Bay Area CPF Camping Weekend - May 9th thru 11th, 2008

tedjanxt

Enlightened
no one carried one I believe

I actually had one on the zipper to my vest, which didn't see much wear. As to getting lost, I admit to getting turned around the first night/morning (2AM'ish) on one of Meeshka's jaunts (nighttime is the only real time you can get away with offleash walks in state/county parks)

We put in a good 3 miles I think, much the reason I didn't attend the hike with LowBat & Co. the next night. Anyhow, I think I passed the same tree 3 or 4 times that night trying to locate the trailhead I came out on, lol! It wasn't a matter of light, I had that Hokus Fokus with me, it was just a matter of bearings. We'd have stayed the night out there too, no way I was calling for help in a state park, at least not 'til morning!

Note to self: Carry compass from now on...

I am definitely in for a new outing this year.

I won't be attending another outing this year until I buy a new tent. After setting mine out to air & repair for a couple days, a couple of feral cats in my new neighborhood (read: barrio) decided to use it as a urinal. I didn't even bother, I balled it up and trashed it. I'm thinking of looking into one of these

I'm tired of dealing with the ground, if they sold treehouse tents in smaller sizes, I'd buy one of those, but I want to start some backpacking here on the West Coast, not continue the car-camping trend I've been on (dogs aren't conducive to backpacking, they take too much effort/calories/time to control) These hammocks look really comfortable and easy to set up for their weight.

TedJanXt, I maybe a character but so are you, I had so much fun meeting you.

The feeling is mutual, Christian. Please, feel free to call me Scott here, lol. There were some frustrating moments where we had some communication issues, but it all comes down to meeting new people, and dealing with new situations. Admittedly, not one of my strong points the last few years, lmao! I had a blast, although I felt bad at the end of the trip that I didn't have more of a "coffee station" set up. I got ballyhooed at work that day and had none of the prep/pack time that I wanted, not to mention being in the middle of moving! Trust me, I was more dismayed that I hadn't brought my quickie chilidog dinner makings for the night that I arrived, my blood sugar dropped so fast in those hills once I got started making camp I thought I was gonna die.

As for trips this year, I'm looking at J.D. Grant park (just below Mt. Hamilton here in San Jose) for reservations this year, but I have kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing about camping usually. If there's a site available when I get the itch, then I go. There's no taking days off or planning involved. I just stuff a box full of camping stuff, whistle for the dog, and go. I know how LowBat feels about being the "organizer" for the events in this area. It's a tough job, my wife (exexexgetitthroughyourhead) did it for our group of "happy campers" for 4 years, and did an excellent job. But she was always exhausted for 4 days afterward, heh...

Anyhow, I ramble, my brain hasn't shut down from work so I'm still in gogogogo mode. Ima logoff and go get a dinner. Night guys!

Nano-Oil.com

Newly Enlightened
How about our friend the Chef Gourmand ?? any news?

Christian

I actually had one on the zipper to my vest, which didn't see much wear. As to getting lost, I admit to getting turned around the first night/morning (2AM'ish) on one of Meeshka's jaunts (nighttime is the only real time you can get away with offleash walks in state/county parks)

We put in a good 3 miles I think, much the reason I didn't attend the hike with LowBat & Co. the next night. Anyhow, I think I passed the same tree 3 or 4 times that night trying to locate the trailhead I came out on, lol! It wasn't a matter of light, I had that Hokus Fokus with me, it was just a matter of bearings. We'd have stayed the night out there too, no way I was calling for help in a state park, at least not 'til morning!

Note to self: Carry compass from now on...

I won't be attending another outing this year until I buy a new tent. After setting mine out to air & repair for a couple days, a couple of feral cats in my new neighborhood (read: barrio) decided to use it as a urinal. I didn't even bother, I balled it up and trashed it. I'm thinking of looking into one of these

I'm tired of dealing with the ground, if they sold treehouse tents in smaller sizes, I'd buy one of those, but I want to start some backpacking here on the West Coast, not continue the car-camping trend I've been on (dogs aren't conducive to backpacking, they take too much effort/calories/time to control) These hammocks look really comfortable and easy to set up for their weight.

The feeling is mutual, Christian. Please, feel free to call me Scott here, lol. There were some frustrating moments where we had some communication issues, but it all comes down to meeting new people, and dealing with new situations. Admittedly, not one of my strong points the last few years, lmao! I had a blast, although I felt bad at the end of the trip that I didn't have more of a "coffee station" set up. I got ballyhooed at work that day and had none of the prep/pack time that I wanted, not to mention being in the middle of moving! Trust me, I was more dismayed that I hadn't brought my quickie chilidog dinner makings for the night that I arrived, my blood sugar dropped so fast in those hills once I got started making camp I thought I was gonna die.

As for trips this year, I'm looking at J.D. Grant park (just below Mt. Hamilton here in San Jose) for reservations this year, but I have kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing about camping usually. If there's a site available when I get the itch, then I go. There's no taking days off or planning involved. I just stuff a box full of camping stuff, whistle for the dog, and go. I know how LowBat feels about being the "organizer" for the events in this area. It's a tough job, my wife (exexexgetitthroughyourhead) did it for our group of "happy campers" for 4 years, and did an excellent job. But she was always exhausted for 4 days afterward, heh...

Anyhow, I ramble, my brain hasn't shut down from work so I'm still in gogogogo mode. Ima logoff and go get a dinner. Night guys!

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weylan,

I don't see the group photos you took. Are they MIA?
smoker.gif
I saw Weylan last night and reminded him about the group picture. FINALLY after 4 months since the trip he sends me a link. :ohgeez: Thanks Weylan ;)
So here's the group pic (20 of the 23 that attended, or 21 of 24 if you count the doggie).

2850295477_28b56f130a_b.jpg

Nano-Oil.com

Newly Enlightened
Hello All,

Just wanted to wish you all the best for 2009 in Health and Prosperity.

May sound a little late but in France you have 3 months into the year to do so.
So just call me fashionably late if you will.

Thinking of you all,
Take care and looking forward to the next outing in the wilderness.

Christian StClaire

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello All,

Just wanted to wish you all the best for 2009 in Health and Prosperity.

May sound a little late but in France you have 3 months into the year to do so.
So just call me fashionably late if you will.

Thinking of you all,
Take care and looking forward to the next outing in the wilderness.

Christian StClaire
Hey good to hear from you again! We're just beginning to plan for this years camping trip. Look for the signup thread somewhere in April.

gimmejr

Newly Enlightened
Hey good to hear from you again! We're just beginning to plan for this years camping trip. Look for the signup thread somewhere in April.

Im pretty sure Ill make this years, I just have to remember to get a warmer sleeping bag.