bedside flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedPRO

Enlightened
Re: Do you keep a flashlight near the bed?

Flashlight near the bed? all the time, always kept an L4 at bed side...

ScottyJ

Enlightened

On my nightstand I have an L2, C3, M4, HDS, and a few ARC's.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast

i though I was the only one! I keep a 4AA craftsman 5 LED "work" light next to my bed. This is enough light to be just fine or wonder over the six feet to get my E1L, U2, Ultrastinger, Stinger HP ETC...

Always a light on the night stand... kinda feel weird if I don't have it :)

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened

Part of my going-to-bed ritual is to take some of my EDC out of my pocket and put it on the bedside table. This includes an Orb Raw and some keyring lights. (I like to keep the keys ready to hand in case I am got out of bed to answer the front door.)

dca2

Enlightened

I have an Elite Max CPF on the nightstand and my edc-Fexix L1P- in my bowl on my nightstand with my wallet, E2e is also in the bowl and anything else battery opperated I can sneak in :naughty:

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used keep an Arc LS on the nightstand. I'd use it in moonmode for any nightly journeys and to find my way to other lights. And I used it to get the last remaining juice out of my 123s.

But almost everything I use now is rechargeable (even my SF M6), so I don't have enough almost-depleted 123s. I find that an Arc AA with a rechargeable is perfect.

Paul

Bozzlite

Enlightened

Yes! A TLE-5 modified MM on the night stand. Have pre-ordered some of those new Nite Ize IQ tail switches for when I knock it off the night stand on to the floor. Because I'm blind at night without my glasses. Hmmmm. Come to think of it, I'm blind during the day without my glasses.

edakoppo

Newly Enlightened

Gen 2 (I think--not a Gen 3) Dorcy AAA and a 6C M*g, which will be a mod host at some point when Fivemega's got drop-in sockets available again, plus whatever lights were in my pants pockets that day. Probably another 20 lights within a few more feet, upwards of 40 counting keychain lights.

morituri

Newly Enlightened

My night light is a Maglite AA with SMJLED. It has a NITE glowring attached to it, so I can always find it in the dark.

Flea Bag

Enlightened

C3 next to my bed on my left. M6 next to my bed in a bag on my right.

Good thing the poll is going like I would expect from CPF members!

Trev1960

Newly Enlightened

Always have my HDS EDC near the bed set on the lowest setting so it is not too bright if i have to turn it on. If I am in a different bed room I will usually leave it on low.

Minds_eye

Newly Enlightened
Sitting changing the batteries in my Inova X5 a few nights about whilst watching a zombie movie on the telly :whistle:and routing through the, now rather empty, box of cheap panasonic CR123a's I bought a while back and began a train of thought ...

Basically the X5 is used to light up my bedroom, the house (when I can't be bothered turning the lights on) and most regularly to look out my window into the garden to see just what that 'bump in the dark' really was.

The Inova does pretty much all my tasks adequately, with a lovely full flood (though sometimes a bit more throw would be nice), though the batteries are a tad too expensive / hard to come by for my purposes -I realise you can pick them up cheap online, but I'd like to know I can just pop down to the high-street and pick up a set of batteries for less than £10 (about $16)

The most likely looking contenders have come in the form of the Fenix lights, which I stumbled upon on Lighthound, which buying my Arc AAA -

I was first tempted by the L2P due to it's advertised longer run time over the L1P. However having read a review (clicky) stating the run time on Alk AAs was less than the L1P my mind isn't exactly made up.

The reviews at http://wwwFlashlightreviews.com seem to suggest that the L1P will run longer unregulated than the L2P will with it's fully regulated circuit when using regular AA batteries. Am I reading this correctly?

I guess what attracted me to the L2P is the comparability with the Maglight AA, which has long been my trusty bedside light. However, since the L1P would have relatively longer output, I'm thinking this might be the more economical choice, if that is the drop-off isn't so severe to make it eventually little better than my ARC AAA towards the end of the battery life?

I have by no means ruled out other lights though, so any suggestions are much appreciated.

Cheers

C4LED

Enlightened
Re: AA LED Flashlight - Nightstand / bump in the night light.

All of those lights are worthy of interest. However, there are many others you could use for your purposes - and you could also use AA rechargeables in them.

The UK eLED 4AA for example puts out more light and will out throw your X5. The price isn't bad and the size is still small:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/uk_4aaeled.htm

Also, you could get the TerraLUX MiniSTAR2 Minimag Upgrade - especially since you already have one to upgrade:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/re...x_ministar2.htm

There are still many others that you'll probably get suggestions on.

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened

Fenix lights are great all around, but a bit too bright for me for in-house needs, like trips to the bathroom. You will see a big improvement in throw compared to the X5, even using the L1P. Much tighter hotspot. Have both plus the L0P, rarely use he X5 anymore. Sounds like you bought an Arc, use that for in house, get a stronger thrower for peeking outside.

My understanding is the L2P has higher output than the L1P from various reviews. Plus, the outstanding regulation. They also like using NiMH batteries, so runtime should not be a major concern if usage will be limited to in-house tasks...just recharge the batts every 2 months or so on a regular basis. I've got tons of NiMH batteries in various things (cameras, wireless keyboards, remote controls, etc.) so can always scavenge power in an extended power outage too.

C4LED

Enlightened

(Looks like all the simians are replying to your question!).

:crackup:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Minds_eye said:
The reviews at http://wwwFlashlightreviews.com seem to suggest that the L1P will run longer unregulated than the L2P will with it's fully regulated circuit when using regular AA batteries. Am I reading this correctly? I have by no means ruled out other lights though, so any suggestions are much appreciated.

Cheers
Yes the L1P will outlast the L2P with alkalines, but the output of the L1P will be weak.

I'd say if you want flood instead of throw avoid anything with a reflector. You might want to get one of those cheap multi-LED 1xAA lights that are common on eBay.

Also, welcome to CPF! I'm somewhat familiar with Merseyside. I spend a few days there with some friends in '93.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast

In a fight for my affections between a L1P and a L2P, the L1p wins hands down. I think you'd like it too.

But you could also go for: Peak Kilimanjaro 5LED good for cu and night indoors navigation. ($45 from pocketlights.com)
Xnova 8 Led - ditto.($5.99 at Lighthound)

Led Lenser David 1AA luxeon(Appx £30 )

Or if you want to go for longer runtime and lower level lighting you appear to be there with your ARC AAA.

Alternatively, if you are looking for more throw then try any of the INOVA T series (T1-cheapest-$50 from pocketlights) or go for the surefire lights, too many to mention and with great 'LEGO'ability which is fun!

Good luck with your wallet.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

None of the lights you mentioned match the characteristics of the X5 you're looking to replace. The X5 produces a fairly low amount of light with a very floody beam. I assume you like this so as not to wake up others when walking around at night or completely destroying your night vision. The Fenix lights are considerably brighter and may wake others up in the dark of night.

For lights with similar beams and light output to the X5, consider the following:
- New Inova X1 (with reflector) - $15 from batteryjunction.com and other internet sites. Runs off a single AA for 8hrs of regulated output.
- Nuwai TM-313X (one of my personal favorite lights) - $20 for 2 at www.j2ledflashlight.com for the black ones (tho I love the titanium finish on mine). 8hrs of regulated output also from a single AA. More throw than the X5.
- Nuwai TM-310H - about $10 from CPF member LED_Experimenter. Less overall light than the X1 or TM-313X, but is fine for indoors dark navigation. Really small, has a nice momentary feature, and uses a single AAA.
- Xnova 8LED - as already suggested. Floodiest beam of all the ones I mentioned. Really cheap tho. Runs for quite a while on a AA.

If you want something brigther with a tighter hotspot (such as the Fenix lights, which are quite different from your X5), along with the Fenix's, also look at the Triton P1 offered by CPF member Waion. It has a floodier beam than the L1P, but makes about the same overall amount of light...sounds great for indoors and medium range tasks. It's also lower priced than the L1P.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Minds eye,
my hint is the Fenix L1P with the 2stage mod. With two 10 Ohm resistors you will have on low enough light inside the house and you klick on the switch, you will have a good light for the distance.
I feeds mine with 2600mAh nimh Accus and it works very well and for a long runtime. If you will walk through the night, take another cell with you and the runtime is longer than a L2P and the weight is lighter.
I'm absolutly happy with mine and if you compare different lights, take a look of a glas lens and an aluminium reflector, HA III coating and a very good r-bin Lux I LED.

I wish you look and best regards

___
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.