Auto Emergency Kit

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Ringzero: a question about "Gaiters:" I remember on scout camps some guys and girls used to put a garbo bag over the bottom of the sleeping bag to keep dry.

In the morning their bags were absolutely drenched, I guess from heat and transpiration because the plastic doesn't breath. After that when anyone had that idea I gave them a lecture in water transpiration, made them wear the bag for a while and watch em sweat :).

I think a parallel can be drawn from this technique and the survival technique of water transpiration: wrapping a bag around a branch to collect water inside the bag. Also sealing it with the rubber band to my mind would only increase the efficiency of the process and maybe lead to circulation problems.

My concern would be that using 'gaiters' would still cause dampness in your feet etc, and that in a cold climate make you sweat which would eventually decrease your body temperature.

Am I off the mark?

lightemup

Flashaholic*
When I lockup my car sometimes I have more apprehension of people stealing the contents of my Auto kit than the car itself :(

It happened to me last year. I had a similar load out to bitslammer, with a remote area (i.e. EXPENSIVE and comprehensive one I built myself and had a bag made) first aid kit, and one of those self contained starter kits. Car was stolen, trashed, And none of the contents were covered by insurance.

I've only got a really basic kit in the back of the car now, mainly because I couldn't afford to drop that kind of money that I thought i'd well invested as a 'once off' expense. Eventually I'll replace everything, but it'll be over a long while

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
tb2776 said:
In severe winter weather, a down or polarguard sleeping bag is a lifesaver. When I went on a business retreat, one of the exercises was ot think about the best thing to do if you were stuck overnight in a blizzard. The answer, according to the experts, was to bring a knife. Why? To slice open the seat cushions. Use the seat cushion stuffing and pack it between your coat and your skin. The object is to keep warm and adding any insulation was essential to survival. Don't know if that's accurate but it seems to go with this thread.

I heard newspaper or other material stuffed towards your body has the same effect....dont know the topic of survial very well, my guess is...dont count on it...bring a hand warmer, w/ extra fuel bars, and maybe a few of the instant heat packs

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightemup said:
Ringzero: a question about "Gaiters:" I remember on scout camps some guys and girls used to put a garbo bag over the bottom of the sleeping bag to keep dry...
My concern would be that using 'gaiters' would still cause dampness in your feet etc, and that in a cold climate make you sweat which would eventually decrease your body temperature.

You are correct, however, having damp, clammy socks after several hours of walking is better than having soaked socks right off the bat.

The best way to go is to use two sets of garbage bags, with one set of bags functioning as VBL socks, worn on your bare feet. Put on your regular socks over the VBL socks, then put on a second set of garbage bags over your regular socks, then put on your shoes or boots. Your socks will stay completely dry, because the VBL socks block your own sweat from reaching them, and the snow or rain is blocked by the outer set of plastic bags.

Depending on metabolism and relative humidity, a sleeping person's skin will release up to a quart or more of water vapor during the night. If not blocked by VBL, some of this is absorbed into the sleeping bag, some freezes out on the tent, etc.

VBL gear worn inside a sleeping bag will lower the effective temperature range of the bag by 10 to 20 degrees F by blocking evaporative cooling and by keeping the bag's insulation dry.

If the sleeping bag is not inside a tent, but out in the open, wrapping it tightly with a tarp or garbage bags will lower its effective range a whole lot, many degrees F depending on wind velocity, by blocking convective heat transfer. If you do this without using VBL gear inside the bag, in the morning the whole bag will be damp, and the outside will likely be frozen.

MG_Saldivar

Newly Enlightened
I would add a tarp in a bright color. I bought a very sturdy light blue tarp that measures about 12' square (Wal-Mart and Home Depot sell them in varying thicknesses, mine is next-to-thickest and cost less than $10).

You can use it for shelter, as an extra poncho, or put it on the roof of your vehicle to make a clear 'signature' for anybody trying to find you by air, among many other uses...

