Best all-round light for ~£50? Looking at Fenix PD35

hcanning

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone!

Long-term reader of this forum and new poster - there's so much info here!!

Anyway.. I had a Jetbeam BC40 which I absolutely loved, but the other day I rather stupidly managed to lose it - I have a feeling I left it on the scuttle panel under the windscreen of my car and I drove off.. It's long gone :(

So I am looking to replace it, with a budget of around £50 - I'm in the UK in case that narrows things down.

I'm looking at the Fenix PD35 and it looks excellent, albeit slightly over budget.

I guess the main uses will be when working on my car, generally out and about at night and very occasional urbexing.

Should I buy the PD35 or are there better (brighter, better throw) alternatives for the same amount, or less?

Thanks very much!

jimboutilier

Enlightened
The PD35 is a good light. I personally don't like lights with separate on/off and brightness controls and which you can't select a brightness level before turning it on but if you don't mind this is a nice light.

You might look at an EagleTac D25LC2 XML2U2 Clicky or Foursevens QP2L-X with burst mode. These are smaller than the PD35 with similar brightness and without the control issues of the PD35.

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
pd 35 alternatives

Hello how about a led lenser p7 i use one of these as my personal work light and have do one so for 5 yes or more.up until recently its been flawless but the battery clip broke but was replaced within 24 hrs at no cost by the importers no questions asked brilliant.the torch itself runs on AAA batts has variable focus and fits your budget i can't fault mine its a bit dinged and scratched but its a work light.PS I have used NiMH AAA rechargeables from day one with no problems

Aahhyes68

Newly Enlightened
Re: pd 35 alternatives

I just picked up an XTAR B20 Pilot for $37 delivered and I think it's a great torch for the money. I also have a PD35 and E35. The XTAR is the largest of the three, but not by much.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone!

Long-term reader of this forum and new poster - there's so much info here!!

Anyway.. I had a Jetbeam BC40 which I absolutely loved, but the other day I rather stupidly managed to lose it - I have a feeling I left it on the scuttle panel under the windscreen of my car and I drove off.. It's long gone :(

So I am looking to replace it, with a budget of around £50 - I'm in the UK in case that narrows things down.

I'm looking at the Fenix PD35 and it looks excellent, albeit slightly over budget.

I guess the main uses will be when working on my car, generally out and about at night and very occasional urbexing.

Should I buy the PD35 or are there better (brighter, better throw) alternatives for the same amount, or less?

Thanks very much!

PD35 is a good choice especially for Urbexing as you have the turbo mode,i was inside an old WW2 ammunition shed that just happened to be unlocked :D a few days ago and it was a long building but the turbo mode lit the place up like Blackpool Illuminations.Run it on 18650,s.

If your budget is tight just after xmas ideal light for working on cars is the Olight S10 which has a magnetic tail cap ideal for 2 handed use.

Use the discount vouchers off this site and someone like flashaholics will have the stuff on your doormat by return of order.

TSD

Newly Enlightened
Have you taken a look at the Olight S20 L2? Lower low, smaller size (fits in pocket better), larger hotspot and spill range, magnet in base, and can tailstand. The magnet in the tailcap and the ability to tailstand would be advantageous for car work. The S20 will not throw as far as the Fenix (PD35 will let you see further distances), but the beam profile would probably be more flexible for car work. The PD35 will enable you to see objects further away, but the larger spill of the S20 lights up objects closer to your feet, and increases your peripheral view. The S20 does have a greener tint which bothers some, but I find it acceptable. Also, I prefer the single button UI of the S20 to the PD35 duel switch design. Lastly, although the PD35 has a higher max, it only sustains it for 5 minutes vs 10 minutes for the S20, and then both drop down to around 450 lumens.

I should add that I have the Nitecore P12, which is similar to the PD35, and chose it over the PD35 after handling both. For your purposes, I would choose the S20 L2 over either.