Benchmade vs Strider?

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all

i suddenly got this thing about liking strider knives, espesially the SNG. so i was wondering how does a strider compare to my benchmades? i have a couple of benchmades and i love them espesialy there prices compared to strider:laughing: but there is nothing in the benchmade lineup that compares to the strider.how is the warranty as compared to benchmade? how is there quility? So should i start saving up to get a strider or stay with benchmade?

thanks!

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Striders are an interest subject. Are they "worth" $300 or $400? No way. Did that stop me from buying an SNG? No. :)

A Strider is just a heavy duty knife that - because of its thick blade and blade geometry - isn't very sharp. At Christmas I tried to open some of those plastic clamshell packages with my SNG, and it was sorta pointless. The SNG was not well suited for that kind of slicing. A cheapy Victorinox SAK is better for that, with its thin, scalpel-like blade. Any Benchmade or Spydie is better suited.

I have many folders, and the SNG is the best one for digging a foxhole. For everything else its not best.

Edited to add:

Oct-1.jpg

SNG with M3T.

Aug.jpg

Top to bottom: Delica3, SNG, Modded AR.

cheers

Last edited:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
see the thing is i dont have the money to spend that is why if i do buy one i dont want to be dissapionted. and i dont mind it not being sharp as i have had my benchmade full size grip for a year and i half and have never sharpend it. not becuase i dont like a shapr knife but becuase i use my knoves to manly gut wildlife, chop vines, chop tree limbes(small one of course), and totally put my knife through hell. i find the only time i nedd a sharp knife is when i am trying to get into my new light that is under a couple layers of packaging tape and i dont want to jab my new light, other than that i just use force when needed.

BTWdoes anyone know the name of the mini sng? i saw picture of it compared to a full sized SNG and i like the size as i am young and still have small hands.

does anyone know if there is anywhere that sells these lights a little cheaper than say tadgear?

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strider quality are top notch and would probably last a lifetime.

I dont have any benchmade but a few Spyderco that got me started into knives.

I was lucky enough to meet up with a fine fellow CPFer who sold me a Strider PT. For the money you get what you paid for.

jlowe2

Newly Enlightened
the PT is the smallest strider. sometimes you can find them between 250.00 and 300.00. i don't think benchmade makes a knife as heavy duty as a strider. you could try one of the buck stiders and see if you like it without spending the big bucks. i think you can find a buck strider 889 on ebay for around 50.00 the 889 is close to to sng in size.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
the cheapest pt i can find is 300.00.

ok so as i am knew to strider how can you tell if you are getting the black handle or the more "heated up stainless steal look". cuz all the ones i can find is the black handle.

mspeterson

Enlightened
The PT is one heck of a tough little knife, slightly smaller than my recently acquired mini Rittergrip with a thicker blade and tougher frame. You should also check out the ED, it's a fixed blade PT (exact same footprint), with a skeletonized handle. Another great small Strider is the WP, with the trademark cord wrap handle, it has a thick blade with a very stout tip. You won't find any deals on new Striders, but there are plenty on the secondary market. I've seen a PT go for $220 used, a beater SNG go for $280, if you have the time to wait. The ED is I believe $125, the WP is $175, both new. You should also look at Chris Reeve Sebenzas (the 'classic' comparison) and Kershaw/Strider Zero Tolerance knives (Tad has them). Strider has a great warranty and good resale value , heck they even did a special edition kit with Surefire!!!

striders.jpg

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow is the pt really smaller than a mini grip? i edc a gull size grip and find it to be just right if not to small.

thanks for all the great advice! all have to check all them out.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah after that pic i do think i will have to skip the pt and go for the smf is what i am looking at. i think the pt would be way to small for me.

thanks for the great help!

knifebright

Enlightened
Benchmade boy
i after years and years of being around my strider carrying friends have finally got to a point were i understand and love them. It took a while but nowi 'm all about striders. Just so you know alll the pics in this thread that are larger than the PT are the SNG model. I mention this casue you say you want and SMF. Here is a picture off all three of the models for you to have a size reference. One way you can tell if your looking at an SMF or an SNG is that the smaller SNG has three body screws and the larger SMF has 4 body screws. Can i make an off topic recomendation since i have all three models,.... look into the ZT-300 series. I'll try and snap another pic next to an SNG and SMF for you. Its one hell of a knife, Designed by Mick strider and Ken onion and in my opinion every bit as tough as a strider with the speed safe and recurve blade for about 1/3 of the price as my recurve SMF. Also for the price of a strider dont forget your paying for piece of mind and the lifetime warrenty. Used/knew whatever you break it they fix it... There was a guy on another board that broke one by putting in through concrete and jumiping up and down on it. Fixed for him cause MIck strider clearly states that if you break it first he'll be impressed and thenn it will be fixed or replaced.
IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

Jimmy

knifebright

Enlightened
Ok here is a comparison shot between
1. MSC NM SMF
2. ZT-300usn model
3. SNG didgi cam TAD model
sure you'll need a few striders as well but the ZT is the most robust production framelock that comes close and in some cases is better built than many midtech and custom frame locks out there and they cant' come close to the ZT price point with keeping the strider style g-10 one side and Ti the other.
IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0942-2.jpg

JImmy

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah i think the smf would be to big so if i get a strider i iwll go with the sng. but please people can you tell me what the name is called for the color of the handle with the digi camo in the blade. it is the sng but i want to know the kname of that color of handle.

thanks and great pics!

knifebright

Enlightened
I'm not really sure your question but the handle on the sng of mine is just standard G-10 with the standard flamed titanium back handle. You do have some options such as green G-10 or tan G-10 but all mine are standard black. the blade is called Didgi-Camo on the sng and the screen looking SMF is called Screen blasted or sometimes Night camo. The stripes are the standard strider blasted stripes. hope that clarifies if not let me know
jimmy

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
knifebright said:
I'm not really sure your question but the handle on the sng of mine is just standard G-10 with the standard flamed titanium back handle. You do have some options such as green G-10 or tan G-10 but all mine are standard black. the blade is called Didgi-Camo on the sng and the screen looking SMF is called Screen blasted or sometimes Night camo. The stripes are the standard strider blasted stripes. hope that clarifies if not let me know
jimmy
yup i think you answerd my question as every time i look at the sng all i see is black or od green handle but i love the look of the flamed titanium handle. i htink it makes it look so good. and if it is titaniium then it is super strong as well.

thanks for helping me!

knifebright

Enlightened
they all come with the titanium back handle sng/smf/pt. its the other models like ar/gb that the the g-10 overlays over the ti. so no matter what way you go you'll get one handle side with super strong titanium and the other side with super hard g-10 for an amazing combo
jimmy

Latest posts