Best Butane Lighter

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the old variflame windlites are excellent. Big tank on them and , if you've got one that doesn't leak, last a long time on a fill. I had a sarome sj and it is also a fantastic lighter (is yours HA3'd yet Bart? PICS Please). I did find the saromes a little small and my hands aren't that big. There is also an old sarome "gas" that is very high quality. It was part of a promotion from RJ reynolds many moons ago (30 years ago). I managed to pick one up in like new condition on ebay. The variflames are extremely wind resistant for a butane, traditional flame lighter.

I do agree with Bart, the torch type /piezo lighters really dissapointed me in terms of reliability. I also wouldn't buy a colibri on a bet. To be honest, every single lighter I've picked up, when compared to the build quality of the sarome sj and the "gas" and the old ronson, have just looked VERY cheap. I nearly bought a vector "gear" until I picked one up. It just feels cheap as well.

Pipe smokers go on and on about Old Boy lighters. I'd imagine they are one of the few high quality lighters left and they are priced accordingly.

I'd really like a titanium lighter and I'm surprised that the only model available is a Zippo. 70 dollars for a little Ti box with a flip lid is silly. Perhaps sarome will see the niche and make something nice in Ti.

dfred

Enlightened
xochi said:
Pipe smokers go on and on about Old Boy lighters. I'd imagine they are one of the few high quality lighters left and they are priced accordingly.

I assume you're talking about the IM Corona Old Boy. I have an IM Corona Double Corona cigar lighter and it is definitely the nicest lighter I own. (BTW, sorry for the ridiculous font on that second link...)

I've had it for 7-8 years and never had a single issue with it. Just fill it with good butane and replace the flints as needed. While it is neither windproof nor waterproof I would say does qualify as "built like a tank." I believe it is machined out of a solid block of brass, with the fancy shell put over the top of that. I "lost" mine once when it fell into the lining of a little-used sport coat with a hole in the inside breast pocket. When I found it about a year later it was still full and lit on the first strike.

The IM Corona's are made in Japan and are apparently marketed by Savinelli in the US. Not sure about other markets. I was unable to find a IM Corona Japanese site or other official homepage...

Yooper said:
I bought a Colibri to take with me on a ski trip. It wouldn't work at my condo at the base of Steamboat Springs, about 6500' I think. I'm disappointed.

I had a Colibri before I got my IM Corona. I did not abuse it and used the recommended butane but nonetheless had nothing but trouble with the thing. Went back for "repair" twice. In the end I simply could never trust it to actually work on any given occasion. The tobacconist sold me my IM Corona at cost to make up for the trouble I had with the Colibri... I think he eventually stopped carrying the Colibri lighters.

M.TEX

Enlightened
Ok sorry for the bad picture ... Here is 2 " china " lighters. the silver one is also a 1 LED flashlight blue tint US$ 5.00 at HoneyFarms...and the Black one is WALLMART US$ 8.00 whaterproof light.
they work well. I don't smoke and I just use for other tasks.
so far they are ok. the silver one has a GREEN flame and the BLACK one has
blue flame. for what I paid they are ok...

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
Costco has the Leatherman Supertool with the china lighter pictured in M.Tex's post (along with some binoculars). I leave them in my BOB for the car. The lighter is decent enough.

I got a Vector after seeing so many posts about it. Its got a nice solid feel to it. however, its not as nice as i thought it would...especially considering the price. I usually have to double pump to get a flame...and thats after its lit up earlier in the day. my old rebadged eddie bauer colibri from target works first hit more often than the Vector. i'll prob hold on to the vector...just because...but still it is a little dissapointing.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
B@rt said:
I'm an avid smoker and I'm using my lighters a lot :crazy: , so my usage is probably heavier than average. (Self rolled cigs won't keep burning if unattended, so almost every cig is lit a couple of times...)

Man, that phrase sometimes get you framed by some nonsmokers whom sees and treat smokers as criminals or drug addicts. You know, with all the anti smoking campaigns. I am a smoker too and I have to admit that I am interested in lighters, cigarete rollers, boxes and stuff. Have you try Rizla products?

As for lighters, torch style lighters usually don't last long. I end up with zippos anyway.