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightemup said:
When I lockup my car sometimes I have more apprehension of people stealing the contents of my Auto kit than the car itself :(...I've only got a really basic kit in the back of the car now, mainly because I couldn't afford to drop that kind of money that I thought i'd well invested as a 'once off' expense. Eventually I'll replace everything, but it'll be over a long while

After having valuable gear stolen out of my car several times, I've come to the same conclusion. Nowdays I keep nothing in a car that it would bother me to lose.

Plenty of garbage bags, plastic tarp and pegs, inexpensive flashlights, cheap old sleeping bag, cheap tools, old work boots, old sweater, etc. Beyond very basic stuff like this, your most important piece of survival gear is between your ears.

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
bigfoot

Your reference to the <equipped.org> site is an awesome contribution.

This site has more information that seems empiricaly sound than any other I have come across. I have backpacked, horsepacked, sailed and flown planes in wild places for more than 45 years, and this is an EXCELLENT source of information.

Thanks, John

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub_Umbra said:
For bug country: Sprinkle 100% DEET on washed, clean, dry, cotton coveralls. Fold and place into zip-lock freezer bag, trying to press out as much air as possible before sealing. Throw bag in emergency kit...In some regions you may want to stick a pair of socks, gloves and a cap into the DEET bag, too.

Thanks for a great tip, Sub_Umbra. Why haven't I heard of this before? Tips like this are what makes it worthwhile to read all the way through these threads.

I try to avoid outdoor activities in really buggy areas, but sometimes the little pests can't be avoided. I'll keep this in mind for my next venture into bug country.

firefly99

Enlightened
bitslammer said:
With winter setting in I stocked up the vehicles with my standard "survival kit." Here in SW Ohio it's a 5-7 year chance of really getting "stuck" out on the higways in a snowstorm. Even so that may be for only a few hours due to iced bridges or a jackknifed mess of semis. We're also nowhere near the "Wilderness" in that there's always a small town or place to walk for help.

Nevertheless I always carry some things such as lights, jumper cables, etc.

Here's my loadout, what's in your trunk/boot, under the seat etc?
  • Small first aid kit
  • My lights - Inova 24/7, Inova 2C radiant + whatever I'm EDC'ing or carrying at the time.
  • Spare Batteries for all lights
  • Jumper cables
  • Assorted bungie cords, tiedowns etc.
  • 4100lb tow rope
  • Magnesium Bar for Fire starting + waterproof matches
  • 3-4 candles
  • Small toolkit - hammer, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers etc.
  • 1 MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) or similar food item
  • Fire Extinguisher
Add for winter/cold season
  • Waterroof Blanket
  • Extra Fleece Pullover
  • Hat, Gloves, extra socks
Having a knife would complete the picture.
Get the Invoa 24/7 headstap, so that it can function as a headlamp.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
A can imagine foil blankets could be very beneficial in sun-beaten areas, cover the outside of the windshield or a couple windows with one and it might keep the car from turning into an oven. Then again, for all I know it could make things even worse. Getting a big enough tarp, you could cover the top of your vehicle and the tarp sides draping down over the windows could achieve this without the risk of the potato foil effect.

I've found the Energizer 4AA Folding LED Lantern to be extremely handy for lighting a dark car at night without killing the battery. I just propped it up on the dash at an angle, but I imagine a strip of duct tape could secure it to the ceiling temporarily without hurting the interior. 100-200 hours on one set of common batteries, not very durable but ideal for interior lighting. Also nice if you're at a party or at a friend's place and the power goes out, get the Energizer out of your car and save your EDC's batteries. It's seven bucks at Target, hardly no need to get another car alarm to protect your investment.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
First aid kit
3D M*glite (the door pocket in a Prius appears to have been made to hold one of these)
Victorinox Fireman Swiss Army Knife (includes saw, seatbelt cutter, and the usual SAK stuff) (will get Vic "Rescue Tool" when it becomes available here)
Multitool (pliers, etc.)
Jumper cables
water
some non-perishable food
Mobile ham rig installed
Ham Radio band handi-talkie (loaded with primary lithium batteries) (also works on FRS/GMRS bands)
Some canvas shopping bags (if I remember to bring them back out to the car).

