Australian source for HID at last

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heres my little idea.

Shoved a 35w HID kit into this little baby. 4200K Bulb ~3200lumens.

Runs off the car. :)

this little tacker is great, 3000+ lumens anytime in my car:rock:

I too have been pondering a small handheld HID spotlight for work (currently using a 75w 'Lightforce' unit), I think you're onto something here and I can live with being slugged $28~$30 for a host casing... now who to annoy for a 35w kit? :thinking:

You guy's have a diabolical influence on my wallet! oh well lucky I can claim back the cost of equipment upgrades @ tax time :nana:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only concern I see is reflector & Ballast heat build up in that small housing. But I cbb with external heatsinking etc.

I might be restricted to a 20-30 min runtime.

LOL It completely out perms the cars low beams:crackup: Probably even with High beams too.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Your pics look very focused and you don't seem to have the shadow from the wire that runs up the side of the HID globe... Did you just get a normal kit or does it have special globes? [edit - I just looked at your thread and your globes look exactly the same as ours. I guess your reflector is making the difference]
The focus is very tight and yes the globe hight was identical to the original globe, although the globe looks different to every other H4 I've ever seen.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes... the filament is horizontal (like an Ostar) if the reflector was specifically designed for this type of bulb then that may explain the better than average filament-to-reflector ratio in this particular case :thinking:

t3h

Newly Enlightened
t3h how long before your ballast gets too hot & shuts off?

I just multimetered up the battery, and it seems that it may not be the ballast overheating but the battery becoming too flat. It was flatter than I thought it should be.

It started turning off after something like 5 minutes, and it couldn't possibly have been overheating, so I decided to check the battery.

Last edited:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea thats way too soon for overheating ballast.

I'm curious with automotive ballasts, do they shut off when too hot? I've never let one get hot enough to know.

I can't see them shutting off, as there designed for car lights & it wouldn't go over a certain temp + it wouldn't be safe to have your headlights turn off while driving.

t3h

Newly Enlightened
Charged up the battery and it seems to be behaving fine now.

Rob_1975au

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone seen these at Jaycar?

They are advertised as $165 on the web, but at $149 in a 4wd mag, so I don't know what they'd go for.

Unfortunately they are at 6000k, which from what Ive read on here, is not as good as 4200k or so.

productLarge_12474.jpg

Rechargeable 35W HID Spotlight

If you need serious light power, HID is the only way to go. Compared with quartz-halogen, HID has far longer bulb life, uses less energy and is much brighter. With a pounding 3300 lumens, this spotlight is ideally suited to search and rescue, boating, professional shooters, security or other high-power applications. It's housed in a tough weather-resistant ABS housing and has a handy shoulder strap for extended use. The built-in rechargeable battery gives about 50 minutes of continuous use and it recharges either from the mains plugpack or a car cigarette lighter socket.

Specifications:
• Type: HID Xenon lamp
• Voltage: 12V
• Power: 35W
• Output: 3300 lumens
• Colour temp: 6000K
• Battery:12V 7Ah rechargeable lead acid battery
• Charge time: 15-18 hours
• Run time: 50 mins+ at full charge
• Mains adaptor: 15VDC 500mA
• Dimensions: 300(L) x 210(Dia)mm
• Weight: 3.8kg

Norm

Retired Administrator
Has anyone seen these at Jaycar?
Link here for this light from Electus (wholesale division of Jaycar)
http://www.electusdistribution.com.au/productView.asp?URL=index&ID=11055&CATID=21&SUBCATID=216
Jaycar Link http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=
Group buy ? $132 each in lots of 10 would make it the cheapest ready built HID in Australia, not keen on the 6000K bulb though.
Might even be able to get a better price from Electus direct their prices are generally cheaper than Jaycar, maybe someone should get onto them about a bulk purchase.
I may have a contact, but haven't spoken to him in a while.
Norm

Last edited:

jasonvk77

Newly Enlightened
I want a HID and i live near jay car.Pay $165 have one next payday.Or do a group buy and get it for $131.95.Hmmmmmmm:thinking:

Norm

Retired Administrator
I want a HID and i live near jay car.Pay $165 have one next payday.Or do a group buy and get it for $131.95.Hmmmmmmm:thinking:
Don't forget that postage would have to be added to the GB price.
I have found that in the past Jaycar Frankston would haggle a bit, if I were you I'd just go and buy it :devil:
Norm

jasonvk77

Newly Enlightened
I go to the Springvale one near that massive intersection.Would they pricematch.Any one got a link for that $149 add in the 4wd magazine.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I'm sure if you just mention the 4WD thing they would do that price, love to know what size bulb is in there.
Norm
PS coming to the Melbourne getogether?

Last edited:

jasonvk77

Newly Enlightened
I might hold of for a bit i just bought a Dereelight DBS V2($165) and a Jetbeam pro ultra III + batteries($140).And a sony t700 camera($375 with discount).All in the last week.

I'm only an apprentice jeez.I better slow down or il be starting my ebay store.

Norm

Retired Administrator
You have been going hard at it. Really liking the JB stuff. Anyway I'm off to bed.
Cheers Norm

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rob_1975au... those HID spotlights don't look too bad I like the design of the adjustable fold away stand, certainly MORE attractive than the 'chunky' Vector POB :p

I wonder how long these will be stocked for... Jaycar didn't seem to stock those 10w HID torches for too long but then again they were well overpriced IMHO @ around $500.00 AUD ;)

EDIT: just noted the weight is 3.8Kg nearly a whole kilo heavier than my Thor Scout HID, series 6V SLAs must certainly save a few pounds eh? :D

Last edited:

t3h

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, that's why I put a long cable to my 7AH SLA in my backpack. Much nicer to carry.

As for how much this one costs, that's about what mine cost in pieces. Oh well.