ArcMania Super MJ LED 3mm upgrade for Maglight Solitaire Flashlight: any review?

*Retired*
Re: Wow, this Solitaire really kicks a.... (with the help of a MJLED)

KevinL said:
Read the review here: http://lights.lightrefineries.org/?page_id=140

No kidding...

Really no kidding....

I stack it up against an Arc AAA PREMIUM and it can still hold its own!!

Do you think you could do some bracketed beamshots so one can judge the comparision shots to the ARC AAA?

As it is, the shot is over saturated, and you can't get a reference for the hotspot intensity, and it is difficult to judge the flood area on the other end.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Gothmog :)

NewBie: Will do, I'll do the -1 and -2 stop underexposed thing.

*Retired*

KevinL said:
Hmm...

I will post them as links since they are not supported as embedded images.

Normal

-1 stop

-2 stops

This shot of yours really helps a lot, thank you!

-2 stops

Any chance you could overexpose by two stops so we could look at the flood area?

It looks that on your website, the ARC AAA is making a lot more light in the flood area (but I am not certain). From these shots, it is obvious that the ARC AAA has a hot spot that is about 6 times larger in area (not diameter but area).

Do you white balance your camera before the shots? The reason I ask, is that I am wondering if this apparently new MJLED is pure perfect white as shown in your photos, unlike the other MJLED series products that have a slight blue tint.

Thanks again for your efforts, and doing the grunt work. I have some of these products in bound myself, to take a look at.

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, I'm aware that the tints are not 100% accurate. I am lazy, I leave it to AWB, and that's not always good for shooting lights. I'll see if I can lock it on daylight 5600K next time round. I don't think the tints are as perfect as they seem to be, and from what I know about the cameras, they AWB for one light and do not for the other, thereby exaggerating the tint.

+2 stops, 5600K color-temp WB

Personally, I feel that both of them are a little blue as are most 5mm products in this class like the Fenix E0/E1. Definitely not the white from the Luxeon we're used to :)

Is daylight 5200K or 5600K? I think it's 5600 but I can't quite recall.

*Retired*

Thats outstanding, thanks!

Usually daylight is considered 5600 K, but if you look into it a bit, you find it varies a lot throughout the day.

This was a measurement I performed in March, at 10:30 AM:

sunligh2.jpg

Indirect sunlight on a clear day is usually over 10,000K.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

You're welcome.. thanks for sharing your graph too :)

I think I'll use 5600K as daylight, I find that my camera adds a hint too much blue when it's set to 5200K (which it shipped with by default).

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Using 3mm SMJ BP Drop-in for Solitaire, Miniminimag and Minimag1AAA

Hi, all.

Just a quick post about this cool bi-pin dropin made by ArcMania. It is probably a very well known mod part for Solitaire, but I also discovered that it works just as well in miniminimag or the minimag 1AAA.

SMJSoliBipin01.jpg

SMJSoliBipin02.jpg

SMJSoliBipin03.jpg

A very brief intro, this 3mm SMJ bi-pin dropin is rather easy to use in modding the solitaire. The best part is one doesn't even have to drill out the reflector of the solitaire(which could be a pain in the butt and needs practice to get it erfect)

SMJSoliBipin04.jpg

Candlemode for the BP dropin with Soli.

SMJSoliBipin05.jpg

Another picture of the soli in action.

SMJSoliBipin06.jpg

The only sad part about the easy drop-in is it will not allow the bezel of the soli to screw in all the way, which leave a little gap in between. I guess it is just not possible to have the cake and eat it too...

SMJSoliBipin07.jpg

A short distance beamshot of the modded soli.

SMJbpbeamshot2.jpg

ARCPbeamshot2.jpg

top pix: SMJ BP dropin + Soli
bottom pix: ARC-P
From the pictures, it looks the soli with the BP drop-in is outputting similar amount of light to ARC-P, but the hotspot of the 3mm SMJ is probably brighter.

SMJSoliBipin08.jpg

I think the best kept secret about this little wonder is the fact that it works really well with the Minimag 1AAA or miniminimag. So far, AFAIK, there is no known product that is designed for this configuration.

SMJBPsoli1AAA.jpg

SMJBPmini1AAA.jpg

SMJBPmini1AA.jpg

SMJmini2AA.jpg

Here is a set of pix that compares 3mm SMJ BP drop-in to 5mm SMJ in minimag 2AA...
Top pix: Solitaire + 3mm SMJ BP drop-in
Second pix from top: Minimag 1AAA + 3mm SMJ BP drop-in
Third pix from top: Miniminimag 1AA + 3mm SMJ BP drop-in
Bottom pix: 5MM SMJ + Minimag 2AA

Measuring the hotspot lux reading 1m from the flashlight:
5mm SMJ + Minimag 2AA 414 lux
3mm SMJ bi-pin drop-in + minimag 1AA 554 lux
3mm SMJ bi-pin drop-in + minimag 1AAA 142 lux
3mm SMJ bi-pin drop-in in soli 99 lux
ARC-P 67 lux

The 3mm SMJ bi-pin dropin with Minimag 1AA actually outshines the 5mm SMJ in 2AA minimag. I think the main reason is because it has a smaller emitting pad which allows a more intense hotspot to form. It may not be perfectly regulated like some aftermarket product, but enough to make one appreciate its value. Much to thank is ArcMania to make this avialible to us.

:)

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
ArcMania Solitaire LED upgrade rocks

I've had a Mag Solitaire around the house for at least ten years. It has pretty much not been used because the light output was pathetic. I just recently found it laying around and remembered a few threads about a drop in for it. I researched CPF and read the review on Flashlightreviews.com and decided to order an ArcMania LED drop in to try it out. I was ordering other stuff from Lighthound anyway and thought that for $13 I would take a gamble. Well let me tell you, I am very pleasantly surprised. It works real well. It is about as bright as my older original AAA Arc (not the ARC AAA-P). The beam is adjustable too. If you have a stock Solitaire lying around getting no use I would highly recommend this dropin for the price.

nelstomlinson

Newly Enlightened
Re: ArcMania Solitaire LED upgrade rocks

I had Tektite's LT-3 drop-in for the Solitaire, and I thoght it was overpriced and under-powered. I just got Arcmania's drop-in, and it's cheaper and brighter. This time, I think I got my money's worth. I'm back to carrying my Solitaire on my key chain.

This is actually cheap enough that it makes sense to buy a solitaire and one of these drop-ins from Lighthound: the two together give a reasonable little light for under $20.

Nels

whippoorwill

Enlightened

I agree. Resurrected a couple of Solitaires using these. Almost as much light as the Arc AAA-P but costs a whole lot less, plus you can focus the beam. Neat idea and it works.:rock:

Mike L.

Newly Enlightened

I've got two Solitares that date back to the Camel cigarette promotions, if anybody remembers those. Most of the anodizing is gone, but now they work like a keychain light should with these modules installed. Free shipping from our friends at Lighthound, too. I had one module go bad after a few days, and it was replaced quickly by Lighthound without hassle.

--Mike

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Thanks in advance

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Np official reviews but some of these threads have pictures and beamshots.

(Thanks for the links!! Moderator removes links due to merged threads...)

Last edited by a moderator:

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
LEDninja said:
Np official reviews but some of these threads have pictures and beamshots....zip

And wouldn't you have a url to the manifacturer's web page?

Huge thanks

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Oddjob said:
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2217

http://home.mchsi.com/~lambda_lights/solit.htm

I got my solitaire bulb from Lambda Lights as well as some other mag drop-ins with no issues. Lighthound also has good service.

And also Sandwich Shoppe has.
And here the mess starts: Sandwich sells the SMJLED2 3mm drop in for solitaire, whilst Lambda and Lighthound the SMJLED (version 1) one.

Oddjob, LEDninja: I'm lost. Is there any difference? If so, where is it? :thanks:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the Sandwich Shoppe amd Lighthound versions look the same to me. Delicate little thing. The lighthound one did not survive the trip so I cannot compare performance between the 2. I only got the module because I have a clicky switch that fits my Solitaire and it's bulb had burned out. It is a rather expensive way to go. $5-$10 for the Solitaire + $12-$15 for the upgrade module + shipping.

I suggest buying a TM-310H which is brighter and cheaper. $9 + shipping.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99836&highlight=TM-310H
http://store.advancedmart.com/nu5waposiled.html
Or a Fenix E1 which is more solidly built than both the TM-310H and the Solitaire, It is brighter but has a ringy beam. $24 shipped
The E0 is well built, dimmer than the Solitaire module but much brighter than the stock Solitaire bulb. $20 shipped.
http://fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_49&osCsid=0352e46e07ad4e79a81545e3baf10001
Note 4SEVENS do not charge shipping so the $24 o $20 is what you pay. Can not remember if the CPF5 discount code works for these lights.

Last edited:

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
LEDninja said:
Both the Sandwich Shoppe amd Lighthound versions look the same to me. Delicate little thing. The lighthound one did not survive the trip so I cannot compare performance between the 2. I only got the module because I have a clicky switch that fits my Solitaire and it's bulb had burned out. It is a rather expensive way to go. $5-$10 for the Solitaire + $12-$15 for the upgrade module + shipping.

I suggest buying a TM-310H which is brighter and cheaper. $9 + shipping.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99836&highlight=TM-310H
http://store.advancedmart.com/nu5waposiled.html
Or a Fenix E1 which is more solidly built than both the TM-310H and the Solitaire, It is brighter but has a ringy beam. $24 shipped
The E0 is well built, dimmer than the Solitaire module but much brighter than the stock Solitaire bulb. $20 shipped.
http://fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_49&osCsid=0352e46e07ad4e79a81545e3baf10001
Note 4SEVENS do not charge shipping so the $24 o $20 is what you pay. Can not remember if the CPF5 discount code works for these lights.

The game is between the SMJLED2 at Sandwich (2 at 18 plus shipping), Fenix E1
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_e1.htm
and Inova X0 (new version)
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_x1.htm

E1 is a very good performer but 1h 40' to 50% with alkaline cells is simply ridiculous. Then Fenix lights have a bad reputation of being o-ring eaters.
Also L1P and L0D are good options.

Latest posts