• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

AquaMule and AquaRam 18650 lights ** Terra versions added**

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: AquaMule and AquaRam 18650 lights

Will this battery pak host a PD head?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2

In order to properly digest an 18650 the bore of the battery tube is larger than the E-series or PD series 13/16" x20 thread system could accommodate. That's why I bumped up to 7/8" x 20. The PCB and contact ring are both larger in diameter than the PD series as well and this was important to allow Martin more real estate for the converter components. I should mention that the bore diameter for the battery chamber is 18.8 mm so it should handle any 18650 that is even close to resembling an 18650 cell in terms of diameter.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I plan to leave the custom programming and modifications to UI to Martin and the thread dedicated to it but should mention here at least how one opens the door to customizing. Martin had the door open initially but my concern was that someone not at all interested in accidentally entering would not enter by accident. For some of us, we want the light to work as we expect it to and don't want to inadvertently enter a mode unexpectedly where we need to perform certain functions in a certain sequence. Martin was able to comply with my wish that a jumper pad be included on the PCB where one would have to solder across the jumper pads in order to open the door to programming the converter. My intent at this point is to deliver the light to you guys with that jumper gap open and the door to programming closed.

It would be very easy for one of you to request me to close the jumper and program the light in a specific fashion. Easy for your request and not unreasonable BUT, not so easy for me to comply and I don't welcome the added time and discussion of what the options are or what abouts.....

There is a fair amount of potential for you guys to modify these lights both physically and operationally but I leave these modifications to you and I don't offer support in any such endeavors. Enter at your own risk. :nana:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

So if we have already placed a order, can you close the gap for us or no? :eek:

Will wait for Martin to reply in the other thread.

EDIT: Never mind Don, after reading the manual posted by Martin, looks like its just a tiny lil blob od solder to close that gap. Even I can do that, LOL!

Last edited:

rush

Newly Enlightened

Indeed the only requirement to use the setup mode is to close the jumper pads on the PCB. A blob of solder or conductive ink will do, maybe even a good layer of graphite from a pencil :)
We agreed to go this route to make sure that no unsuspecting user would get into the setup and possibly mess up the configuration of the driver.

The way the toggle sequence for entering the setup is chosen, i find that it rarely happens to me that i call the setup by mistake. It can happen however. If you know about this then all it takes is a few toggles (= level switching) to get out of the setup again without changing anything.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast

What is the head outer diameter?

PSM: we need a beamshot when you get it :)

eala

McGizmo

Flashaholic

What is the head outer diameter?

PSM: we need a beamshot when you get it :)

eala
Head OD is 1 3/8". Light is 5 3/8" long. Battery tube is 1" OD.

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guys these Aqua lights are something special. Try and get yourself one if you can.

They have a rock solid, indestructible feel about them just like the old 27LT and the beams are just perfect. The Mule has an amazingly wide angle of flood.

The U/I is pretty much perfect too and I haven't even started playing with the available driver customizations! I find it easier to move from level to level than a clicky U/I.

I'll try and find time and the words to write up a semi decent review at some stage but there are others here that are much better at such things.

One thing that I should point out is that the photo of the Mule head Don has posted above is obviously his development light as the production Mule is perfect under the lens with no scratches or re-soldering.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
AquaMule and AquaRam 18650 lights

Head OD is 1 3/8". Light is 5 3/8" long. Battery tube is 1" OD.

Do you know the weight of the light with battery? I'd like to compare with something I already have. Thanks!

Dimitris.

Newly Enlightened

Guys these Aqua lights are something special. Try and get yourself one if you can.

They have a rock solid, indestructible feel about them just like the old 27LT and the beams are just perfect. The Mule has an amazingly wide angle of flood.

The U/I is pretty much perfect too and I haven't even started playing with the available driver customizations! I find it easier to move from level to level than a clicky U/I.

I'll try and find time and the words to write up a semi decent review at some stage but there are others here that are much better at such things.

One thing that I should point out is that the photo of the Mule head Don has posted above is obviously his development light as the production Mule is perfect under the lens with no scratches or re-soldering.

mw6zoj.jpg

Pix or never happened. :D

Congrats and enjoy it in good health.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don. For the benefit of all.
Since the primary usage environment of this light is under water, in your opinion, will this light be suitable for out of water usage?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Since the primary usage environment of this light is under water, in your opinion, will this light be suitable for out of water usage?

Of course Ben!!! Have you ever owned a 27LT? It is one hell of a tank of a light, there is plenty of material to absorb the heat.

Back in the day Don made a few 27LT's from Ti. AYTYD and EricMack had one, I think only 5 were made from Ti, I got to hold one of them at SHOT show 2006 or 2008 I don't remember which. Ever since then I have lusted for a Ti 27LT. This light should survive the zombie apocalypse. Thick Ti, no Clicky to break, no Kilroy to wear out. Chunky and it runs on 18650 with plenty of warning before it leaves you in the dark, and the driver is reprogrammable 1-5 levels with 2.2A max.... What's not to like? :thumbsup:

hjdca

Newly Enlightened

What could be the issue? Heat Managment? Of course the light will stay much cooler under water.... Still, you would think, based on other titanium lights, the LED is not being overdriven enough, where water would be needed to cool it....

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast

FWIW Ben, I ran the Mule in my hand, for a walk last night, at full power for over an hour and it didn't get uncomfortably hot at all.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
AquaMule and AquaRam 18650 lights

FWIW Ben, I ran the Mule in my hand, for a walk last night, at full power for over an hour and it didn't get uncomfortably hot at all.

Wow wow wow. All three. What a grand entrance.

Thanks for all those feedback.
It serves as good record for all to see that the Aqua line is in its elements even in not so aqua environment.