Australian source for HID at last

t3h

Newly Enlightened
I've just ordered said HID from Electus. Will see how it turns out.

t3h

Newly Enlightened
hid_kit.jpg

Sorry, no lit shots yet (I've powered it up and it works... just slipped my mind to take a picture. Maybe it was the awesome light-ness.

The 12v end terminates to two male spade connectors (hence the "no cuts to factory wiring", and the equally pushed message of "don't fit this into a car, that would be illegal", complete with a list of what sizes go into what cars, and a car in the background of every manual page :) (yes, i know the chinese factory thinks something different to what Jaycar is allowed to sell it for)).

And the big thing over the bulb is a plastic cover that comes straight off the bulb.

Now I've just got to work out form factor etc.

Edit: I've just fired up said light. Not really sure how to get a shot of it running in said room. But it's very bright.

Last edited:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on what seems to be your first HID Kit, its fun to play with RAW power :naughty:

If you need advice, just post. Im shore we can help. ;)

t3h

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on what seems to be your first HID Kit, its fun to play with RAW power :naughty:

Yep, it's my first HID kit. Don't think I'll ever play with standard incandescents again - just excessively high wattage halogen, LED and HID :D

(heh, and to think... a year ago I had two 2xAA maglites.)

So far my ideas about what to do with it is to have an approximately 1.5M cable from a 7AH SLA battery in a backpack. Then have a small 3D M@g sized thing with bulb and ballast (it might even be a 3D mag or similar - dremel out an I-shaped cut from the top, then fold out flat and mount ballast on it).

Can anyone what the distance is between the light emission position and the front glass is (i.e. how far have I got for the end of the bulb) in such a light? I'm thinking of removing everything behind the reflector and having the back of the bulb in the body of the light.

And if there's room, 3 (or maybe 6 depending on the state of the AUD and my lighting fund) x18650 for backup power in there too. Should provide for some minutes of light without a heavy battery.

I've realised that I don't really like the form factor of that light above - carrying round a battery that heavy in your hands and being careful of touching something insanely hot is quite annoying after a while. And 100W kills the SLA quite fast.

Also, I might swap out the bulb with a 4300K one eventually - apparently they appear much brighter (although I do actually like the 6000K tint...).

t3h

Newly Enlightened
After Uni exams I'll take a better look. Bit busy at the moment.

aussiebob

Enlightened
:mad:Bugger... just took a 60min drive to jaycar this morning to buy one and they dont sell the damn things, are they online only or what??

Im looking at putting it in a 12v H4 spotlight ive got, theres heaps of room inside it for the ballast and thought it would be a good first mod to make.

Cheers

t3h

Newly Enlightened
Dunno, I bought from Electus (Jaycar's wholesaler). But online is probably a good bet.

Using an existing H4 spotlight... heh, makes it nice and easy.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
:mad:Bugger... just took a 60min drive to jaycar this morning to buy one and they dont sell the damn things, are they online only or what??

Im looking at putting it in a 12v H4 spotlight ive got, theres heaps of room inside it for the ballast and thought it would be a good first mod to make.

Cheers
Add a few extra dollars and get a full kit (not half) off Flea-bay, you could either mod another light for a friend/relative OR just sell it off to someone here @ CPF (provided you're both working within the same time frame) :thumbsup:

Well t3h how'd your H4 HID conversion get on? :popcorn:

t3h

Newly Enlightened
Haven't bought the H4 spotlight yet. Jaycar seems to have a few assorted spotlights, I might buy a small one and fit this into it.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can highly recommend the H3 format, the only modification (as far as mounting the lamp goes) is sorting out the retention clip... no focusing required (unlike the H4's) :thumbsup:

KrisP

Enlightened
The filament/arc on the HID globe and H4 globe are different distances from the base of the globe so the H4 based HID globe needs to be spaced back to get the same focus as a normal H4 globe.

H3 globe and HID globes have a very similar distance from the base to the arc/filament.

t3h

Newly Enlightened
I bought a "JohnLite NiteSearchEye" for $30 at the Battery Bar. After removing the somewhat bright 6v halogen, the black mountings, and the small 6V SLA, I glued a small ring to the back of the reflector, and then the plastic HID bulb base to the ring so it was spaced back.

I removed the fins from the inside so the ballast went where the 6v battery was. Then I wired up a new switch on the side, and ran the wire out the other side to a 7ah SLA. It's bright :D

Unfortunately, the ballast overheated after about an hour (maybe I should give it vent holes), and in disassembling the light, the epoxy came undone, and the bulb/spacer/reflector separated. I might get some more epoxy today, reglue it, and leave it alone for a while before testing :D

But I'm satisfied with the result.

Edit: Oh, and the glass in the front gets _very_ hot. Is there another sort that I should replace it with?

Last edited: