Battery Fault Mode Question

nmurr

Newly Enlightened
Hi I was wondering if someone who has far more knowledge than me may be able to answer a peculiar fault I have observed with a battery which has left me a bit perplexed. I have been using non rechargeable 6V Li-ion batteries BA-5372-U in an application. Datasheet can be found here http://datasheet.octopart.com/BA-5372/U-Ultralife-datasheet-85439.pdf. When new these batteries can be up to 6.6V but I have never seen them any higher than this.
On renewing some batteries which weren't working properly anymore (been working fine for around 4 years) the voltage measured on a couple of the batteries was 7.6V. Measurements were taken with more than 1 Calibrated DMM. When the battery was loaded with 50 ohms the voltage dropped to 0.1V then when the load was removed the battery recovered to 7.6V. It may be worth mentioning that these batteries consist of 2 x 3V cells connected in series.
Can anyone explain how the battery can develop a fault where the voltage increases as I can't imagine it was 7.6V to begin with. I've googled it but can't find anything. Does anyone know what is going on with this battery? Thanks