Best 18650 light for hunting?

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are you willing to carry on your hip?

It's all about size and output. I would recommend a Nitecore EC4S. Very smooth light beam and it makes an excellent search light. If wanting to light up a side of the stadium, then a Nitecore TM16GT. If wanting more, then a custom light by Vinh. The problem, folks want too much from too little and don't want to deal with the size of the light that give one what they want and when it comes to money, all of a sudden, crickets.

For best price, a group buy.

Me, I hunt for my meat at the local grocery store but I have a bazillion lights to compare my above against. The Nitecore EC4S will do what you want, is under a hundred dollars (USD) and will fit nicely in your pack or your back pocket. If wanting a light for your rifle, my recommendation would be a Nitecore SRT7. If wanting a smaller everyday carry light, then a smaller Nitecore MH20.

I wish you luck with what ever you choose to buy.

Last edited:

hblock72

Newly Enlightened
I think I've decided I need two lights for going to hunting camp, which may not work for the original poster due to his need for "packability." I got in on the TM16GT group buy, so that will be the stay at the cabin light for use around the cabin after dark, seeing what's out there in the dark kinda stuff, or I'll take it out with the search party when looking for downed game after sunset. Then I'm going to get some kind of "pocketable" light to carry in my parka for walking to and from my stand before sunrise and after sunset. Right now I leaning towards the P12GT for this task, although the MH20 looks pretty neat as well. As a newbie to this whole flashohaulic thing, the choices can really be overwhelming. For the past 20 years I've used a maglight magcharger and an original streamlight scorpion incan or AA minimag and I thought I really had something. Ordering the TM16GT is really jumping into the deep end of the pool, but I've been out after dark looking to recover a bear and there was no such thing as too much light. I may end up with 3 or 4 lights before this is all over and whatever I don't use for hunting I will make my nightstand light for home use. Now I'm starting to realize how you guys accumulate so many lights and I'm afraid I've caught the bug as well.

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
What are you willing to carry on your hip?

It's all about size and output. I would recommend a Nitecore EC4S. Very smooth light beam and it makes an excellent search light. If wanting to light up a side of the stadium, then a Nitecore TM16GT. If wanting more, then a custom light by Vinh. The problem, folks want too much from too little and don't want to deal with the size of the light that give one what they want and when it comes to money, all of a sudden, crickets.

For best price, a group buy.

Me, I hunt for my meat at the local grocery store but I have a bazillion lights to compare my above against. The Nitecore EC4S will do what you want, is under a hundred dollars (USD) and will fit nicely in your pack or your back pocket. If wanting a light for your rifle, my recommendation would be a Nitecore SRT7. If wanting a smaller everyday carry light, then a smaller Nitecore MH20.

I wish you luck with what ever you choose to buy.

Thanks PK. Size vs output. For sure. I am just trying to figure out how big I want to lug around.

I agree with Hblock. When you are looking for a downed bear there is no such thing as too much light.

bob

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the backpack, a Nitecore TM16GT and a handful of plastic stored, freshly charged batteries. For the back pocket, a Nitecore EC4S. For the front pocket, a Nitecore MH20. For the head, a Nitecore HC90. Never hurts to have a FLIR handy.

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
For the backpack, a Nitecore TM16GT and a handful of plastic stored, freshly charged batteries. For the back pocket, a Nitecore EC4S. For the front pocket, a Nitecore MH20. For the head, a Nitecore HC90. Never hurts to have a FLIR handy.

:lolsign:

I already have the Nitecore HC90 so I am off to a good start.

Bob

hblock72

Newly Enlightened
Well I now have both the TM16GT and a MH20 on the way via the group buys. The P12GT was out of stock, but I may add it later, we'll see. As these will be my first modern high performance lights and first time using 18650 batteries, I'll next be looking for a D4 charger and some batteries. This set up should be light years ahead of what I've been using and I'm sure I'll be satisfied, at least for the time being. Most importantly, it'll be nice to just to have a reference point to be able to compare lights. I really have no idea what I "really" need as far as lumen rating, throw distance, ect. This will be a good start.

DoctorM

Newly Enlightened
I am also searching for a rugged, hunting light and am interested in the red output option. Are there any strong opinions between removable red filters or dedicated red LEDs?

Blitzwing

Enlightened
Brinyte B158.

Swap between red, green and white LED units. Adjustable focus. Easy scope mounting. Easily modded as you can get the empty pills from Gearbest and build whatever you want.

A dedicated red emitter will generally throw further than a white emitter with a filter.

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
I am also searching for a rugged, hunting light and am interested in the red output option. Are there any strong opinions between removable red filters or dedicated red LEDs?

I agree with Blitz. Dedicated LEDs will typically throw farther than filters. Filters just filter out and pass wavelengths of that specific color while the rest of the light energy behind the filter is wasted.

I am currently leaning towards the Nitecore MH27 for my new hunting light.

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/mh27

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-USB-Rechargeable-RGB-LED-Beam-Distance-462-m

bob