several people that some of my smaller cells[IMR 10440/16340] [Ni-MH AAA ENLOOP 750mA] should probably be charged at a lower current.

My IMR 10440 are only several months old, however I have Three[3] IMR 16340 that are almost Two years old and they are still working well after being charged at 500mA.