Battery with lowest self discharge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubois

Enlightened
I'm no expert, but lithium primary, I would imagine. Their shelf life is often 10 years.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't think any batteries will last 40 years. Maybe except for those made by NASA. As for rechargeables, Eneloops and i think Li-ions (except if taken care of badly) last quite a long time.

markr6

Flashaholic
Voyager 1 is still going! Launched in 1977, nuclear battery should last until 2020. Ah crap, not rechargable.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Voyager 1 is still going! Launched in 1977, nuclear battery should last until 2020. Ah crap, not rechargable.

RTG's will easily last 40 years. He doesn't have to recharge it.

Better get one quick, though, as I hear the stockpiles of isotopes are getting low and NASA may not be able to build very many more.

Raphion

Newly Enlightened
A bonus of powering a flashlight with a micro-RTG is that the waste heat would make it an outstanding handwarmer for those colder nights!

markr6

Flashaholic
I never knew what an RTG was either but I love my new Anorak.:p

OK I definitely need an explanation on this. I see you mention Anorak all the time, but all I can find is some type of coat. I'm missing the inside joke.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I definitely need an explanation on this. I see you mention Anorak all the time, but all I can find is some type of coat. I'm missing the inside joke.
It's a bit like being a geek. Although also has connotations with train spotters.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guys who turn a simple hobby into a science degree and go well over the top,we call them anoraks.

Status
Not open for further replies.