Stormdrane

Enlightened
Well, I seem to have broken the button on my Z-Plus torch lighter. If I fiddle with it, I can get it to light, but something is definately broken or worn out with it. I've probably put it thru more use making my lanyards in the last several months than the average person would use it over a few years. So for $12 I think I got my moneys worth. I tried another torch lighter I found in the sporting goods section at wally world, but I think it has a pressurization problem as it's hard to light and doesn't want to stay lit no matter what I set the +/- dial on. I use premium butane so I doubt that's a factor. I'll probably just get another Z-Plus.

cyberhobo

Enlightened
Last edited by a moderator:

shoeblade

Newly Enlightened
I have the helios lighter from brunton. Its very well made, waterproof, locks closed and has an adjustable flame. You can get it for about half that price if your lucky. See here.

Helios_L.jpg

Samoan

Enlightened
dfred said:
I assume you're talking about the IM Corona Old Boy. I have an IM Corona Double Corona cigar lighter and it is definitely the nicest lighter I own. (BTW, sorry for the ridiculous font on that second link...)

I loved my Double Corona. Worked the first time every time...until I managed to lose it.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
tattoou2 said:
I have a KGM Pinnacle that has been very good...nicely made, durable, lights on first try, long time between refills.

I want a lighter that will work outdoors. Maybe this one would do. I just got an Azen which is unaffected by the wind, but the fuel tank is so small I think I will need to refill it two or three times a week.

This is what I found on the Pinnacle:
[highlight]Coupled with a large fuel tank reservoir, it allows a user to smoke 10 cigars or 20 cigarettes a day for 120 days without refilling.[/highlight]

But when I click on the "KGM's famous 5 year Warranty" link, I found this:
[highlight]For example, it enables a user to smoke 10 cigars a day or 20 cigarettes a day for 30 days without refilling.[/highlight]

Well either way it's a heck of a lot better than the Azen, but I have to wonder about their quality control.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a few questions too!

A: I'm not a smoker B: I won't use it all the time but would like it to work when I need it
C: Had a Zippo Lighter Fluid lighter that was always dry when I wanted to use it
D: Have had cheapy butane lighters leak from the lever being pushed while in my pocket
E: Don't have a lot to spend

What would be a decent flip top butane for me?

tattoou2

Enlightened
eluminator said:
I want a lighter that will work outdoors. Maybe this one would do. I just got an Azen which is unaffected by the wind, but the fuel tank is so small I think I will need to refill it two or three times a week.

This is what I found on the Pinnacle:
[highlight]Coupled with a large fuel tank reservoir, it allows a user to smoke 10 cigars or 20 cigarettes a day for 120 days without refilling.[/highlight]

But when I click on the "KGM's famous 5 year Warranty" link, I found this:
[highlight]For example, it enables a user to smoke 10 cigars a day or 20 cigarettes a day for 30 days without refilling.[/highlight]

Well either way it's a heck of a lot better than the Azen, but I have to wonder about their quality control.

If you smoke 10 cigars a day or a pack of cigarettes a day, one could get about 30 days, perhaps 35-40, out of a refill. I've never kept track, but 30 days seems right.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. It looks like a good one. I'll need a bank loan to buy it though. :)

In the meantime I bought a Varaflame Windlite and it should arrive in a couple of days.

I'm still fascinated by my Azen. So far it is an impressive fire generator. It laughs at the wind. But it apparently burns butane like there's no tomorrow. I have the flame set as low as I can and still get the wire to glow red. I can hear the butane hissing whenever it's lit. That coupled with a small fuel tank makes it rather unsuitable for a smoker.

It seems to me the Azen is identical to the Windmill. If that's true, judging from the posts I've read here, my luck could soon run out. I've been feeding it Colibri butane and so far it's doing well.

jmy808

Newly Enlightened
I have a Xikar lighter and it works just fine on premium fuel. Hasn't disappointed me yet, great flame, many lights off of a fill, smooth operation.
It is similar to the S.T. Dupont's Xtend lighter. Runs about 20 bucks if you search the net.
Rgds,
Jay

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grox said:
My azen was pretty flakey from the start. :( It takes 3-5 clicks to light now.
You didn't have to tell me that, I'd rather not know :)

All the butane lighters I have used in the past would go bad. My current theory is it's from the crummy Ronson butane. I've switched to Colibri, but it will take a while to see if my luck has improved.

All I really want is a more wind resistant Bic. Actually I have a few. They are the Ronson Ronii lighters. They are my favorites, but they aren't being made any more and they wear out quickly.

Last edited:

Latest posts