Bay Area Get-Together *DATE CHANGED TO 12/06/09*

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm.. I was hoping for more pics..

if anyone needs help getting them up, feel free to email me!!

err.. PM first, i'll send my addy over.

Last edited:

Max_Power

Enlightened
Did someone say they wanted more pics?

These photos are stored at http://www.flickr.com/photos/31055544@N05/sets/72157622841517757/ - I have more photos uploaded there, in case you didn't see yourself in one of these. Next time I will take some shots of the outdoor throw demos instead of just playing around with my $15 cyclops.

If anyone wants high-res versions, I have now uploaded the full-res 4282x2848 300dpi 12 megapixel spherically-corrected versions to flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31055544@N05/sets/72157622990975242/ . They are quite a lot sharper, but they are also around 2 megabytes each. I used DxO Optics to do a batch process on the 11-16mm shots to make spheres (human heads) near the edges look round again. This causes some cropping which can't be avoided. It also makes some straight lines into curves. You can magnify like crazy if you click on "all sizes" and look at the "original" size. The lights in the hat are a good example to try this on.

In the process of doing this update, I deleted the existing uncorrected photos on flickr.
This might break quoted messages, so please edit your post and fix the link if you want your quote to have a picture in it. Next time I will just post another whole set instead of breaking the old one.

My favorite photo is the last one in this posting. I need to take more photos of people in order to get better at it. Been practicing mostly on natural subjects the past year.

Nice hat - looks a bit uncomfortable with all that metal in it.

4180510149_7941148ca9_o.jpg

Xtar Howitzer, as modeled by csshih

4180511105_d3fcb1369d_o.jpg

Klingon Maglites

4181343992_51738d1448_o.jpg

The Bench - flashlight jewelry factory

4181343888_ac68c23bb1_o.jpg

The Table

4181273664_3b889b34fd_o.jpg

Group Photo

4181275020_5127ed9a9c_o.jpg

Available light shot of the table at f/2.8

4180510793_5d6398784f_o.jpg

Lone Star! I see that your schwartz is as big as mine!

4180512693_f79d08cf38_o.jpg

Jim on the right, with monster light and a backup (of course)

4181275206_fa8e2b3ed1_o.jpg

Flashlight lego discussion

4180580633_d6a608e1a2_o.jpg

No overt signs of flashaholism

4181274230_af7e2df3b9_o.jpg

Definitely a flashaholic - more lights are under false bottom of case!

4181274068_a2b5c54fec_o.jpg

Nerf ninjas

4181274686_15e9f3f685_o.jpg

Proud mom

4170860597_61401c61db_o.jpg

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Lone Star! I see that your schwartz is as big as mine!

4170861277_787156ec23_o.jpg

I don't think anyone got detailed pics of it, but that silver-bezel D mag workerB is holding has been modded with an HID. The ballast is crammed inside the body tube, adjacent to the switch housing. It uses a modded mag-D switch.

Lots of impressive DIY work at this meet!!

gimmejr

Newly Enlightened
Thank you to Modamag for hosting this. It might be to cold right now for a night hike. :thinking:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
One last note - many of the photos are done with an 11mm lens, so round objects (heads) near the edges of the photo will get smushed a bit. I was hoping to correct for that in post-processing, but there's not yet a DXO module for the Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 lens. I'm certain that it is only a matter of time before I'll be able to fix that. Next time I'll use the 24-70 lens more for people shots.

hehe.. fisheyes.

I don't know how, but I somehow brought the wrong lens.. a 28-80 one.. too zoomy for easy shots.. it'll be a stock 18-55 next time. :shrug:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great Pictures! Sure looks like I missed a great time!
(That stretched out effect was a little hard on the eyes ;))

Max_Power

Enlightened
I agree, don't like the oblong heads.

I just upgraded to the latest version of DxO Optics Pro 6.1, which allows me to correct for that. The correction was as easy as clicking on a preset. Even without a module that covers this lens, the software did a pretty good job of automatically rounding the oblong heads. It also reduced the apparent distance of the stuff in the center.

Magic!

Now I need to apply the fix to the rest of the images taken with the 11mm lens.

(edit - this has been done...)

Last edited:

unnerv

Enlightened
hehe.. fisheyes.

I don't know how, but I somehow brought the wrong lens.. a 28-80 one.. too zoomy for easy shots.. it'll be a stock 18-55 next time. :shrug:

I brought my 17-55 and it was just about right, for the group shot it could have been a hair wider, although we solved that by opening the garage door.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off Topic, but great! Everyone lost about 30 lbs with the "fix" of the images taken with the 11mm lens. :p

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Jonathan and family for hosting. Sorry I didn't stay longer as I just wasn't feeling well. Nice new home you found. Looks like you finally got a garage big enough to hold your cars and your hobbies.

TechnoBill

Newly Enlightened
Gentlemen,

You Are Killing Me!

Such a hard core group of unrepentant substance abusers all relatively proximal to one another is truly a beautiful thing.

But the fact that your wives not only 1)Refrain from divorcing you, but actually 2)Attend, enjoy, and graciously host your degenerate bacchanals leaves me envious beyond words.

