BessieBenny's Budget LED (DX/KD etc) Flashlights Review Roundup (Part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superorb

Enlightened
Re: BessieBenny's Budget LED (DX/KD etc) Flashlights Review Roundup (Part 9)

What WOULD be great is if BB provided us with an excel (I'm guessing it's excel) file with the charts so I can sort them.

Anyway, got my RC-N3 from SB, wonderfully bright, more throwy than the L2D I have. I don't think it's worth the 50% premium just for the Q5 emitter, but it is wort hit for more personal and accountable service, as well as 2 day shipping!

The RC-N3 (single mode I have), does make you appreciate lower power modes though. If you use it in the pitch dark indoors it just blinds you. Makes an excellent thrower for my bike light though.
The Q5 version will be brighter and more efficient, so it will have a longer runtime than the non-Q5 version.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

I have been playing around with an ultrafire 503B and trustfire TR-C2 (1x18650 / P60 hosts) and I find them perfectly serviceable hosts. The 503B in particular is VERY good overall. I am using DIY P60 modules and various 18650 cells.

If anyone is interested I will gladly post a detailed review of either... although you'll have to keep in mind I am using DIY modules that I mod for 1350 mah delivered to the XR-E. So my comments will be primarily on their physical performance as hosts.

dscn5614.jpg

dscn5615.jpg

dscn5622.jpg

dscn5617.jpg

dscn5618.jpg

dscn5623spq.jpg

dscn5619h.jpg

dscn5612k.jpg

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast

A review of the 503B would be great, thanks.

Did you see that they have an MC-E version of the TR-C2 - sku 18857?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast

503B looks so much like Solarforce L2 (and SF 6P). From those two I prefer L2 - at the same price there are many interchangeable accessories. Ultrafire has different construction, there's only one common thing - both fit D26 modules...

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Heres some more pics of the WF-503B

Body tube, bezel and switch cap. You can't tell from these pics but the overall body diameter is ~3mm larger than a Surefire 6P, and the tailcap O-ring is a little thinner. The result is a bigger feeling light in the hand with a much thicker wall thickness than a 6P thats been bored for 18650.
dscn5624s.jpg

dscn5625.jpg

Business end threads
dscn5627.jpg

dscn5630.jpg

Tail cap end threads. I spent some time fine tuning this end of th elight to get it to where I like it. Out of the box the body tube end was anodized. This forced current through the threads. My personal preference is to have a bare-metal tube end that butts up against the switch pill. That way current conducts more direct, without having to conduct through thread lube.
dscn5628.jpg

dscn5631.jpg

I also spent some time modding the switch cap. Out of the box its way too long overall length, and the cap bottoms out against the outside of the body tube. This again forces the current conduction path through the threads. I used a coarse grade file and shortened the cap by about 3.5 mm. This allows the body tube end to direct contact the switch pill ring. I also used some metal polish and smoothed out the O-ring contact surface. I don't think it really needed it, I just wanted a smooth, slick surface for the O-ring to slide on.
dscn5635.jpg

dscn5638.jpg

The bezel is pretty nice out of the box. Mine has some crude machining marks on the inside which can be seen when looking into the business end. Its nothing more than a cosmetic annoyance, although I am going to polish them out with some metal polish.
dscn5633.jpg

dscn5632.jpg

The O-ring is a little too big and does not engage the lens. I'm going to have to replace it with a slightly smaller one to better seal out water.
dscn5634.jpg

-CHEERS-
-Body tube walls and overall diameter are thicker than an 18650 modded 6P.
-Good heat sinking capabilities. The cavity for the P60 drop in is deep, and cradles the side wall length of the module snugly with some AL foil. Although the large diameter spring is still needed for electrical contact. Despite the spring, I still think there is enough body contact to adequately conduct heat. Using my DIY 1350 mah modules for 30 minute runs heats up the body of the light quickly, so surely heat is not being trapped. Although a spring-less design would still be my preference.
-Nice OD color, more green than type III Surefire anodize.
-Smooth feeling reverse clicky.
-Nice knurl grip and anti-roll bezel
-O-rings throughout, although the one on the front glass is too big.
-Smooth yet firm thread engagement, very close to my Fenix L1T.
-Can be completely taken apart.

-JEERS-
-O-ring at the front glass is too big, a smaller one is needed to properly seal out water from the front.
-Anodized body tube tail-end forces current through threaded areas.
-Bezel is a little thinner than my 6P, I am sure one drop will dent it. I wish the bezel were as thisk walled as the body tube.
-Spring-less body contact with the P60 would be my preference.

Overall I think its a good host, although not as great as a solarforce. The fact that it accepts 18650 cells puts it (and the solarforce) on another playing field than my trusty 6P. The 503B needs a little tweeking to get it to reach its full potential, but once you do that its a perfectly serviceable light for anyone on a tight budget.

**edit**
I bought this light used from another CPF'er, who bought it from ebay seller HKequipment. It originally came with a 7.4V Xenon module for $15 free S/H. At that price its a slam-dunk excellent value. To date this host offers the most bang for the buck that I have found.

Last edited:

barnefko

Newly Enlightened

@Kramer 5150

Great detailed review of the WF-503B. As i happen to own a TR-C2 could you be so kind and also post a review with suggestions for improving?
May i also ask you about your DIY 1350ma P60's? i am very interested in such. Did you review or describe them in another thread?

T.i.a

kramer5150

Flashaholic

@Kramer 5150

Great detailed review of the WF-503B. As i happen to own a TR-C2 could you be so kind and also post a review with suggestions for improving?
May i also ask you about your DIY 1350ma P60's? i am very interested in such. Did you review or describe them in another thread?

T.i.a

Sure, I think the TR-C2 is good to go out of the box. It already has good conduction from switch pill to body. Just lube the O-rings and threads to keep things smooth, and foil wrap the module to increase thermal conductivity and its good to go. IMHO thats the most significant technical difference between these two lights. The 503B cradles the LED module "deeper" for increased thermal contact, while the TR-C2 body tube business end is more shallow and does not have as much contact area. Still though I think the TR-C2 is a perfectly serviceable host as it is.

As for my modules, they are DX11836 modules modded for single cell (3-4.2V) operation. I bought 3 of these 1000mah drivers from DX:

dx6190cs8.png

I pulled two L7135-0813 drivers from the donor board and transplanted them onto locations A and B on the recipients. Another CPF'er did the same mod and measured 1350 mah to the LED on high. I can't remember the DX SKU number for these... but based on the user interface descriptions these boards I modded have the same UI as DX 7612 (although the DX pictures do not look the same as my boards).

FWIW, you can double stack any 7135 drive chip and instantly gain ~350mah.

DX1886 would be my preference but they are build to order only (AFIAK). So you place an order and are put on a waiting list until DX gets the order quantities they need to place a build order with their supplier.

Last edited:

JRA240

Newly Enlightened
wich is a better buy MTE M3 or TrustFire SSC P7-c

Wich is a more reliable light the MTE M3 (900 lumen) or the TrustFire SSC P7-C (900 lumen)

Are they realy as bright as they say they are... because I dont understand if you put 4 Led's in one it would it make it more bright and have more lux ?

I was planing on buying the mte m3 in till i was showed the TrustFire

thank you...

bullettproof

Enlightened
Re: wich is a better buy MTE M3 or TrustFire SSC P7-c

Trustfire 2x18560 is better because it has better heatsinking with a bigger head. Very bright 600+ Lumens. Its also able to drive the P7 hard because it has 2 batteries. Get a single mode I have one and like it. The tint is very cool but for the mmoney I cant complain.

Phill

Newly Enlightened

Wich is a more reliable light the MTE M3 (900 lumen) or the TrustFire SSC P7-C (900 lumen)

Are they realy as bright as they say they are... because I dont understand if you put 4 Led's in one it would it make it more bright and have more lux ?

I was planing on buying the mte m3 in till i was showed the TrustFire

thank you...

If you like flood over throw then the RC T6 reviewed by BB here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2888102&postcount=317

would be a good alternative. Dont let the 900 lumen claims of the other two make you instantly ignore this one claiming 500 - in reality the two will be pretty close and given how your eye picks up light it will look closer still in use. Plus the lumen output of the MTE and Trustfire is only a theoretical 700 lumen i read somewhere - and in reality it will be lower than that. In fact a couple people on the DX product forums claim this is brighter than their P7 lights.

The advantages is it can run the 6 LEDs at a lower current each to produce the similar light output meaning it will be more efficient and overheating a lot less. It also has no strobe or any other additional BS on it too.

If you cant tell, ive thought about getting one when i want to invest in a cheap "big light".

tnforever

Newly Enlightened

In continuation from the previous thread, so I gather that Romisen, Ultrafire, and MTE are all decent brands from DX, as is Liteflux

That's wat I really needed, there are so many lights on DX it's hard to choose.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast

In continuation from the previous thread, so I gather that Romisen, Ultrafire, and MTE are all decent brands from DX, as is Liteflux

Liteflux isn't really a budget brand. They boast a lot of features and high quality. They also happen to all show as being "sold out" on DX. The latest models are available from Khoo ( screen name LED Cool) in the marketplace and eliteled their US distributor.

tnforever

Newly Enlightened

Yea, I figured as much, they cost almost as much as some of the Fenixes.

But my post from the last thread really wanted a good starting point to see what budget lights as a starting point.

edit: wow I just realized my post didn't make any sense

I meant that I wanted to continue my thoughts and posts from my last thread to have a few good brands as a starting point for budget lights.

Last edited:

oldrock

Newly Enlightened

got the news today! my 3 K106 lights are waiting for me along with a pair of trustfire rechargables and charger. :party: I will be doing some informal testing of the lights with eneloop, sanyo 2700 and the trustfire batteries tonight!

oldrock

Newly Enlightened

I've had a chance to play with all three of my K106 lights now and the good news is all of them work! I'd never ordered lights from DX before so was a bit anxious but the package arrived well packed and all items were in working order. I have tested the lights with alkaline, eneloops, sanyo 2700s and trustfire lithiums. No problems working with any of the batteries. The lithium ones are most definately brighter than alkaline or nimh. I'm going to wait till dark and try to get a few pics with my digital camera. Till then, I can say the lights are not easy to program but after a bit of trial and error, I was able to get all three programmed. Lights were able to remember last setting too which I liked. I think I am leaving mine programmed to do min low, about half way and max high. one is going to get setup with min low, max high and fast strobe. That one will be mounted on a firestick :naughty:

One interesting thing about my lights... one of the three didn't have any writing on the case and was tinted a bit different. Everything else was identical except it had smoother threads on the cap and better o-rings. Light output appeared the same although I will be able to test all three when it gets dark.

Overall, I am already pretty impressed with these little suckers. The programming feature is very handy and light output seems very good with nimh and outstanding with lithium. Build quality looks good although one small nitpic I have is they seem to be pretty sensative to screwing the cap down very snug. When I don't crank the cap down nice and tight, the light had a little tendency to flicker right after you turned it on or when you gently tapped the side of the light. I seem to remember someone had an easy fix for this but will have to search thru the posts and see if I can find it. If anyone has suggestions on how to fix that, let me know.

Will see if I can get some pics later but really like the lights so far! If they hold up well, I may buy a few more as they seem like great little Christmas gifts. What guy doesn't like a nice small light that is powerful, runs on a single AA battery adn slips right in your front pocket. Even has a handy little spring clip which works great!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

FYI, the Romisen RC-N3 II Q5 (from shinningbeam) has been added to my 2xAA round-up review.

I haven't updated my 1xRCR/CR123A round-up yet, but output levels on primary CR123A are similar to 2xAA. On RCR, you loose the low mode initially, and light runs mainly on direct drive (similar to the Fenix P2D).

Overall, good value for the price, I think.

:wave:

Last edited:

oldrock

Newly Enlightened

pics didn't turn out great but I'll put them up anyway and might give folks some idea of relative power of the lights. I did two different samples. The first one was shining on fence from about 25feet. Second one was at 25 yards. I used the K106 with a fresh alkaline, a fresh off charger eneloop and fresh off charger truefire lithium rechargable. Shots were taken after 1min of ontime since I noticed it seemed brighter the first few seconds and then ramps down a bit and I didn't want to bias the results. Also used an incandesent minimag 2aa and 3d maglight for relative comparisons.

2aa maglight at 25 feet
2amag2.jpg

2aa maglight at 25 yards
2amag1.jpg

3d maglight at 25 feet
3dmag2.jpg

3d maglight at 25 yards
3dmag1.jpg

K106 alkaline at 25 feet
k106alk2.jpg

K106 alkaline at 25 yards
k106alk1.jpg

K106 eloop at 25 feet
k106eloop2.jpg

k106 eloop at 25 yards
k106eloop1.jpg

k106 lith at 25 feet
k106lith2.jpg

k106 lith at 25 yards
k106lith1.jpg

no mystery that the K106 blew away the mini mag and easily beat the 3d maglight. What was interesting is that the alkaline was noticably weaker than the eneloop. What everyone has said is also true, the lithiums really rock in this light. However the eneloop was still very bright for such a small compact light.

s.c.

Newly Enlightened
Re: Looking for a Chunky p60 Host .

Can you please elaborate on the tin foil trick? I recently got a R2 drop in for my G2 but seems to work only when pointing downwards.

Edit: nevermind...I don't know how this post got here, I was using my iPhone to post in another thread.

Last edited:

traplight

Newly Enlightened
DX MC-E p60 module

To put it simply... incredible deal!

I'll spare all of the photo close-ups and get right to the details

Pros (depending upon your perspective):
- Puts out an incredible amount of light
- Draws ~1.78 amps average on high (105 deg F tested)
- Very floody with SINGLE faint ring on peripheral cone
- Safely draws from Trustfire,LG's, and Panasonic 18650's
- Led was centered perfectly
- Very smooth beam for 25-30 deg.
- Reasonable price
- Convenient p60 size rig
- springs are gold plated

Cons:
- This thing will cook without proper HS
- questionable QC on solder points to brass pill (yes, it is brass, NOT copper... butstill effective for what it's worth)
- rings around base of reflector may causwe heat build up because they trap air rather than making contact with outer flashlight body.

This is my first MC-E purchase and I was amazed at the quality of light this puts out. The light quality is just a hair under neutral with a very, very small amount of coolness throughout the entire spread.

Anything past 1m shows no signs of die shadow due to OP.

After playing with this for a couple of hours, some of the things which will be changed:
- Increase durface area contact by filling the reflector base fluting with copper wire and AA
- add more grd solder points

I had a non base mounted MC-E ready for a headlamp creation, and ran across this ~1.5 months ago and decided to take the plunge. It has definately surpassed my expectations as far as quality to price ratio.

it gets an 8.9/10 out of the box with potential for 9.8/10 after a few 'adjustments'

tks DX

If anyone else has any input on a version they received from DX, please feel free to addend.

If enough people request it, i'll be more than obliged to post some beamshots from both wall and outside.

krisman136

Newly Enlightened

I was wondering if you guys can help me find the perfect flashlight. I'm looking for something really bright, maybe like a 900 luminous, or whatever. I'm looking for a smooth spotlight sort of light. I want it Waterproof because I want to take it hiking with me, and maybe caving. can you suggest some flashlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.