BessieBenny's Budget LED (DX/KD etc) Flashlights Review Roundup (Part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: BessieBenny's Budget LED (DX/KD etc) Flashlights Review Roundup (Part 7)

If my MTE SSC P7 lit all 4 dice the same it would be GREAT. As it is it isn't too bad and has a tighter beam than the XTAR SSC P7-C2 I got at Lighthound today.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you get it and have no issues with the then yes.......My only experience with MX is one light that didnt work properly so it went in the trash.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had the SS model and loved it........always worked.

kenzo

Newly Enlightened

Just a heads up guys. The tailcap from Romisen RC-G2 fits the MTE C2-1 perfectly. So if you're looking for a forward clicky and to shorten the length of the C2-1 a bit then it's a good idea :D

bessiebenny

Enlightened

Kenzo - wow. After reading your post, I tried this and I can also confirm that it works perfectly. Awesome find!
It also makes the MTE C2-1 shorter by a fair bit so it ends up being more compact. I'll mention this in my review of C2-1.

CampingLED

Enlightened

wow, the Ultrafire C3 (p4 emitter, comes w/holster) is now $10.73:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1993

Is this now the best bang for the buck 1AA?!

Mine arived two days ago which I bought as a gift. The holster is cool, but the light has flickering/contact problems. I must still find the problem, but I think a copper washer under the circuit may do the trick. Not very bright due to the P4 used. The SS version is MUCH better quality (unfortunately @ a price)

bessiebenny

Enlightened

Just noticed that there is now a AAA version of the Akoray with SSC emitter.
It says 150mA. So I expect more like 30 lumens not 60 lumens as stated.
Anyways. It would have been better if it had programmable modes like its bigger AA brother and used a P4 bin.
Seems we can't get everything from a budget light. At least it's not even $9. =)

radu1976

Enlightened
just got 2 x AA/14500 lights from DX ...AKORAY + ULTRAFIRE A10...very nice lights

Got 2 nice good looking mini lights from DX :
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16607

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19187

I have ordered those based on their design and the fact the emitter is CREE Q5 . I was expecting them to be bright as they are using 14500 cells too...and I am not dissapointed.
Got them in 16 days from the moment I did my order at DX.
I wouldn't bet the anodizing is a HA type III one , but it looks good on both of them . With one mention : the UF A10 is not like it appears on the pics on DX site , the bezel and the tailcap have lighter tint while the mid part of the body is clearly darker ! The discrepancy is very clear.
The AKORAY 6-modes is in fact a 3-modes flashlight.
The lights came with unlubbed threads.

I have tried to do a runtest with UF 14500 cells and I got 41 min for the AKORAY , full brightness and 30 min for the UF A10...the emitters must be driven very hard.

According to my eyes they maintain quite a regulation - I have no ideea how good that as I don't have a luxmeter -
The AKORAY was warm after 15 min and hot after 30 min while the UF A10 was extremelly HOT after 5-10 min !!

The tint for AKORAY is neutral cold while the UF A10 has just a bit warmer one.
The AKORAY throws better due to its a bit deeper reflector , it does have a black ring around the hotspot while the UF A10 has a smoother beam , the ring being almost inexistent

Overall I am very happy with both lights, they look awesome , they feels very nice in hand, especially the UF A10 has an awesome grip ,they are very bright , both brighter than a COLEMAN 3AAA CREE light, about the same brightness with the ROMISEN RC-N3 Q5 CR123 , but with less throw due to their smaller reflector.
I wish the runtime to be longer and the rubber clicky to be longer ...as I am not planning to use them as candles

Very happy with the DEALEXTREME , this is my 5-th order from them.

Last edited:

cheetokhan

Enlightened
Re: just got 2 x AA/14500 lights from DX ...AKORAY + ULTRAFIRE A10...very nice lights

Thanks for the review. I've been looking at both those lights for a while now. I even went so far as placing them in my cart, but just never completed the order. They are very tempting, but I think I'll pass on these. I don't like ringy beams or cold tints. and there have been too many really nice lights coming out lately from Nitecore, Jetbeam, Eagletac, Darktort, etc. sucking up all my funds :broke:

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: just got 2 x AA/14500 lights from DX ...AKORAY + ULTRAFIRE A10...very nice lights

The A10 look like a NDI clone.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast

The A10 is a NDI clone. Without modes, tsk tsk...

Radu: I have an Akoray on its way myself. Are you aware that it is in fact a programmable light? You can set the three levels to what you want. There are more details on the DX forum page for that light.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast

The UF clone does look nice......especially for that price.

jayb79

Newly Enlightened

How is the brightness with a 1.2v cell? I would expect it to be dimmer, but how much, 1/2 as bright?

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast

The A10 looks nice and seems to be pretty bright...

With all these clones I cant resist from ordering them... But after thinking it twice I better save up the money and get a JET-I Pro IBS, I havent been lucky with cheap lights.

radu1976

Enlightened

Yes, I was aware and thanks to the DX threads I was able to setup myself the modes...otherwise the ideea of a fast clicking for 6 times to set up the brightness would have never occured in my mind :shrug:
Pretty similar to JETBEAM IBS interface, however the JET is easier to be set up in my opinion.

The A10 is a NDI clone. Without modes, tsk tsk...

Radu: I have an Akoray on its way myself. Are you aware that it is in fact a programmable light? You can set the three levels to what you want. There are more details on the DX forum page for that light.

Last edited:

radu1976

Enlightened

I had last year the NITECORE EXTREME and the JET-I R2.
But I took the decision of selling those mainly for 2 reasons : one per each light.
The NITECORE EXTREME wasn't fully regulated and the runtime was shorter than I was expected from a 85$ flashlight.
Regarding the JET-I IBS , I didn't like its VERY STIFFY clickie. In fact I gave up to a lot of lights mainly because of that.
Of course , the quality of those 2 brands is superior to the 2 lights ordered from DX ...but for me it wasn't worth to keep 2 lights of 70-85$/each .
That's why I have bought a ROMISEN RC-N3 Q5 too :))
Unfortunately I have never owned a NITECORE DEFENDER but yes, from the pics the physically the UF A10 seems to be a perfect one-mode clone for that light...minus the discrepancy of the colour.
I am sure that the JET-I IBS R2 throws better than any of the DX lights...plus a much better runtime , in a fully regulation too...but this is a bit bulkier . It's known that the JET is the best AA/14500 thrower.

The A10 looks nice and seems to be pretty bright...

With all these clones I cant resist from ordering them... But after thinking it twice I better save up the money and get a JET-I Pro IBS, I havent been lucky with cheap lights.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.