Battery dilemma

anthony lumens

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I recently organized all my batteries and some are brand new, some are charged fully and some I have used and just taken them out of my lights after use . Anyway I forgot to label them so I know which ones are fully charged and which ones need charging and/or topping up. There is 18650,tenergy ds, and rcr123s ! Would it hurt them if I charged them and the ones that were full wouldn't get damaged? Don't want to cause danger or ruin the batteries?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a good charger feel free to charge them all. They should be near (or under) 4.2v hot off the charger.

anthony lumens

Newly Enlightened
HotWire said:
If you have a good charger feel free to charge them all. They should be near (or under) 4.2v hot off the charger.

But it won't hurt them if I charge these li ion and they happen to not really need it? There are all protected Cells

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
But it won't hurt them if I charge these li ion and they happen to not really need it? There are all protected Cells

Assuming the charger is charging correctly to ~4.20v, or slightly less, Li-Ion cells can be safely topped off, which is a nice benefit, unlike some other batteries chemistries which like to be more fully drained, before recharging.

Chris

anthony lumens

Newly Enlightened
ChrisGarrett said:
Assuming the charger is charging correctly to ~4.20v, or slightly less, Li-Ion cells can be safely topped off, which is a nice benefit, unlike some other batteries chemistries which like to be more fully drained, before recharging.

Chris

Thanks Chris

LGT

Enlightened
A multi-meter would solve your problem. I wouldn't rely on a charger indicating a full charge. They must be tested to really know the actual voltage.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I just DMM them and sort them by charge state/history.

If I lose track of history, I put them into my box for single celled lights. (The most used category for me...)

If I know their history/they are for a multicelled light, I just find others for that light and make sure they match charge states, and bundle them as swaps for that light, etc.

That way, they are bundled by use and charge.