Automatic knives, valid for use?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer slide trigger on face of handle vs the edges. Not having to rotate to proper grip after blade deployment, maintaining proper grip with thumb on trigger.

Many folks like Benchmade "Infidel" ..Microtech Dirac Delta is another great choice. Cost about the same, BM a lil less expensive.
Microtech, I'd go for a basic stone wash finish blade 127-10 S/E, thou DLC finish can be had for extra bucks.

MT are USA built and tough as heck, true fact (-:

Edit: Correction due to CRS

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, correction Benchmade.. I was just viewing Gerber emails. Can't get over all the purdy color blades and handles, they come in every flavor.

So, OTF aren't even legal for the cops to carry?

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Yep, correction Benchmade.. I was just viewing Gerber emails. Can't get over all the purdy color blades and handles, they come in every flavor.

So, OTF aren't even legal for the cops to carry?
Laws vary from state to state. However in my home state cops can carry what ever they want as long as it falls within department policy. Like NYC restricts what guns their cops can carry as their personally owned firearms and they have qualifier restrictions.

What is really weird in my home state is that you cannot conceal any deadly weapons including butterfly knives, switch blades or even something like a Kershaw Speed Safe type knife (ironically considered a spring loaded bladed knife). However, if the knifes pocket clip along with part of the knife is exposed, it would be hard pressed to claim that the knife was concealed. Just my thoughts.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Laws vary from state to state. However in my home state cops can carry what ever they want as long as it falls within department policy. Like NYC restricts what guns their cops can carry as their personally owned firearms and they have qualifier restrictions.

What is really weird in my home state is that you cannot conceal any deadly weapons including butterfly knives, switch blades or even something like a Kershaw Speed Safe type knife (ironically considered a spring loaded bladed knife). However, if the knifes pocket clip along with part of the knife is exposed, it would be hard pressed to claim that the knife was concealed. Just my thoughts.
So you can't carry cased swords? You would have to open carry samurai swords down the street?

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
My home state recently legalized autos. I've owned a few over the years, and cjrrently have a couple each otf and side opening autos. I love my Microtechs, but there's no quiet way to open or close them. My Protech side openers, on the other hand, can be opened and closed as quietly as any manual knife if needed. In a restaurant, for example. Sometimes everybody doesn't need to know what you have with you. Not everybody cares about this aspect, but remember: just because you have the right doesn't make it right. Sometimes not advertising is the better plan. I make the same argument against open carry, which is legal here, too.
Same state as you. PA

It's quite funny I used to have all types of autos including Protech, Microtech, and benchmade years ago when they were illegal, I since sold them and and as time went by autos became legal and now I have no interest in them haha, wouldn't mind having a Protech again. The OTF models require lots of maintenance, sometimes my buddies microtechs UTXs do not pop out the whole way because of pocket lint and other debris build up

Alpha33

Newly Enlightened
I used to carry one in my front pocket till I unknowingly hit the switch. Didn't even know I was cut (it was that sharp and that fast), till I felt a warm stream of blood flowing down my leg. That knife is gone now and my Buck 110 is the only knife I carry now.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to carry one in my front pocket till I unknowingly hit the switch. Didn't even know I was cut (it was that sharp and that fast), till I felt a warm stream of blood flowing down my leg. That knife is gone now and my Buck 110 is the only knife I carry now.
I had a similar experience with a Buck knife. I think it is called the Rush. Anyway, it is an assisted opening knife. I was carrying it in my pocket with the point up. It opened, and when I put my hand in my pocket I cut myself. I need to send it in to Buck...I think the lock on it is not working right. The "to open" lock, not the lock-in-open-position lock. Bad design, in my opinion.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a similar experience with a Buck knife. I think it is called the Rush. Anyway, it is an assisted opening knife. I was carrying it in my pocket with the point up. It opened, and when I put my hand in my pocket I cut myself. I need to send it in to Buck...I think the lock on it is not working right. The "to open" lock, not the lock-in-open-position lock. Bad design, in my opinion.
I've carried a DA auto daily clipped in my front pocket for a couple years w/o issues. Has a pretty stiff side switch...

TPA

Enlightened
In school, all of the boys had either a Buck knife or a Swiss Army multitool. It was very common for teachers to ask the students to borrow one. Then again, my high school had (and still has) its own gun range. Nice way to blow off steam during lunch.

Around 2000 I was introduced to the Gerber MP600 needlenose and that's been my daily carry ever since. I did have a time in a dark, quiet alley, where I felt that someone with ill intent was following me, and I did pull it out and flick the pilers out. It's a very distinctive sound, which I'm assuming sounds similar to a switchblade. The person following me quickly went in the other direction.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
In school, all of the boys had either a Buck knife or a Swiss Army multitool. It was very common for teachers to ask the students to borrow one. Then again, my high school had (and still has) its own gun range. Nice way to blow off steam during lunch.

Around 2000 I was introduced to the Gerber MP600 needlenose and that's been my daily carry ever since. I did have a time in a dark, quiet alley, where I felt that someone with ill intent was following me, and I did pull it out and flick the pilers out. It's a very distinctive sound, which I'm assuming sounds similar to a switchblade. The person following me quickly went in the other direction.
I have heard of schools with ranges, but didn't know of any. Where is your old high school? If the school board there is that reasonable, I imagine the community is my kind of people!

TPA

Enlightened
I have heard of schools with ranges, but didn't know of any. Where is your old high school? If the school board there is that reasonable, I imagine the community is my kind of people!
brave_aUAtjhP88o.png

Gun range on the left, gym in the middle, cafeteria partially shown on the right. Hole in the roof is where the original 1960s chillers for the building sat.

I'm in Florida. I don't know that I'd ever call any school board reasonable, but the range is alive and well. IIRC they said students actually built the range back in the day, before my time. Then again, the local Sheriff is rather vocal as well. The local Sheriff's department has a beautiful gun range and it's open to the public. They actually WANT the public to learn how to properly handle firearms and are willing to train the public.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
View attachment 53424
Gun range on the left, gym in the middle, cafeteria partially shown on the right. Hole in the roof is where the original 1960s chillers for the building sat.

I'm in Florida. I don't know that I'd ever call any school board reasonable, but the range is alive and well. IIRC they said students actually built the range back in the day, before my time. Then again, the local Sheriff is rather vocal as well. The local Sheriff's department has a beautiful gun range and it's open to the public. They actually WANT the public to learn how to properly handle firearms and are willing to train the public.
Please PM me the town.

vincent3685

Newly Enlightened
I also have a Rush. Love how slick opening it is. Very smooth. Small blade, skeletonized grips but perfect for EDC. The lock on mine serves two purposes; When activated when closed, it prevents opening. When activated when open, it prevents closing. No problems so far with mine.