Are LED light's circuit board shielded against strong EMF and RFI?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
If they're using Hall Effect sensors as that thread indicates, I would expect it to be activated by strong magnetic fields. On the one hand this is an interesting design and was probably done for reliability - get rid of the mechanical corrosion-prone metal contacts and perform the on/off switching with a solid state sensor. This will enable the switch to provide reliable service for a long, long time. On the other hand, they probably need to include some mu-metal shielding around the Hall effect sensor to prevent accidental activation from external magnetic stimuli.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
Thank you all for the great inputs, the main reason I am asking this question is because some flashlight manufacturers advertise their lights as designed to "Mil-Spec", so I am assuming a piece of equipment designed and tested to military specifications generally speaking are shielded against some EMP and RFI no? . . . .

No. There are thousands of Military Specs - unless they say which part of which Military Spec it complies with, it's one of those brilliant Marketing strikes - makes the customer believe wonderful things about the product, and if challenged, they justify the statement by giving one trivial example of Spec compliance.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
. . On the other hand, they probably need to include some mu-metal shielding around the Hall effect sensor to prevent accidental activation from external magnetic stimuli.

Exactly - the results show that there was inadequate field testing of the design - typical customers are having serious problems - a flashlight turning on and flattening the battery is a serious problem.

If the problem only happened close to an MRI machine, you could accept it, but not from fridge magnets or cars starting.

It doesn't have to be MuMetal - a piece of steel will provide provide serious magnetic field shielding.

Maybe just reducing the sensitivity - a small magnet so close to the sensor creates a huge Magnetic field.

ganymede

Enlightened
No. There are thousands of Military Specs - unless they say which part of which Military Spec it complies with, it's one of those brilliant Marketing strikes - makes the customer believe wonderful things about the product, and if challenged, they justify the statement by giving one trivial example of Spec compliance.

That's what I thought as well... :sssh:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Mil-spec" is as much a buzz word as "tactical" in a marketing department.

-Trevor

ganymede

Enlightened

ottsego

Newly Enlightened
This is great stuff ! It's all I needed to know :) the microwave test in posted link answered all my questions. I think that if flashlight can easily withstand such abuse it could easily survive an EMP !

tam17

Enlightened
In response to the OP's question - there's a visible flickering in low mode of a current-regulated flashlight (Fenix LD01 R4) when it's placed few centimeters from a GSM cell phone during a text message transmission.

I'm not an expert on RF so I'm not sure if this is a normal occurence for a flashlight. So far I've witnessed only usual side effects of GSM transmission on PC loudspeakers and some CRT displays.

Cheers

CyberCT

Enlightened
In response to the OP's question - there's a visible flickering in low mode of a current-regulated flashlight (Fenix LD01 R4) when it's placed few centimeters from a GSM cell phone during a text message transmission.

I'm not an expert on RF so I'm not sure if this is a normal occurence for a flashlight. So far I've witnessed only usual side effects of GSM transmission on PC loudspeakers and some CRT displays.

Cheers

Google EMP bags and there are bags you can put electronics in. I'm going to buy some for my electronics when I get home and keep them in there for storage.

lwknight

Enlightened
As a ham operator , I can tell you that we always keep anything that we care about away from the tip of the antenna.
A 50 watt 2 meter mobile radio can wreak havoc on anything electrical if exposed near the antenna tip.