Battery cases

david57strat

Enlightened
Re: Battery cases (Pic Heavy)

hi,i've been looking for AA, AAA, CR, & 18650 carrier.Until now, I only found cheap plastic cases. Even if the overall built is ok, they lack of reliability in the hinges.Any suggestion?
By now, I imagine you've already come across the case that suits your needs, but for anyone else looking for a highly dependable case to carry their 18650s and CR123s, I highly recommend a Pelican 1010 case. It's waterproof, crushproof, airtight, and has very solid hinges.

The 1010 will hold 10 18650 batteries, or you can combine those with CR123 batteries in tubes like you'd use on your CR123/18650 lights anyway, and they're very secure.If you're looking to carry just CR123 batteries, they make an insert that will house twelve of them very firmly (see pictures). I bought mine at Battery Junction on-line.

For carrying combinations of AA, AAA, and CR123 batteries, I've been using Maxpedition Volta battery cases; but I haven't had them very long, and I, too, question how long I can expect the hinges to last, before they wear out and eventually break. So far, no problems, though.I'd stick with Pelican, for super sturdy cases for just about anything. They've been around a long time and have a solid reputation. Notice, in the pictures, the AAAs can kind of rattle around; so, I ended up using a small piece of foam between the cover and the batteries, to prevent that (I don't like my pockets rattling lol).

True story: As all of you who have traveled with lithium batteries know, TSA do not allow them to be checked with your baggage. They have to be carry-on items, and they have to be properly sealed to insure against shorts. When I made my first airplane trip with lights that ran on lithium batteries last year, my stuff got temporarily held up at the security checkpoint, because TSA screeners confused my box of 12 Surefire CR123 batteries for bullets! Now - I don't own a firearm, and I have no clue what boxed bullets are supposed to look like, but I didn't want that happening to me ever again. Since then, I decided to carry them in my (at the time) newly-acquired 1010 case, and I've never had a problem since.

101_2594800800.jpg

101_2607800800.jpg
]
101_2609800800.jpg

The Maxpedition Volta case...
101_2612a800800.jpg

101_2616800.jpg

101_2614800.jpg

101_2615800.jpg

Last edited:

ouchyfoot

Newly Enlightened
Re: Battery cases (Pic Heavy)

I've been using Maxpedition Volta battery cases; but I haven't had them very long, and I, too, question how long I can expect the hinges to last, before they wear out and eventually break. So far, no problems,

The Volta cases are great. 14500 are just a smidgen too long though.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
These 'Battery Storage Tubes' from lighthound.com work great for 2x18650, or 4xCR123a...
In the bottle biz they are called preforms. I bought 15 from CountyComm a couple years ago and I love them. I'm constantly finding different uses for them.

They are made in many, MANY sizes. At least hundreds. Think of all the things we buy in different sized plastic bottles -- and they all started out as preforms. I have been looking for a consumer oriented vendor who has a few sizes besides 2 liter. If anyone knows of a preform store online please post the url. If I had the access I would buy MANY sizes of preforms.

The industry sources have a cool size for every cell you could want but they'll only sellin lots above 2,000-6,000 pieces. YIKES!

Last edited:

rshadd

Newly Enlightened
See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to give an update to my experiences with 'large size' Bison tubes, used for geocaching. The first time I ordered some, a couple of years ago, they fit an AAA cell great; all I did was shove a small amount of foam in the bottom of the tube, and the top of the cap, to prevent rattle. About a year or two later, I ordered some from an online dealer, and they had changed. There was a plastic insert 'sleeve' in the body, which was too narrow to drop in a single AAA cell, so I pulled it out with needle-nose pliers, cut it off close to the base, shoved it back down in with something narrow, put in a small amount of some foam in the top 'cap', and it then worked fine for putting in 1xAAA. I just ordered several more recently. This new batch was stamped 'China' at the base of the tube. No plastic sleeve insert, and an AAA cell dropped into the tube fine, but the cap, which extended and fit down inside the body tube, has an internal dimension smaller than the outside dimension of an AAA cell. I managed to get one to work, sort of, by hand filing and dremeling for awhile, but later attempts to 'drill out' the cap ended badly, and I would strongly urge anyone considering this container as a spare AAA keychain holder to please consider other more viable options.

Last edited:

valravn

Newly Enlightened
I use an HPRC 1300, which fits 6 cells, with some rattle. 4 paper tissues or microfiber cleaning fabric solves that for me. next to no sideways rattle. might not fit protected cells.
http://www.plaber.com/1300.htm

Only thing... i mostly swap 3 batteries at once, and then cant remember which ones are still full...
i should mabye do full=positive toward the hinge or something..

full case:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/g6t0xgaaxsretjh/P1010861.JPG

Last edited:

burntoshine

Enlightened
Does anyone know if the CountyComm AA battery locker will fit a AW 14500?

I got the 123 battery locker from them and it is great (nearly perfect); all I had to do was cut a small circle of thin white packing foam and simply place it at the bottom to stop the small amount of rattle that it had. The packing foam is pretty thin (only a mm or maybe a few thick) and comes in sheets. The diameter of the tube is ideal, but there was just a tiny amount of space from top to bottom.

CountyComm has AAA lockers, too. And they have those cable keychains in two sizes (which are good for connecting battery lockers). ..And those matchstick cases in an olive color that hold a 18650 or two 123s.

I just placed another order with them and got another 123 locker, but also ordered the AA locker to hold a spare AW 14500 for my SC52w. I just hope it is long enough to hold it and still close completely to be waterproof. If no one knows, I'll report back in a few days when I get my order.

I also have the Titaner titanium battery and pill case that holds a 123. Pricey, but very nicey!

EDIT/UPDATE:

The AA battery locker fits a AW 14500 perfectly; as in, it barely fits. It doesn't slide right out when you tip the locker over, but it comes out on the first shake, every time. And the 14500 isn't too tall for the locker, so I'm very happy with my purchase.

The matchstick cases have a mirror glued to the inside of the lid. I'll have to try to get it out. What is it there for?

Last edited:

Jaegerbomb

Newly Enlightened
Heya, bit late replying in on this one, but I recently bought aluminium pill tubes for my batteries... they fit all 18650's and a multitude of other items:
I don't have any image hosting site accounts sorry, so just linking an example from FleeceBay
http://tinyurl.com/eBayPills

Found them to be very very good... and I can attach them to whatever I need with the carabiner clips.

Another thing I have started using recently and is very very cheap are tubes from Effervescent tablets... a bit like these (I get mine though from Aldi at less than €1 a tub, some tablets and a free waterproof tube in one! :))
http://tinyurl.com/EffervescentTubes

You don't realise all the things around you that could be re-used for other purposes until it hits you sometimes! ;)

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heya, bit late replying in on this one, but I recently bought aluminium pill tubes for my batteries... they fit all 18650's and a multitude of other items:
I don't have any image hosting site accounts sorry, so just linking an example from FleeceBay
http://tinyurl.com/eBayPills

Found them to be very very good... and I can attach them to whatever I need with the carabiner clips.

I wouldn't use any metal container to store batteries in, even if the inside was coated to prevent shorts. I wouldn't trust it.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
CountyComm has AAA lockers, too. And they have those cable keychains in two sizes (which are good for connecting battery lockers). ..And those matchstick cases in an olive color that hold a 18650 or two 123s.
The matchstick cases have a mirror glued to the inside of the lid. I'll have to try to get it out. What is it there for?
I'll just note that I've used a CountyComm AAA locker for a few years and it's really great, I don't carry it on my keychain though. I'm very happy with it as it's as tough as nails seals good, and is light weight. They seem a bit expensive, but Delrin items usually are.

The mirror in the WP match-case would be there for emergency signaling.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello WalkIntoTheLight,

Most of my flashlights could be considered metal tubes and I store batteries in them without incident... and trust them to work when needed.

Tom

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello WalkIntoTheLight,

Most of my flashlights could be considered metal tubes and I store batteries in them without incident... and trust them to work when needed.

Tom

Yes, but those metal-tube flashlights are specifically designed to not conduct electricity when you have them turned off. I don't believe a metal aluminum tube (designed for other purposes) is meant to protect against shorts. But it's your choice to risk it. Probably the worst thing that will happen is you ruin the battery. (That's not the worst possibility, but it's more likely than a dangerous outcome.)

IMO, I really don't see what's wrong with a plastic container.

Jaegerbomb

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't use any metal container to store batteries in, even if the inside was coated to prevent shorts. I wouldn't trust it.

Nah, the tubes are a little longer than any batteries that go in them, I popped some insulation into the bottom and top (cut to size of cylinder and dropped it in, same in lid...), nice tight fit so they don't come back out... and then never an issue.
The sides of the batteries will not conduct (if they are then they are already damaged to a point where they are an issue... ) so happy days...
Haven't had any issues with them yet.. and realistically both positive and negative would need to be connected in order to have issues with discharging etc... but protected batteries have enough 'side-wall' on them that I am safe as is...

I do take your point on board though and I do agree that it could be a problem, but I believe I have safeguarded against it.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I use an aluminum pill container, no insulation needed, the container is 10MM longer than the battery, so unless the container shrinks 10MM there's no possibility of a shorted cell.

Norm

Jaegerbomb

Newly Enlightened
I use an aluminum pill container, no insulation needed, the container is 10MM longer than the battery, so unless the container shrinks 10MM there's no possibility of a shorted cell.

Norm

Completely agree with you to be honest, but no harm being extra extra safe ;)
The main reason for the foam I inserted (it is almost identical to a firm sponge foam) is to stop rattle and play with the extra room in the tube because it is that much bigger than the battery... the battery slightly indents into the sponge and it prevents rattle while also preventing any touch of terminals to metal... win-win in my opinion :)

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking if there is a nick in the plastic wrapper of the battery, then you could get the anode (or is it the cathode?) conducting through the side of the battery. If that's touching the aluminum case, it could cause a short.

I know I tend to nick some of my cells from time to time. Small scratches don't seem to conduct, but I've purposely done some larger scratches (okay rips may better describe it) and I have noticed that they can conduct.

If it's in a flashlight, you're getting the short interrupted by the switch. But in a metal tube, there's no such protection.

I'm not sure if all cells are designed that way. It may have been an alkaline battery I experimented on.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I was thinking if there is a nick in the plastic wrapper of the battery, then you could get the anode (or is it the cathode?) conducting through the side of the battery. If that's touching the aluminum case, it could cause a short.

Usual it will not be a problem, because the there will still be a wrapper thickness distance between the case and the battery metal.
It the wrapper is damaged at the top or it is a large piece that is missing, it is a problem.

Verndog

Enlightened

I know I tend to nick some of my cells from time to time. Small scratches don't seem to conduct, but I've purposely done some larger scratches (okay rips may better describe it) and I have noticed that they can conduct.

If it's in a flashlight, you're getting the short interrupted by the switch. But in a metal tube, there's no such protection.

I'm not sure if all cells are designed that way. It may have been an alkaline battery I experimented on.

This. If you are carrying in an airtight aluminum container then you effectively have a small bomb in your pocket with a short. That wrapper thickness is about .005 and you are assuming everything is perfectly round which they are not.