• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Beastmaster's X80 LED Lamp Assembly - version 1

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may be mistaken but I believe the X 80 has an equivalent in wolf eyes d36 available from pts lights I've been looking for a used 8nx to try just this with lithium ion batteries but finances are pretty bad for me

I'll confirm the D36 won't fit, it is too large. I tried the "fit" test some time ago. The D26's bezel is smaller than the X80 and the D36 is larger. I don't know of any other production lamp assembly with the X80's dimensions.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
More pics - this time with the 8NX.

x80-9.jpg

x80-11.jpg

x80-12.jpg

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the BMX80 and when I get to work I'll start charging up my batteries for reviewing.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Got the BMX80 and when I get to work I'll start charging up my batteries for reviewing.

Nein166,

Thanks for reviewing it! I do have one minor thing - I zoned out on the fact that you have an 8AX and not an 8NX. So - I owe you an o-ring that I have depicted in one of my prior posts (the blackish solid one).

It'll go out in the mail today.

With that being said - my next batch of reflectors are coming in, so once they hit, I'm ready to go from there.

-Steve

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in seeing the review in the 8NX. I already have a working but well used stock X80 lamp standing by to sacrifice to the Beastmaster.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I'm interested in seeing the review in the 8NX. I already have a working but well used stock X80 lamp standing by to sacrifice to the Beastmaster.

NotRegulated - you have a PM. I have an offer for you.

I also have some feedback from my beta testers. I have a minor mod (thanks Nein166 and Offshoreracr!) that makes it fit even better.

As soon as I get done with dinner, I'll post some new pics.

-Steve

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Okay - thanks to feedback from my two beta testers so far (Nein166 and Offshoreracr), I've improved things slightly to where the fit is far better.

It did, unfortunately, require me to modify the reflector a bit. However, now the reflector fits in deeper and I'm able to seal the bezel past the o-ring in the 8NX and the 8X.

My original beta units were a two piece design - the pill fit into the head, then the reflector went in, then the bezel screwed everything down. Now - it's a one piece design.

I have one minor test (heat related) to perform. Then I have one more beta to give out and get feedback on.

Pricing still should be the same. I did have to get some more grinding bits to work with so I could do some increased fitting.

Here's some more pics. Some of them are similar views.

-Steve

x80-13.jpg

x80-14.jpg

x80-15.jpg

x80-16.jpg

x80-17.jpg

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
My initial report. The BMX80 wins against the X80 in brightness and runtime. I'm running the BMX80 in the 8AX.
It is effective to 50' very good hotspot and good sidespill.
With the X80 aimed at a point on the wall I turned the BMX80 on the same point.
Result - I can't make out the X80 except in the ring of cree.

Batteries used are made up of these Sub-C cells and the B90 Harness wrapped in Kapton Tape.

I got 80 minutes runtime on the X80
At the battery 2.2A at 4v forward
And at the end 1.2A at 2.1v

I got 4 hours high output on the BMX80. Its still running and I need to go to bed soon.
I'm thinking we have a buck boost driver here with a max Amp in.
It got rather hot then dropped in output.
At the battery its pulling 920ma on a fresh battery with 4v
And 130ma on a battery run for 5 hours down to 2.5v under load

Luxmeter readings will follow with beamshots.

I'd like to take lux readings on the BMX80, X80, X80-LED, Downboy917 w/ USVOI in Aleph1, and a Surefire 6P
I chose the 6P because most of us know what it looks like.
And the Aleph1 w/DB917 SSC because its similar in output to the BMX80 and uses the same reflector as my X80-LED (McR-27)

Any thoughts?

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I know I'd like to see comparative beamshots myself. It's the only way to know (for me) that the module can compete with others of similar capacity.

-Steve

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so I took some Luxmeter readings against some of my lights.
I was delayed in posting because the X80 I used at first read half as low as the P60. As Surefire rates them it shouldn't be that way so I took a new X80 out of the pack tonight and re-took the reading. It just reminds me that lux and lumens are very different, the beamshot of the X80 will help explain the lower numbers.

Luxmeter reading at 1 Meter:

BMX80 -------------- 4765

X80 ----------------- 3666

X80LED -------------- 2510

Aleph 1 SSC@917mA - 4370

6P ------------------ 4015

MRV-R2 ------------- 21,160

I took beamshots indoors, trying to get as much obstructions and color in the way. MrMom has opened my eyes to avoiding flat monochromatic surfaces. I didn't take the X80 Shots or MRV. My X80 was so low on that night, 2680. So now that I opened up a new X80 I will take a beamshot and update it in the next couple days. The MRV has claustrophobia, it doesn't like being used indoors :grin2:

Testing with Flash
1.jpg

Testing Lights Out (white lights on VFD can't be turned off:mad:)
2.jpg

BMX80
3-1.jpg

X80

(Coming in the following days)

X80LED
(Coming in the following days)

Aleph 1
4-1.jpg

6P
5-1.jpg

Offshoreracr

Newly Enlightened
If anybody is on the fence on this one I say give it a shot. After testing mine for a while now I like it a lot. I tested runtimes with two 8NX's side by side one the X80 and the other the BMX80. Batteries were fresh charged identical series B90's. After 50 minutes the X80 was DOA, the BMX 80 ran for 2:45 minutes on high ( as best as my eye could tell) then diminishing output for another 1:15. After 4 hours the light was not dead but I ended the test there. Output was very low but more than enough to see in a very dark environment close up.

Heat was never an issue for the BMX, barely even warm to the touch after 45 minutes. The X80 was very hot after only 30 minutes, to hot in fact to really hold. Side by side output the X80 looks very yellow and anemic, the BMX was bright and white, with good sidespill and a very bright hotspot, against the X80's mostly limited flood beam.

Nein166 pictures are a good comparison indoors, I prefer it indoors over the X80. Outside they are more neck and neck, the BMX having more throw, but the color washout at long distance makes the X80 fairly even in the end. The BMX is brighter for sure, but color rendition goes to the X80 . Still I think I would prefer the BMX out doors at this time. For the runtime alone. Plus................everytime I drop the darn thing I don't have to worry about the bulb crapping out.

Fred

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting Picture Heavy

Well I didn't like the way my last pictures came out, The ISO was to high making it look grainy, and the target was too far away and undefined.

So I re-shot them in a better location set at 25 feet and got better quality pics. The only problem being color changes from LED to Incand. I had the camera set to OutdoorShade for the LED shots and Incandescent for you guessed it the P60 and X80 LA. It makes all the shots easier to compare as the Incand's look red using the OutdoorShade and the LED look Neon Blue with Incandescent.

Here is a photo of all the lights in a lineup. BMX80 is in the vending machine ball for safe keeping. I swapped the X80LED and the BMX80 out of the 8AX for pictures.

I also took some pictures of the beams zoomed in on the targets these didn't come out as good because of vibration. Did I mention I don't have a tripod?

As before with 2 additions:
Aleph1 - SSC USVOI DB917 LE
8NX - X80
8AX - BMX80
8AX - X80LED
MRV - R2 Cree
6P - P60

Lineup (BMX80 / Aleph1 / 8NX / MRV / 8AX / 6P)
Lineup.jpg

Flash Shot of Target (Valve handle)
Flash.jpg

Aleph 1
2Aleph1.jpg

MRV Low
125ft-MRVLow.jpg

MRV HIGH
125ft-MRVHigh.jpg

6P
125ft-P60.jpg

X80