no more micro usb

raggie33

*the raggedier*
for real i hate micro usb why do they still use it?

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpeg
    IMG_0012.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 39

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Standards do not change and become obsoleted overnight. They're not supposed to.

That said, I find the adoption of USB historically as a standard for power interconnection to be questionable at best. I lean towards things which are more designed / optimized for purpose; but it's here to stay.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Why? That's just what some folks have. My mom's very basic 4G flip-phone uses that type of charging cable. Ironically it's been reliable. My best chargers are the Nitecore U1, and U2. They are both definitely not USB-C. But they literally charge up every single type of rechargeable battery that currently exists in the world.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing that frustrates the heck out of me that there isn't even consistency within USB C charging, like devices that won't charge C to C, so that's a need for another charger and cable or have to settle for slower charge rates and just have 1.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
One thing that frustrates the heck out of me that there isn't even consistency within USB C charging, like devices that won't charge C to C, so that's a need for another charger and cable or have to settle for slower charge rates and just have 1.
USB-C power delivery is a bit messy. It requires 5.1k pulldown resistors and a digital protocol to negotiate the voltage request,

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like we have more pressing issues than micro USB's admittedly somewhat inferior design.
You're right, and to some extent it's not just the connector(s), but also the use of 5VDC as a power source for certain things in the first place, as that also imposed limitations. I suppose that's lead to the whole PD thing to get the voltage up to something it probably should have been in the first place for delivering power (?). Hey, it took cars a long time to go from 6V to 12! ;-)

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
About 80% of usb things I have at home use micro, no complaints, I still have few things that use mini usb, and a printer that uses square usb.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
usb c is my fav . but ni matter what port a light has i always grab the wrong dang cable

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
usb c is my fav . but ni matter what port a light has i always grab the wrong dang cable
"Any port in a storm" rags, and life has lots of storms!

The smart money probably marks their cables, but I haven't gotten that smart yet. For want of a few small Ty-Raps in the right spots, fools like me suffer - and it's not like I don't have them. I deserve it!

Thanks for reminding me I need to do that.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Honestly, I feel a bit cheated when my Nitecore UMS4 arrived. Based on the images, I was certain it was USB-C, because of course it is! It requires power, naturally it is USB-C these days - and I didn't think to read the fine print that said "micro-USB"...

But oh no, that is actually micro-USB, with (fortunately) an included USB-A to micro-USB cable. Just pure luck that one of the chargers for my phone had a USB-A outlet so I could actually use the UMS4, because any power adapter that I have and can find that can deliver more than 15 Watts is USB-C.

I have no luck finding the specifications for power delivery through micro-USB. My only guess why Nitecore went with micro-USB, is precisely because it is so hard to find cables, so certain people won't use cheap, inferiour USB-C cables. But if that really is the case, then I am not impressed with the quality of the included cable. I like overkill, so I prefer using a 100 W certified cable for my 25 W charging needs - and I find no specs for the included cable AT ALL!!

EDIT:
I wrote a whole rant on the Nitecore UMS4 here: