Best 6V lanterns, mods and batteries?

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What happens to the beam pattern if the light source (LED) is a little behind the normal bulb position/focal point?

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
I just spent $6. On an Eveready 6v floating lantern (i.e. the cheapie they sell at Lowes) along with 2 Mag brand 3 cell krypton bulbs. For $6, the little lantern outhrows every light I own (and I own a LOT of Mags, Surefires and Fenixes (Fenii??) ). Great little light for $6. But Ive probably way killed the bulb life, beings as Im driving a 4.5v bulb at 6v. Its very bright and white though, whiter than my SF g2's. Not as white as my G3, though. A little less bright than my P60 LA lights. But again, not bad for $6. Im going to start gifting the modded ones away to friends and family.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the easiest upgrade is to get a 3 cell bulb and overdrive. The maglite "whitestar" xenon bulbs seem to be the best for this. Go to lowes or a local hardware store and find a 3-D Whitestar xenon bulb. For an LED drop-in, I find the nite-ize 1 watt's the best to handle the voltage with-out over-heating...something the craftsman drop-ins are bad at.