Arc AAA not quite bright enough. Any mod ideas?

Steve C

Enlightened
Re: Arc AAA not quite bright enough. Any mod ideas

Okay, I figured it wouldn't be worth the effort or expense. Thanks for confirming that.

And yes, I was referring to the hard anodizing, which is olive drab in color. I have one of those still new in the packaging, for a spare; my old black AAA is going strong.

Ron, how do you compare the size and run time of the Peak 3LED AAA to the ARC? I am continually asked by acquaintances where they can get something like my ARC AAA. Lately I've been having to break the bad news...

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Peak is longer than the Arc. You see it in the head and the body. To minimize the difference, I carry with the Peak's tailcap removed. I never use it ona a lanyard or keyring anyway and it allows you to stand it on end in candle mode. Haven't done any runtime tests, but for my purposes any difference has proven inconsequential. It would be nice if the Peak was a short as the Arc, but the difference shouldn't scare you away as it's barely noticeable in the pocket.

chumley

Enlightened

My Arc AAA isn't as bright as my Arc AA or CMG Infinity Ultra. I don't think a mod is necessary, maybe my Arc AAA is dimmer than normal though, I would try an Infinity Ultra or Gerber trio first before attempting some kind of mod to the Arc AAA.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

My ArcAAAs (even the Premium) are also less bright than the according Peak (but the Peak, of course, is much younger).
Compared with two equal NiMH cells.
[ QUOTE ]
The Peak is longer than the Arc

[/ QUOTE ]
The ArcAAA style tube is available as an accessoire from Peak.

d'mo

Enlightened

Thanks for the plugs guys. For anyone interested here is the link.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

Does this one look bright enough for you?
Stock-NDT-2.jpg

Mrd 74

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
LED_ASAP said:
Does this one look bright enough for you?
Stock-NDT-2.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
Gang
Whats the runtime on that puppy?
Mike

gloworm

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the feedback guys. Seems like luxeon is the popular way to go despite the decrease in runtime and the requirement for some sort of optic/lens. What sort of runtime can you expect out of AAA moded luxeon? I guess most mods would be running at around 200ma?

Great pics ASAP

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

the lux will be driven at that range, however, it will be draining current from battery at about three times that rate. So assuming 600 mA draw and 1000 mAH is your AAA battery capacity, taking half of that capacity and you will get approximately 1 hr of runtime. It will be less as you go in higher current/ increased brightness.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

Shiftd gets close enough in estimating the run time. The only problem is that most NiHs are in the 600-800mAh range, and alkalines will not supply the 700+mA battery draw for more than 10-15min. So, the realistic runtime would be somewhere in the 40min-1h range. I haven't tried the lithium AAAs. Their price is still too high for us poor Canadian---even the online sources, after you factor in the shipping, become very expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast

led asap, is that a picture of the modified aaa against a regular arc aaa?
the modified one looks over 10 times brighter! very nice!
is it really ten times brighter in output, btw pm sent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif