best disposable 123 batteries?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
going to stock up
'Best' is any of the usual suspects talked up around here (most of which are essentially equivalent), but also from a distributor who takes "Bulk" quantities and repackages them into smaller quantities, and thus typically sells them at a better unit price than other distributors who don't do that (in my experience). Mine come packaged in a plain 'white box' (from BJ), but I don't care about the packaging when it saves $, and the cells are fresh and don't know the difference:). The 'worst' are the more expensive ones (of the same brands) you'll find at a local retailer, for obvious reasons. There's not much to choose between the ones referenced above, but I usually buy the Streamlights, as I figure a flashlight manufacturer has incentive to sell cells that will make their lights 'look good'. I would.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A couple of years back there was a bunch of tests done by a member (my apologies for not remembering who it was) using Malkoffs that showed the best value were the Battery Station brand. But depending on the application 'best' can mean a lot of things.
I opt for Rayovac for the 'best' price for US made. I opt for SureFire for the 'best' stability for high draw applications and always try to keep a stack of Streamlight batteries handy for the in between. Each time I buy from Elzetta I toss a dozen pack of Battery Station in the cart. Had some Panasonic and liked those but I'm out of those.

Battery Junction is a great source and have a bunch of info about each brand.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
id love them to make more amps for high drain i have energizer and titaiums and i just feel there lacking high drain abilty

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any of the CR123's made in the USA are best. All of these are apparently the same cells under the wrappers made by panasonic. Watch out for fakes/Chinese made cells as there are known serious safety risks with these. To avoid fakes, only buy from reputable sellers (don't buy these batteries from China or amazan, they have too many fakes).

TIFisher

Newly Enlightened
I have used Panasonic, Battery Station, Energizer, and SF and couldn't scientifically state which is 'best, however from a piece of mind standpoint I prefer and use SF pretty much exclusively anymore. The fact I have gotten killer deals on them in the last couple of years helps. I just wish I could find some kind of "vampire" light that I could use them in when they dive below 2.5V.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reactions: xxo

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just FYI: These are apparently made in U.S., not made in a Panasonic plant, and the plant is apparently not in Georgia, but rather in New York. Apparently some of the prevailing info here has become outdated.

It seems that the ones in the silver wraps are made in upstate NY:

It seems that the new ones in the silver wraps are made in upstate NY:

"...the new Ultralife UB123A manufactured in Newark, NY, USA. Ultralife's US manufactured version has an improved internal spiral construction and provides high pulse discharge of up to 3000mA"

apparent;y, the ones in the red wraps are made in China:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just hit the easy button and order CR123 from battery station.

interesting that Ultralife would design and manufacture a CR123 that mirrors the Panasonic specs.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i forgot who owned the battery station but he used to post here he was nice kevin or keith was his name