Arc6 Review

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Great review, Carrot. One of those lights I may only dream about, but now my dreams will be much more accurate.

Geoff

Knife Boy

Newly Enlightened
Nice review. I just received my ARC 6 a week or two ago, and I am enamored with it. Just a fabulous light. Wonderful design, UI, beam...everything.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A thorough review. Thanks for posting your impressions of the light.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kick-*** review. Well done. I must admit I was surprised to see a new review of the ARC6 , but still fun to read. I have been toying with an ARC6 purchase since it came out, but like most I was put off by the availability of the K2 version and I'm waaaaay past P4 emmiters.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was really interested until they went with the P4:eek:

If it had a neutral white XP-G in it I would be really interested again:poke:

Sverre

PS! Nice review Carrot:thumbsup:

MY

Enlightened
Just curious, if one was to replace the P4 with the latest and greatest emitter without too much reflector modification, what would it be? I know that the ARC6 can put out some serious voltage so maybe a large die or multiple die unit could work?

Regards

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've admired the ArcPD for awhile.
The initial problems and fiasco turned me away immediately.
The circuit and host are without equal in many respects. I'm not a big fan of CR123 lights but I'd make the rare exception for this light... even with the $250 asking price. However to tempt me to buy one the emitters would need to be upgraded to neutral (or "outdoor") Cree XP-E or XP-G emitters in the next couple months.

Thanks for the review, it's nice to see such a potentially good light get attention.

carrot

Flashaholic
Just a quick update...

I have been carrying the Arc6 since I received it and I still really like it. I have submerged it in water and used it in heavy rain and snow on several occasions in this winter weather and it has performed to my expectations.

I did notice that it seems to have inductor whine on all but level 1 and I find this very annoying for reading in bed but in daily use I do not notice it. So, this is not the best bed-reading light, but besides that it has been nothing short of fantastic. I do go through rechargeable batteries like crazy on this thing though, mostly since I use the turbo "because it's there."

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Fantastic review Carrot and it's even better reading it now that I have a couple Arc6's. My first on has the P4 in it and I couldn't resist when I got a chance at a K2 model.

The P4 is a very nice user friendly light that with it's 3 levels should do for most anyone in the real world, but for those who want to surprise yourself, the K2 really makes the Arc6 come to life.

fyrstormer

Banned
Fantastic review Carrot and it's even better reading it now that I have a couple Arc6's. My first on has the P4 in it and I couldn't resist when I got a chance at a K2 model.

The P4 is a very nice user friendly light that with it's 3 levels should do for most anyone in the real world, but for those who want to surprise yourself, the K2 really makes the Arc6 come to life.
You should try it with an MC-E or an SST-50. :devil:

CIMG4125a.png

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Yes, it still has a low level. All I did was swap the emitters. The MC-E was a pain, though, because I had to grind down a 1981 penny (solid copper) to make a shim so it would fit properly.

EDIT: Let's try that again, with both lights in the same frame.

K2 neutral on the left, MC-E cool on the right:

CIMG4238.jpg

As you can see, the hotspot on the MC-E is comparable and the flood is much brighter. It also doesn't heat up as fast, interestingly enough.

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a great review, I have always thought so. It was probably responsible for tipping the balance and convincing me to get one finally.

Now that I have a working ARC6, it has become one of my EDC lights and I am considering another to mod as you and others suggest. This is a testament to the light and its superb design, not in the efficiency of the company that makes them. Over six months since the order was placed and three duds I have endured before this one, and yes I have paid customs charges on each and every one! Even after all that, I would still buy another.

Nice light.

BTW - my latest one seems to have a much softer spring, making it very easy to use. Maybe they've listened to our complaints?

kiely23+

Enlightened
How many amps is the MC-E getting?
thanks...

Yes, it still has a low level. All I did was swap the emitters. The MC-E was a pain, though, because I had to grind down a 1981 penny (solid copper) to make a shim so it would fit properly.

EDIT: Let's try that again, with both lights in the same frame.

K2 neutral on the left, MC-E cool on the right:

CIMG4238.jpg

As you can see, the hotspot on the MC-E is comparable and the flood is much brighter. It also doesn't heat up as fast, interestingly enough.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
My third one was a dud, and I'm awaiting arrival of its replacement. I will be most interested to see if it has a higher serial number than my first one.

Of the four I have had pass through my possession, the serial numbers seemed to be all over the place. In the areas, 8300-8400, 00-99, 0200-0300 - all these were duds. My current one is 0087 - so I'm not sure how they assign these numbers, I doubt if they have much of a system, just made all the pieces and fit them together as they come.

I wonder how many are out there in use? I haven't seen anybody else in the UK with one, yet.

I think I will definately start saving up for another, and when I get it just mod it with the most efficient LED available. I wonder if it would be possible to use the GD led in a Ra 85Tr so that my ARC6 can have a low red output? Anybody out there know?

BTW - I too lament the passing of the ARC sub forum. I guess we'll all have to keep posting in the various ARC threads - especially as the search function won't support three letter searches!

ABTW - Fyrstormer - in your comparison beamshot, are you operating two ARC6's in momentary with one hand???

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
How many amps is the MC-E getting?
thanks...
Both lights are running at 1.4 amps on the highest setting.

Of the four I have had pass through my possession, the serial numbers seemed to be all over the place. In the areas, 8300-8400, 00-99, 0200-0300 - all these were duds. My current one is 0087 - so I'm not sure how they assign these numbers, I doubt if they have much of a system, just made all the pieces and fit them together as they come.

I wonder how many are out there in use? I haven't seen anybody else in the UK with one, yet.
8300, huh? I haven't seen any that high. Well, hopefully that means they actually sold that many, and hopefully the vast majority are in use.

I think I will definately start saving up for another, and when I get it just mod it with the most efficient LED available. I wonder if it would be possible to use the GD led in a Ra 85Tr so that my ARC6 can have a low red output? Anybody out there know?
I believe the red output requires reversing the voltage on the emitter -- the Arc6 driver doesn't have that capability, at least not with stock programming, and I don't think anyone's dared to try writing their own programming for it yet.

Fyrstormer - in your comparison beamshot, are you operating two ARC6's in momentary with one hand???
Yes, I'm just that awesome. :cool:

No, I twisted them both into high mode before taking the picture. :crazy: