ARC P AAA vs. PEAK Matterhorn AAA 3LED Ultra ???

DanMan4142

Newly Enlightened
Re: ARC P AAA vs. PEAK Matterhorn AAA 3LED Ultra

I agree. While I understand what TIN is trying to say, he went about it in an inappropriate manner IMHO. The searches are far from perfect and it is easy to miss something.

I'll chime in and say that my new 3 led hi power matterhorn is a super little light. While I cant compare it to an arc, as I dont have one, I would say it is very bright for its size and it works very well for me

Dan

Geode

Enlightened

I have owned a couple Arc AAA flashlights (both standard and LE) and the Peak 3 LED, and single LED lights. I prefer the Arc for it's ergonomics. This might sound odd since Peak made the flashlights for Arc back in the day. I also prefer the Arc AAA beam over the Peak Beam.

Those who have bought more recently - has much changed with either the Peak or Arc AAA flashlights? I will find out soon about the Arc because I'm ordering one.

paulr

Flashaholic

The new Arc (version 4) premium uses this fancy Nichia 500CS led that's almost 2x brighter than the old version. A few cpf'ers have them now, but they're on backorder so the rest of us can't buy them for a while.

The posts above were the first I've heard that the Peaks have changed in the past month. My 3-led Ultra is maybe 3 months old and it's pretty bright. I have a couple earlier Peaks and they're much less bright. I wonder how easy it is to mod these things.

I begin to feel that upgradeable leds is an important feature in any flashlight this expensive.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was reading the LED Museum review on the Matterhorn Ultra with one snow LED with interest. According to the site, here are the numbers:
Arc AAA Premium Revision 4 48,800 mcd
Peak Matterhorn Ultra (1 LED) 44,800 mcd

I have the first generation Matterhorn HO 3 LED version and love the beam color (I also had an Arc AAA-P) The LED Museum should be posting battery runtime charts in the next few days on the Peak so we can see the regulation ability and battery life. My hope is the regulation mimics the decent regulation of the Arc AAA so I can feed a NiMH rechargable in a Matterhorn 3 LED Ultra.
Since moving from N TX to south-central Turkey, it would be nice to have a keychain light with more fire power. The 3 LED version is nice in that if one LED fails, I still have two more to get me through.

MikieHead

Newly Enlightened

I spoke to Peak today. All their stock is the current NEW LEDs. I think the 3 LED Ultra has got to blow away the ARC-P in terms of total output. Not sure what the regulation or runtime will be like, but 3 LEDs putting out 44,800 mcd each (even with some loss due to the qty) should be pretty impressive. I may have to blow the budget so I can get one!!

paulr

Flashaholic

The 3-led Peak works fine on nimh. Nimh has a very flat discharge curve. I haven't measured the runtime but wouldn't expect a whole lot--that's not what the 3-led version is for.