Beam Shots!

LASERforLIFE

Newly Enlightened
Here's a thread for all of you with your nice new green lasers or others to post your awesome pictures

outside this morning with insane fog
DSC171.jpg

DSC136.jpg

DSC172.jpg

it was definitely brighter than the pictures show. but oh well

mm85

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to get some nice shots for you guys hopefully tonight. Time exposure is the key!

TheBeam

Enlightened
Nice, but I just thought of a question.

Why does it look like dots, more towards the bottom of the beam? I noticed this in most beam shots of lasers.

LASERforLIFE

Newly Enlightened
well sometimes the camera doesnt capture the beam very well and the dots are the beam reflecting off the fog particles. it looks much better in person..

mm85

Newly Enlightened
You have to remember, when you are viewing a beam with your eye, you are seeing the hundreds of particles passing within the beam every second, each particle reflecting the light that you see. Now lets say that the camera only captures an image that is 1/200th of a sec long. You can conclude that instead of seeing the hundreds of particles which are continuously passing through the beam every second, we are only going to see a few of them in that time frame. So as I stated earlier, time exposures are the key.

And sorry I couldn't get those wonderful pics, it was lightning tonight and raining.

jtice

Flashaholic
You also have to take into acount, viewing angle.
The beam is changing position as it travels away from you.
in certain angles, you can be looking "down" the beam, more, rather than seeing it more from the side.

I made up my mind just this morning actually, that I am going to get one of these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ill take a TON of pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-John

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not into lasers, but I do believe that the beam of those lasers is pulsed. It's actually only on half of the time. It doubles battery life, or something like that. It also makes it easier to see.

mm85

Newly Enlightened
Ok I couldn't wait until dark so I took this beamshot at home...now how do I post my picture on here!?

mm85

Newly Enlightened
Is it just me, or do people like not even read what you ask in here?

Fussy

Newly Enlightened
yeah but he asked how he does that!!! i want to know to for when i recieve mine in a few days!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif how do you post pics?

Tesladownunder

Newly Enlightened
These photos were taken on a foggy night and compare a 5 mW green diode laser and the 10 mW red HeNe laser which interestingly seem of equal brightness to the eye as well as the camera.

Peter

laserRedgreenshedbright_small.jpg

mm85

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, nothing will load, it just freezes when it's done uploading. I'll have to try again tomarrow.