Barracuda. Search lights.

oeL

Newly Enlightened
Yes, you can use one cell in Barracuda with short body.

I was thinking 'bout a Predator Pro HI, but a Barracuda Pro HI with short body would be a good idea as well. Much further throw, but still quite handy :)

Would there be a way to get it only with the short tube? I won't ever use the long one (the runtime with one cell is enough, and I prefer unprotected cells).
When will you offer the HI lights in warm?

Thanks

ArmyTek

Enlightened
I was thinking 'bout a Predator Pro HI, but a Barracuda Pro HI with short body would be a good idea as well. Much further throw, but still quite handy :)

Would there be a way to get it only with the short tube? I won't ever use the long one (the runtime with one cell is enough, and I prefer unprotected cells).

Thanks
No, you can`t purchase Barracuda only with a short body, because it is a search flashlight and a long body is the main one.

Warm XP-L have a huge brightness loss, and we can`t use such diodes at the moment. But we plan to offer the HI flashlights in Warm in future.

You are welcome.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened

Thanks

It must already be available. I bought a Doberman Pro V3 with the XP-L HI that gives a warm tint. Around 20% warmer than my Barracuda and Predator with XP-L HI. The problem is you don't know which one you will receive.

I expected a similar tint as the others two but I was not lucky this time.

Last edited:

oeL

Newly Enlightened
Warm XP-L have a huge brightness loss, and we can`t use such diodes at the moment. But we plan to offer the HI flashlights in Warm in future.

According to the specs http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED-Components-and-Modules/XLamp/Data-and-Binning/ds-XPL.pdf it's only several % less when you use the neutral white instead of the cool white. It would worth it: Colors are much better visible, and you have less reflection on water surfaces, for example on the microscopic water drops that are in the air when it's a bit foggy. Because of the longer distance this is especially important for search lights. Verified this with two PP 2.5 - with the warm tint I can effectively see more.
How many % less lumens showed your LED samples?

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
According to the specs http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED-Components-and-Modules/XLamp/Data-and-Binning/ds-XPL.pdf it's only several % less when you use the neutral white instead of the cool white. It would worth it: Colors are much better visible, and you have less reflection on water surfaces, for example on the microscopic water drops that are in the air when it's a bit foggy. Because of the longer distance this is especially important for search lights. Verified this with two PP 2.5 - with the warm tint I can effectively see more.

I think this question is for armitek but if it's for me, I could answer you after doing a home test lux between the Predator Pro v3 HI(cw) and the Dobermann Pro v3 HI (nw).

ArmyTek

Enlightened

We don`t make measurements on each flashlight. All [FONT=arial, sans-serif]in-between testings is inside company`s information. [/FONT]

oeL

Newly Enlightened
... All in-between testings is inside company`s information.

Hm, OK... :)

At the moment I'm using two Predator Pro warm, the 2.5 model I guess, with XP-G2 and the 2.1 A driver, and I'm very very happy with them, they are solid and very useful. As soon as you have XP-L HI models in warm available, I would like to rotate both, probably one Barracuda and one PP. Your XP-L HI in cool white have nominal 1200 lumens OTF. With a neutral white XP-L HI (4.000 - 4.500 K) at least 1.000 lumens OTF should be possible, maybe a bit more. An even lower color temperature is not necessary in my eyes.

Barracuda/Predator HI in cool white - as available now - are no options for me, sorry. They have a nice "wow-effect", but the real live vision is another thing...

oeL

Newly Enlightened
I think this question is for armitek but if it's for me, I could answer you after doing a home test lux between the Predator Pro v3 HI(cw) and the Dobermann Pro v3 HI (nw).

Since the Doberman has a smaller reflector (right?) it should have a bigger spot and so also less lux, even with the same emitter. To compare lumens, hm, at least some kind of a self built sphere would be necessary. But anyway, your measurements would be interesting. Yes please :)

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Since the Doberman has a smaller reflector (right?) it should have a bigger spot and so also less lux, even with the same emitter. To compare lumens, hm, at least some kind of a self built sphere would be necessary. But anyway, your measurements would be interesting. Yes please :)

The Dobermann has a smaller spot than the Predator. In my test, I just place my lights at 2m of my luxmeter to compare lux between these two. I will try to do it tonight.

Dobermann on the left, Predator on the right.

http://s19.postimg.org/5ubw9l0ar/image.jpg

At the eye, the DP produce less lux than the PP. Don't forget, my DP is neutral instead of cool white.

DP: 1100 OTF lumens. 50600cd
PP: 1100 OTF lumens. 72800cd
Armitek rating.....How can they reach these measures? I don't know.

Last edited:

Aldiggi

Newly Enlightened
Looking forward to the new Barracuda. Any idea when it will be available for preorder?

Aldiggi

Newly Enlightened
The Dobermann has a smaller spot than the Predator. In my test, I just place my lights at 2m of my luxmeter to compare lux between these two. I will try to do it tonight.

Dobermann on the left, Predator on the right.

http://s19.postimg.org/5ubw9l0ar/image.jpg

At the eye, the DP produce less lux than the PP. Don't forget, my DP is neutral instead of cool white.

DP: 1100 OTF lumens. 50600cd
PP: 1100 OTF lumens. 72800cd
Armitek rating.....How can they reach these measures? I don't know.

Now show us that Barracuda gyzmo2002 [emoji4]

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
The one with the same XP-L HI NW led that gyzmo2002 got in his DP :)

They can do that. I have one in my Dobermann. It just remains to make it the sorts and sell neutral and cool white version instead of selling them as cool white only. It will attract buyers who do not like the cool white instead of displeasing those who want the cool white as advertised but receive the neutral like me.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened

Lux readings for the Predator Pro LE v3 XP-L HI (cw) and Dobermann Pro LE v3 XP-L HI (mine is nw) with LG MJ1 3500mah(10A) at 2m from the luxmeter.

Predator:14750lux 59000CD
Dobermann:12170lux. 48680CD

An extra:Nitecore P12GT: 6260lux/25040CD
Barracuda Pro LE V2 XP-L HI: 41300lux. 165200CD

I would have liked to compare my Dobermann (NW) with a cool white but my dealer has only the NW. If Armitek send me a cool white one, I will do it with pleasure.

Last edited: