Aspheric mag.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The emitter is huge - 22 mm diameter compared to 3mm square for an SST-90 and I think 1.8mm square for an XM-L. That means you will need a huge aspheric if you want it to focus well. Huge like >200mm.

These emitters are not intended to be focused. They are for area illumination. For 4K lumens focused you are much better off looking at the CSM-360 or similar parts from Luminus. Their emitters will be around 6mm square. Probably just a bit more as there's gaps between the 4x3mm dice.

little nick

Newly Enlightened
Aparently DX have posted the correct lenses - it was a supply issue
Watch this space

I almost ended up doing a 3s XML under 21mm aspherics instead, but they were out of stock - just as well!

I should get them in a couple of weeks & I'll let you know!

little nick

Newly Enlightened
Aparently DX have posted the correct lenses - it was a supply issue
Watch this space

I should get them in a couple of weeks & I'll let you know!

Well - it looks good - the replacement lenses have turned up & they look correct.

I hope to check it infront of the LED within 2 days - but by eye - it looks like a aspheric of the dimensions on the DX site - so panic over!

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool.

I was recently involved in a Search and Rescue op where we were using the trispheric (3x SST-50's and 44mm aspheric lenses) search light. At a debrief we had tonight with 5 other boat crews everyone was wanting one! So its good to know they are back in stock.

Can you confirm the SKU??

Last edited:

little nick

Newly Enlightened
Cool.

I was recently involved in a Search and Rescue op where we were using the trispheric (3x SST-50's and 44mm aspheric lenses) search light. At a debrief we had tonight with 5 other boat crews everyone was wanting one! So its good to know they are back in stock.

Can you confirm the SKU??
by all means:
SKU4558 - pack of 5

little nick

Newly Enlightened
It looks like the lense has changed slightly - for the worst

The focal length is about 20-25mm, instead of the 15mm in Packs first build. I guess this will make it less efficient. This makes assembly a bit of a pain in the Mag, as i have to push the heat sink inside the battery tube, instead of flush with the end. This is a pain - as I have to grind the lip off the heat sink. It looks like a tight beam though. I might position it off focus point - to get a slightly larger spot.
It looks like it will be slightly better than a XML & Ahorton aspheric - but not sure!

little nick

Newly Enlightened
Well - all complete, bar fitting it to a canister & although the change in focal length is a pain - it is still an impressive light.
Pressure tested OK
I have left it out of focus a small ammount - to get a slightly larger hot spot & it looks great. Much brighter than my xml / Ahorton combination.

Looking forward to diving with it!
Pack - thanks for the inspiration

little nick

Newly Enlightened
Well - I actually got to dive with this light at long last - what can I say..................WOW

This is definately my light of choice now. The xml / Ahorton was / is a great combination - but the 44mm lense is the next step up.

If you want a simple light (light sabre) for dirty water - this is the mod for you!

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, its a great combo. Its actually very comparable to my original quad aspheric mag using 21mm plastic aspherics ( cut down in size) and XR-E LED's but a whole lot easier to build.