Best caribeener/snap lock/quick release device?

Variant

Newly Enlightened
I'm a war photographer working in hazardous locations around the world, and I need a small, compact, lightweight, reliable, quick-opening locking device to attach my pro cameras to my camera vest or a neck strap. I've been using plastic quick releases but they're not strong or reliable enough. Then I tried using McGizmo SS jewel clips, but I found that those accidentally opened if twisted the wrong way. I need a really low profile, strong device, as I often hang my heavy cameras by only strap or attachment point. Any suggestions?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wrong forum for this quesiton but I'll take a shot at helping you but expect this to be moved elsewhere. Take a look at the Nite-Ize S-Biner - larger ones hold about 75 pounds. However I think what you may want is a real carabiner - just smaller than most. There are actually some very inexpensive aluminum carabiners I've seen in Dollar stores that I've used for years to carry keys and they are plenty strong enought to hold a camera. I'm guessing they would hold at least 50 pounds easy. I've also got some tiny clip carabiners that I think are rated at around 100 pounds. They look just like a full size wire clip carabiner except smaller. I'd also look at real mountain climbing carabiners - not the full size ones for your weight but the ones for carrying some of their equipment as they have much smaller but still strong enough for equipment.

Kato

Enlightened
I don't do a lot of climbing anymore, but I still use carabiners to hang gear off my load bearing equipment and backpack.

If you decide on a real climbing carabiner, I would suggest the Petzl Spirit. It's a medium sized carabiner and not too big for what you have in mind. They come in straight gate, bent gate, and locking versions (I wouldn't recommend the bent gate version for hanging gear. A loose strap pulled againt the front of the bent gate could open the gate and release your gear.).

The Petzl carabiners are my favorite because they feature a keylock with a smooth interface between the body and the gate. This is great for hanging gear, because the gear straps or cords won't get snagged by a hooked keylock as found on most carabiners made by other manufacturers.

Hope that helps!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a lot and lots of 'biners for climbing that would work and that come to mind. Available with locking or regular gates. Any good camping or climbing web site ought to get you started. Petzl is one of the most popular brands and for good reason. Break one and you have bigger things to worry about than your cameras. Not only are "real" carabiners good for your needs but they are made for situations where your butt is on the line. No other solution for your needs can say that.

I have used NiteIze S-biners and like them, but they too can come open by accident. A piece of rubber tubing to slide over the gate works OK and isn't all that clumsy.

On the cheap fix scale a couple of ideas would be to just use a quick link -- think of basically a replacement metal chain link gizmo with a screw close gate that can be tightened with a wrench or pliers and won't come loose. Available in several sizes/strength ratings, and in zinc, steel, or stainless (more expensive but a better choice in a tough environment) -- or else a steel snap link. These things are like carabiners in that they have a spring loaded gate but not made for climbing. They are available in different sizes and strength ratings. Again, I'd go for stainless. These are both hardware store items.

If you're in a war zone especially, you no doubt already know this but just on the off chance that you don't, I would strongly advise you to consider either using heat shrink tubing or black electrical tape to not only cut out the possibility of reflections but to also greatly decrease the clanking sound metal on metal can make -- if only to make those around you a lot happier. Noisy, shiny things are always good for making people nervous in areas where some people shoot at other people -- best not to have both sides ticked off at you.

Hope this helps and remember to duck when the other guys do.

Latest posts