And you younger guys, Hear Me! Until you are so filthy stinking rich that you do not have to attend work and your children are already well established in college, STAY IN CALIFORNIA! In fact, if you can move somewhere within your state where the laws are even more restrictive, such as banning any cameras beyond 'point and shoot' devices (No Detachable Lenses) you should do so as soon as you are legally able.

And this applies to YOU Sir Craigory, most of all. MrGman has touched the precision devices to which I allude, and can confirm the perils waiting outside your state's legal borders. Perils that will make the fall of Anakin Skywalker look like a stubbed toe. Children who don't recognize their father, a heartbroken widow grieving an UnDead husband, a man who makes seven figures but lives in a cardboard box and is attempting to buy U.S. Optics {Decadence Beyond Avarice} outright, a man who overhears "it's about 9:45" and hurries away thinking "Oh no. Not the 'velocity' versus 'caliber' pseudo-argument again. Those guys should pay more attention to 'shot placement'!"

Seek his counsel. MrG, the -aholism is strong with this one. Clouded, his future is.
4170860677_0e881721eb_o.jpg

Elder G & Co.: Perhaps you could take up a collection and purchase Music, Sound & Physics for Sir Craigory. I have previously planted the seed in a P.M. to him, but know not whether it has taken root. A gentle nudge, a percentage of a degree of change in tack, a fulfilling life, instead of a plunge into the Black Stick Side, and a forehead tatooed with "1,000 Meters: Where Fantasy Meets Reality." Closely watched must be he, lest the last words of Sir Craigory be "Mountable on WHAT?"

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
such as banning any cameras beyond 'point and shoot' devices (No Detachable Lenses) you should do so as soon as you are legally able.

uhoh.. I hope you didn't notice the "canon" strap on me in the group pic.
I have previously planted the seed in a P.M. to him, but know not whether it has taken root. A gentle nudge, a percentage of a degree of change in tack, a fulfilling life, instead of a plunge into the Black Stick Side, and a forehead tatooed with "1,000 Meters: Where Fantasy Meets Reality." Closely watched must be he, lest the last words of Sir Craigory be "Mountable on WHAT?"
:naughty: I got me a weaponlight.
a tad bit busy lately to think now! finals are next week!

Max_Power

Enlightened
If anyone wants high-res versions, I have now uploaded the full-res 4282x2848 300dpi 12 megapixel, spherically-corrected versions to flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3105554...7622990975242/ . They are quite a lot sharper, but they are also around 2 megabytes each. I used DxO Optics to do a batch process on the 11-16mm shots to make spheres (human heads) near the edges look round again. This causes some cropping which can't be avoided. It also makes some straight lines into curves. You can magnify like crazy if you click on "all sizes" and look at the "original" size. The lights in the hat are a good example to try this on.

In the process of doing this update, I deleted the existing uncorrected 800x600 photos on flickr and uploaded corrected versions of them. This might break quoted messages, so please edit your post and fix the link if you want your quote to have a picture in it. Next time I will just post another whole set instead of breaking the old one.

TechnoBill

Newly Enlightened
uhoh.. I hope you didn't notice the "canon" strap on me in the group pic.

:naughty: I got me a weaponlight.
a tad bit busy lately to think now! finals are next week!

Good Luck with Finals Sir Craigory!

"Canon" :huh:, "Weaponlight" :huh:, It's too late MrGman. Enjoy Craig's friendship and mentor him while you can. You are witnessing the last public developmental stages of the next generation's Law Abiding Citizen. {Movie Reference}
One Possible Version of Craig's future. Hit HD version button. It ROCKS!

sbox.gif
(NOTE) The plot summaries at IMD bear no relation to the movie. Jamie Foxx's character is a two micron deep, conniving, cowardly, heartless little weasel WAY overdue for a dressing down by reality. Gerard Butler's character is the hero. Or it's the other way around if you hold expediency over integrity. Rice (Foxx) is all Show and No Soul. Shelton (Butler) is all Soul w/ Show as a mere tool.
R-Rated Dialogue Quotes

But Sir Craigory, already in the process of becoming Stealth Craigory {To Wit: The false botton noted by marschw}, will have a 'hardened' but unobtrusive residence, unlike Mr. Shelton.

About those finals, he no doubt is already practicing the craft by being seen walking through high school doors in the morning, but I'm laying odds he walks straight out the back to another car and drives to the library of a big anonymous local University where he's doing Indpendent Study of his Sophomore year at Caltech! When he leaves home to go to college he won't be lying when he says he's heading off for Undergrad. But the word "Freshman" will never cross his lips. He'll be moving to Caltech as a Junior! Spooks always hide in plain sight.

"Inversely upside down kid." Yeah, right... I believe that...
bsflag.gif

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't been on the board much in the past month and a half, but it was good to hang out with everyone.

A belated big thanks to Jonathan for hosting the get together and donating his time and expertise on his lathe. I'm quite pleased with the way my bored Leupold bezel has worked out.

Latest posts