Best AA NiMH Battery for 10A+ discharge? (LSD?)

keith p

Newly Enlightened
What batteries should I be looking at? I tried searching, but couldn't find an easy answer.

I'm building a MAG458 with 16XAA setup. I plan on rarely using this light, so LSD would be nice.
The Sanyo and tenergy look to discharge too quickly.

Been eye balling Eneloop XX. 80 bux for a set of 16 :sick:

Any other suggestions? Did I discredit tenergy and Sanyo too quickly??

makapuu

Enlightened
Try checking out Thomas Distributing.
They have a pretty good selection of LSD battery brands.

You can't go wrong with Eneloops.
I've been using them for years with no problems.
They now have a newer version that can be recharged 500 times more than the old.

keith p

Newly Enlightened
I could have sworn people said not to expect eneloops (like duraloops) to put out 10A+. I believe it was FiveMega, but don't quote me on that.

keith p

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link. Too bad the Titanium cells are discontinued. I have other IMR driven lights (including a monster lantern I am working on).

I just wanted to build a NiMH Hotwire. AW Softstart, 16AA holder, Quad bore Mag. Just need cells..

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Thanks for the link. Too bad the Titanium cells are discontinued. I have other IMR driven lights (including a monster lantern I am working on).

I just wanted to build a NiMH Hotwire. AW Softstart, 16AA holder, Quad bore Mag. Just need cells..

I made a similar build, only on an old, pre-D serial 3D Maglite, using 12AA cells.

I had wanted to do something with this light, but being that it IS a pre-D serial light, there aren't many upgrade parts made for it, but the one advantage that the older Mags do have is that the wider stock bore does allow you to use a 3D-12AA battery holder without having to modify the tube.

So, I got a UK equivalent to the Osram 64623 (Pro-Lite M180 - G6.35 bi-pin, 12V, 100W, but with an axial filament), wrapped the AW driver with sheet brass to increase it's diameter, got the battery holder from FM, and took a chance on Eneloops being able to cut it at high discharge rates. They quite clearly couldn't - not a glimmer.

Works perfectly with four IMR 26500 cells and a heavily cropped tail spring (I'm actually using the last loop from the bottom of one of the new style silver Mag springs - slightly extending the middle loop that secures the bulb in the tail cap, and using that as the contact with the bottom of the battery. Better still, that leaves with the rest of the spring to use as a normal Mag spring - two fir the price of one! :D )

Obviously, if I want to go back to the plan of using 12AAs, I'll need the 2000mAh Elites that FM linked to. :shrug: