Beginner to batteries and chargers, I have no idea what I'm doing

Gooby

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I am wanting to get into the world of li-ion batteries and their chargers. I read that hobby chargers were the best option for charging li-ion batteries so I wanted to get one of those, however after reading some threads on charging more than one cell I have no idea what is happening.

1. Can someone please explain (in a way that even I could understand) how I could charge multiple batteries at once (say like 3 18650s or 3 rcrs). The part that is tripping me up is the wiring, the thread that I read had a white connector connected to like 5 different colored cables that was then connected to something else that then connected to battery cradles. So confusing. I read HKJs page on hobby chargers and he showed how to connect a hobby charger to one battery, but he didn't go too in depth on how to connect 2 or more batteries.

2. Also, what is charging in series and parallel (Or do they not even exist?)?

3. Do you guys think that I should just avoid charging more than one battery with hobby chargers because I have absolutely no idea about any of this?

I am tempted to just go to pila ibc for 18650s and then go for a cottonpickers charger for any smaller cells (RCR and smaller). I am going to stick to single cell charging right now but I want to have the knowledge to be able to charge multiple cells when I buy multi cell lights.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I'll not claim to be an expert as some here are. That said, most of my lights use 18650 cells or RCR123A cells and they are all charged in a Nightcore i4v2 charger. One to four cells just pop them on and remove when the indicator lights are solid.

Gooby

Newly Enlightened
That looks like a good option, would you recommend getting that for rcr and larger and just a cottonpickers for everything 10440 and smaller? I think that would be the easiest thing to do for a beginner like me.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
The two types of cells I mentioned are all I have, at least so far, so I can't really answer your question. But I'm sure others will appear with more information.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gooby, If you don't already have a hobby charger, I'd skip going that route. Sure the hobby chargers have more capability but I doubt as a beginner you'd see the benefit of a hobby charger. I'd get a stand alone charger like the XTAR VP1. I'd probably get that one over the Pila. You can charge 2 at a time on that charger along with different sizes. I seldom ever charge more than one battery at a time however.

The hobby chargers are mostly designed to charge power packs which consist of multiple cells in series. Because of that, the various wires you mentioned are so that each cell gets "equalized" (charged) evenly. Another problem with the hobby charger is that you won't have a cradle to place your 18650 in and will have to come up with some makeshift means just so that you can charge a 18650. Plenty of guys have done it but for a beginner, I'd shy away from the hobby chargers.

Last edited:

Gooby

Newly Enlightened
Ok thanks guys. I don't have a hobby charger right now and will probably opt out of it because of your comments. I have a Maha for all my NiMH needs, I will use one of the Xtar of Nitecore chargers for my large li-ion batteries, and a cottonpickers charger for all my little li-ion battery needs. Thanks!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok thanks guys. I don't have a hobby charger right now and will probably opt out of it because of your comments. I have a Maha for all my NiMH needs, I will use one of the Xtar of Nitecore chargers for my large li-ion batteries, and a cottonpickers charger for all my little li-ion battery needs. Thanks!

If you already have a Maha C-9000, you don't need the Nitecore, as it's slow when charging 4 cells up and it's not the greatest for NiMH batteries. If you're looking for decent/safe chargers, you can look at the Xtar line.

You can get two WP2 IIs for ~$40-$44 shipped and that would allow you to charge up 4 cells at 1A. If you're running the 10440s, you'd want to buy their WP2s charger, which charges at 250mA, 500mA and 1A, but is two bay. They're closer to $30 shipped. The WP2 II and WP2s have a USB 5v/500mA or 2.1A output, so you can charge up your phone or tablet with charged up cells.

Chris

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I use a ML-102 for 18650's and '3 Speed' Cottonpickers charger with display (for 18650's if it's closer) or for anything smaller such as 17500, 14500, 10440, and 10180. Only thing to be aware of is non-magnetic cells- my Ampmax 3100mAh 18650's and intl-outdoor 14500's have a brass coloured -'ve end which doesn't work with the magnet leads, I just use the 18650 cradle with spacers for the 14500's.

Voltage reading very useful for estimating capacity.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
Gooby, If you don't already have a hobby charger, I'd skip going that route. Sure the hobby chargers have more capability but I doubt as a beginner you'd see the benefit of a hobby charger. I'd get a stand alone charger like the XTAR VP1. I'd probably get that one over the Pila. You can charge 2 at a time on that charger along with different sizes. I seldom ever charge more than one battery at a time however.

The hobby chargers are mostly designed to charge power packs which consist of multiple cells in series. Because of that, the various wires you mentioned are so that each cell gets "equalized" (charged) evenly. Another problem with the hobby charger is that you won't have a cradle to place your 18650 in and will have to come up with some makeshift means just so that you can charge a 18650. Plenty of guys have done it but for a beginner, I'd shy away from the hobby chargers.

What this guy said, hobby chargers are for people who want more or are charging multi cells packs, as a flashlight user all you need is a smart charged like most of today's lion charger, that anything from xtar will do you, just pop the batterys in and at most adjust a few settings and wait for it to be done.

Unless you really need the information and caperbilerty provided by hobby and lab grade chargers just steer well clear.

I have used them and they are great for there intended use an many others but for a beginner or someone who's not into Those hobby's there is no need for one. Although once you progress they can be very useful tools of incredible power!!! Some getting into serious wattage and charging multpial 12cell Hicapacity packs at the same time (which is Crazy power) at high charge rates.

Not what you need.