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
A word or two of caution about DEET bug juices --

There is a possibility that DEET might be a cancer agent, so I only use it on clothing, and try my best to minimize any exposure to skin. YMMV.

DEET bug juice or sprays will wreck plastic stuff and even some watch crystals, so be careful what of what it gets applied on or comes into contact.

Gotta say that even considering that I have yet to find anything that works anywhere near as well.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
A siphon and a plastic gas can can be very handy. A few asphalt shingles or a bag of sand, etc., for traction if you get stuck.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightmeup said:
A siphon and a plastic gas can can be very handy. A few asphalt shingles or a bag of sand, etc., for traction if you get stuck.
This might sound weird but if you carry a gas can you should also think about keeping a pristine looking, brown paper grocery bag with you so you always have the option to disguise the red can whenever and wherever you take it away from your vehicle. In too many neighorhoods that bright red can just screams: outsider, in trouble, easy mark, etc. Someone carrying a big bag of groceries is still a target in those places but it looks a little more local and doesn't scream quite so loudly.

Repo

Newly Enlightened
I actually spent about $200 two weeks ago on this very thing. I have a habit of "over-engineering" however.

There are some things that you obviously carry on yourself like cellphone, flashlight, perhaps CCW.

This is the stuff I bought, the ones marked in bold I would consider the most essential:

• Safety Triangle
  • Survival Space Blankets (2)
  • Large Thick Fleece type blanket
  • MagLED 3D + Spare batts.
  • Brinkmann Maxfire LX
  • First-aid kit

• Cheap rain ponchos (2, red)
  • Road flares (3)
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • 12v air compressor
  • Jumper cables (4 gauge 20')

• Disposable camera
  • Knife
  • Puncture repair kit
  • Duct tape
  • Local Maps
  • Bottled water
  • Power bars
  • Ice scraper
  • Shop towell
  • Baby wipes
Other possibilities:
  • Battery Boost pack (some have built-in compressor)
  • Fix a flat type canned puncture repair
  • Cellphone charger (probably most useful thing listed)
  • Folding shovel
  • Misc. tools
  • Weather radio
  • Scraps of carpet for traction
  • Work gloves
  • Some old walking boots
  • Pistol (local law permitting)
This is what I currently have in my vehicle:
  • Brinkmann Maxfire LX
  • 5 gallon gas can (empty)
  • Jumper Cables
  • Ice scraper
I need to find a bag or something for the stuff I got it's sitting in the closet right now :laughing:

Edit: forgot about a tow strap!

Repo

Newly Enlightened
One more thing... with big objects like a fire extinguisher or maglites, make sure they are well secured because in the event of an accident they could become projectiles if not secured down. Also be careful of pressurized containers left in the car in summer.

Supernam

Enlightened
Wow, reading through the posts make me realize how many CPF's live in cold and rural areas. Here is my list as a Southern California driver:

Flashlights
First Aid Kit
Flares
Water
going to add fire extinguisher
JUMPER CABLES
Tool Kit -Socket set, open closed end wrench set (metric and standard), Screwdriver set, Wrench set.
Bungees

Honestly, I keep all of the things that I have in my car anticipating the event that friends/family/strangers need roadside assistance. My 2006 Toyota isn't going to break down any time soon, and being in a more suburban/urban area, it's not likely that I'll be stranded and freeze to death.

The thing that will save more lives than a bunch of physical objects is your brain, KNOW WHAT TO DO IN VARIOUS SITUATIONS. Do you know CPR? Basic/advanced first aid? Take a class- I'm an American Red Cross instructor.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
My list

jumper cables
lots of tools
tow rope
several lights with extra batteries
1st aid kit
fire extinguisher
tire air pump
Ham Radio
Maps