Are there any 18650 lights that have no stepdown at 1000 lumens?

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call me the Missouri flashlight guy, but unless I see a runtime chart such as the one below, I will remain skeptical about any claim that a 1x18650 flashlight will hold its 1000-lumen output for an extended period. The Nitecore EC4, in the chart below, can do it, but it is a 2x18650 flashlight.

Peak Beam intensity measured 28400lx @1m giving a beam range of 337m.

There is parasitic drain at 315uA which will fully deplete 3400mAh cells in 1.23 years.

Output on Turbo is never stepped down (partly due to the enhanced heatsinking provided by the die-cast body) and is well regulated for the entire runtime.

NITECORE%20EC4%20runtime.jpg

[Emphasis added.]

Several flashlights have been mentioned in this thread that do not have a step-down, per se, but that does not mean they have flat runtimes. Most/all of them slip into a declining direct-drive-like output after a short period at 1000 lumens.

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
The Nitecore EC4 is capable of a flat runtime because its body (die cast aluminum) is a much better heat sink that traditional bodies. I own the EA45S which is virtually the same, except it runs on 4xAA batteries. Even at 200lm it has plenty of throw and brightness for most activities.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are There Any 18650 Lights That Have No Stepdown At 1000 Lumens?

I might need another light now!

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore EC4 is capable of a flat runtime because its body (die cast aluminum) is a much better heat sink that traditional bodies. I own the EA45S which is virtually the same, except it runs on 4xAA batteries. Even at 200lm it has plenty of throw and brightness for most activities.

Indeed. At 1000 lumens, the Nitecore EC4 is not driven too hard, either.

It is interesting to note that the Nitecore EC4S and EC4SW, both of which use a nearly identical die-cast design, cannot stay in regulation in their turbo modes. Of course, those two lights are pushing 2000 lumens or more in their turbo modes. Down-shift either of them to 1000 lumens, and they do just fine. You get a nice, flat 1000 lumens.

ckeilah

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore TM06S, FTW! It should have no problem creeping along at 1/4 it's rated maximum level for the duration of the battery charge. But where to find one at a *reasonable price*? That is the big question.

Trashman531

Newly Enlightened
As far as I know, nitecore mh20 has no stepdown. They did a nice job with thermal regulation in this light. I love mine!

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
As far as I know, nitecore mh20 has no stepdown. They did a nice job with thermal regulation in this light. I love mine!

I know the thermal regulation is ok but I thought it did step down on turbo but on on high appears pretty well regulated.
Anyways, I have the nitecore pg12gt which I got the mh20gt but it is what it is. There will always be a better light out. Not sure if the p12gt has any advantages over the mh20gt.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read a review on the nitecore MH20GT earlier today, if you put it into "pro mode" you can get turbo with no step down and it was ~1000 lumens.

I've got 2 OR M@ turbo heads - one in SST50 (4500K) and one in XML2, both run 1000 lumens (direct drive). They also don't seem to heat up as fast as small lights.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Any details of how to do this? Link to the review?
What? Awe man, I already got the P12GT but I am pretty happy.
I put "pro mode" with the quotes on google and the German flashlight forum showed up. That is pretty cool though.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't read all the posts. But I think Armytek has some lights that will run WOT until you kill your battery. If that is what you want. Good luck.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Armytek lights run WOT? What is WOT?
And how do you put the Nitecore in "pro mode" so the output wont drop?

Last question, what is the brightest 18650 on high mode with a true lumen output it can maintain from beginning to end?

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
WOT = Wide Open Throttle. In other words, flat out on the highest mode without a stepdown.

I need WOT.
Armytek lights? Will have a look. Thanks guys.
If you know any other lights or models of the armyteks s that run WOT I'm all ears.
Thanks a million.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hound Dog..................i am going to need me one of them!! Seen and heard it too many times now :laughing:

For output and reliability, it seems as good as it gets!

The Hound Dog maintains 900 lumens if ran on two 18mm cells. Not sure if the OP is asking about *one* 18650 or two. The HD has great heat sinking, potted, etc. This is why it can maintain 1,000 lumens and other lites that claim as much, cannot.

the more cells, the more efficiency, the more lumens, the better runtime, etc. Obviously. It would even better on 3x18650 if that could be arranged.

This is why laptops have 9 18mm cells. If they only used say 3, you would get a lot less than 1/3 runtime.

Pretty much with these high powered lites, you need something like 4x18650 or even 6x18650, to maintain your mega lumens for a few hours.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Hound Dog maintains 900 lumens if ran on two 18mm cells. Not sure if the OP is asking about *one* 18650 or two. The HD has great heat sinking, potted, etc. This is why it can maintain 1,000 lumens and other lites that claim as much, cannot.

the more cells, the more efficiency, the more lumens, the better runtime, etc. Obviously. It would even better on 3x18650 if that could be arranged.

This is why laptops have 9 18mm cells. If they only used say 3, you would get a lot less than 1/3 runtime.

Pretty much with these high powered lites, you need something like 4x18650 or even 6x18650, to maintain your mega lumens for a few hours.

Like I said before, P60 is a GREAT choice here. Consider one of the single mode Sportac drop-ins. They can actually run on 2x18650 (unlike the two mode drop-ins). And on 2x18650, regulation is VERY flat. Get a Solarforce L2-D18 2x18650 tube and a Kryos Cooling Bezel. Wrap that module in foil for good heat (and electrical) transfer, and you are good to go.