Battery storage

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you store all of your batteries? Ammo boxes? Foot locker? Suitcase? Refrigerator? Vault?! I have a feeling from some posts on here that some of you are buying 'em cheap and stackin 'em deep.

Last edited:

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Storacell containers for CR123 and AA. AAA rechargeables I just stack in the plastic packaging from a 12 pack. Delrin containers for CR123, AA, AAA for on the go that connect to keychain, thyrm cellvaults for 18650 and 16650s for on the go as well. I have a dedicated area in my gun safe for batteries

3_gun

Enlightened
Seems most of the batteries I have that are 14500, 18650, 21700, 26650, etc had notes that outlined a service life of 500 cycles or 3 years. Service life being till the battery only holds a 75% ish level from the rating. So having to many of these type of batteries outside of a light, battery pack, etc would seem to be excessive for most users. Even if you were draining the battery twice a week it would equal only 300 or so cycles over 3 years. Primaries like non rechargeables like cr123a, Eveready L91/93 have shelf life measured in decades and then there's Eneloops of which I've been using AA & AAA sizes for more than 5 years with no noticeable loss of service life/time.

With all of that said I have only a few back-up 16340/18350/14500/etc cells around. Two to 3 dozen of the Cr123a/L91/L93 etc(each) types are in the same small ammo can as the others, the eneloops are mostly in a desk drawer. The can also has a 25000mah solar charged battery back up, 2 bay charger & a few incan bulbs that might be needed in a pinch.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
De facto flashlight cabinet:
  • 18650s : Silicon-rubber quad holders
  • 21700s : Spare cell lives in the plastic dual holder my one pair shipped in
Former gun locker that's become a catch-all place for random stuff to live:
  • 123As : A menagerie of plastic cases
  • AAs/AAAs : Mostly some plastic cases w/ rubber inserts, some in a surplus/prototype holder I designed and laser-cut from 5mm tri-ply for some gift boxes I gave out a few years ago
The laser-cut holders were fun and I've been meaning to do some more.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
alkalines and other primaries are stored in the trash can.

everything else is stored in the communal charging area.

spare LiIons are kept at ~50% SoC.

eneloops are labeled with masking tape (blue tape in pic) and sharpie. i keep them in matched pairs to keep the cycles on them more consistent.

if i need to bring extra cells on a trip, i put them in little plastic cases visible below:

1688603577679.png

Last edited: