Australian source for HID at last

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
what epoxy did you use?

When you say the ballast over heated...

Did it fail & shut off? Is it still working?

All my lights Incan or HID, the glass in the front gets very hot. I cant see that being an issue at all.

You really need to post a pic of this light when its finished

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
The filament/arc on the HID globe and H4 globe are different distances from the base of the globe so the H4 based HID globe needs to be spaced back to get the same focus as a normal H4 globe.

H3 globe and HID globes have a very similar distance from the base to the arc/filament.
+1

I couldn't have worded it any better myself :thumbsup:

BTW I don't suppose you've any new HID projects on the horizon KrisP? :thinking:

KrisP

Enlightened
Unfortunately, I haven't even finished the one that we shared the HID kit for... I haven't had the time or patience to create the spacer for the globe so it's sitting around in pieces still :(

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh that's a shame to hear that... I did make 2 collars but ended up using the 'prototype' in a recent Thor Colossus HID conversion, would you like me to whip one up for you? (obviously you'll need to fine tune it your end) :thinking:

PM if interested ;)

BTW the new version utilizes self tapping screws in preference over pot rivets (dramatically easier to remove/replace) :thumbsup:

t3h

Newly Enlightened
what epoxy did you use?

Just normal araldite. Don't think I left it long enough to dry.

When you say the ballast over heated...

Did it fail & shut off? Is it still working?

It just switched off. Yes, it's still working.

All my lights Incan or HID, the glass in the front gets very hot. I cant see that being an issue at all.

It just annoys me that that energy is wasted...

You really need to post a pic of this light when its finished

hidtorch.jpg

Last edited:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
also try Bunnings for ~$28

t3h, what bulb did you use? H3 or H7?

H3 in that reflector actually produces a huge beam good for close distances. H7 has a huge black hole in the center hostpot. Im beaten theres more Torch lumens tho with H7.

Going by the pic you posted of your HID Kit, its a H3 bulb, looks short.

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! :D

Personally I'm after another RT3500 host however I'm not prepared to pay what Bunnings (locally) are asking for it $80.00 :mad:

I'm curious why you believe there's more output from a H7 globe?

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know how you feel,

$85 for a cheap *** halogen light:shakehead It's high way robbery.

It just seemed to look like there was more lumens to my eye with H7, granted its beam is ugly. I really have to take photos to see if this is true.

BTW they have updated the RT500 reflector in the past year, its reflector is more shallow.

t3h

Newly Enlightened
I might have to dremel in some air holes, the ballast does overheat after a while...

Norm

Retired Administrator
I'd like to see the unfocused beam shots too :)
:shrug: What do you mean unfocused? the focus is very tight.
The Filament on the original globe was at exactly the same hight as the Xenon globe.
Norm
Not the greatest pictures but you get the idea, after having the light on for ten minutes I was being bombarded by every flying bug for miles around.

Last edited:

KrisP

Enlightened
:shrug: What do you mean unfocused? the focus is very tight.
The Filament on the original globe was at exactly the same hight as the Xenon globe.
Norm
The filament on a H4 globe is at a different height to the arc on a H4 based D2S globe (the standard HID kit type). M@elstrom and I both put a HID kit into a spotlight that was focused with a H4 globe but very unfocused with the HID kit until spaced back to the correct focal point.

Your pics look very focused and you don't seem to have the shadow from the wire that runs up the side of the HID globe... Did you just get a normal kit or does it have special globes? [edit - I just looked at your thread and your globes look exactly the same as ours. I guess your reflector is making the difference]

Last edited: