Awesome HDS Mod by Milky...

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys should go with the MP700 unprotected cell as the protected cell might work against the HDS protection circuit and leave you in the dark.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you guys twisted my arm enough... I'm sending my B42GT to him next week.

Now I need to practice the 250 click thing so I can lower my three lowest levels down to about stock as they are the perfect brightness for me. I just would like the longer runtime and the BRIGHT high!

So... have most of you guys reprogrammed your HDSs after the mod or are you happier with all the levels getting brighter?

Edwood

Enlightened
I've had no problems with using protected cells, it would step down far before the protection circuit kicked in.

But, yeah, protected cells are entirely unnecessary for the HDS EDC's.

-Ed

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edwood said:
I've had no problems with using protected cells, it would step down far before the protection circuit kicked in.

But, yeah, protected cells are entirely unnecessary for the HDS EDC's.

-Ed

Well, I do have an MP rechargeable and it's a fine cell. I often test HDS mods using this cell, rather than go through a bunch of primaries for test purposes.

The one thing that would give me slight pause using an MP or any unprotected 123 Li-ion in the HDS is the potential for shorts... intuitively I just like the redundant safety of a protected cell's own current limiting circuit.

How's that for clear as mud! :ohgeez:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
milkyspit said:
Well, I do have an MP rechargeable and it's a fine cell. I often test HDS mods using this cell, rather than go through a bunch of primaries for test purposes.

The one thing that would give me slight pause using an MP or any unprotected 123 Li-ion in the HDS is the potential for shorts... intuitively I just like the redundant safety of a protected cell's own current limiting circuit.

How's that for clear as mud! :ohgeez:

Shorts? C'mon give the HDS more credit than that.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think one scenario that could happen, is that static electricity causes the light to soft-reset, thinking that a partially depleted unprotected RCR123 is a primary, and then may run it down past safe levels, such that the protected RCR123 would have been a better choice. Not a short scenario (which I also doubt would ever happen) but a potential scenario nonetheless. Sorry to take this slightly OT =) but wanted to just put that out there as a safety thing.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
tebore said:
Shorts? C'mon give the HDS more credit than that.

I don't doubt HDS one bit... it's more along the principle of 'sh*t happens'... and wiith the Li-ion chemistry, it happens real quick! :eek:oo:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I've read many comments about the 'possibility' of the protected LiIon confusing the HDS board, but I can't recally reading about any based on actual experience. Honestly, I'm not 100% clear on what could happen with a protected sell that would just stop the light from working.

thinking.gif

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
milkyspit said:
I don't doubt HDS one bit... it's more along the principle of 'sh*t happens'... and wiith the Li-ion chemistry, it happens real quick! :eek:oo:

I don't know about MP cells, but Sanyo and (and I think) LG have internal safeties that shut the cell down if it shorts and the current gets too high.

Still **** happens;)

Led_Blind

Enlightened
I have MP cells that are about 4 yrs old still running my HDS. The light runs about 40 mins on high and out of 3 one cell has 1/2 the runtime.

A note on the low levels. I got back my 2nd HDS recently and was able to directly compare all the levels. They are consistantly 2x the origonal as expected.

Remeber all that the HDS lights are POWER regulates, not V or I but V x I. You should never see levels dissapear etc and should only see them get closer together or futthur appart depending on LED.

:) thats all

edit: yes my speeling is attrocious... today i dont care... quit smoking 1\2 a pack a day... pissed off.... GRRRRRR....

Last edited:

vee

Newly Enlightened
just got my modded B60 back from milky. I love it alot. so much brighter!
457259634_dba315e78d.jpg

modded B60 on L vs. regular B60 on R

457259642_518b25a510_m.jpg
vs.
457259644_f343f90853_m.jpg

modded B60 on L vs. regular B60 on R

Thanks again Milky!

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
PEU said:
Quick Question Scott, how can I remove the reflector on an old style B42?

Thanks!

Pablo

You don't remove it. It's part of the body. I guess if you're highly skilled with a dremel you could. I'm talking about the integrated reflectors here.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
PEU said:

Thanks!

Pablo

Pablo, Tebore's right... the old-style reflectors are literally part of the body... as in: the same piece of aluminum. You can remove the light module but not the reflector.
:sigh:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
PEU said:

Thanks!

Pablo

Hi Pablo

You don't remove the reflector in the earliest HDS'. To get a nice beam with a Seoul you dremel off a bit from the back of the reflector after removing the light engine.

This doesn't remove anything of the reflective surface, but brings the emitter slightly higher up so it focuses perfectly.

Having seen some of the lights you make I think this should pose no problem for you;)

Sverre