Best HDTV Brand?

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to purchase a new 32" HDTV in a couple days. What might be a good brand and or model to consider?

Thanks!

flash99dark

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I bought a Samsung 32" LNA550 1080 that we just love. If you happen to belong to [subscribe] to consumers
reports last time I checked it was the top rated 32" HD LCD in 1080....I paid a little over $800+ for it. That is with tax included and minus some combined discounts from the Circuit City.

We have had ZERO complaints or problems from this set. I still need to get a newer HTR set up as the older {4yrs} will not show the full capabilities of this set

I can think of NO other set in the 32" range at any price [I have checked a lot of stores before purchase]
that is any better than this one ..Good luck with what ever your choice is.....William

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
SHARP - We have 3 Sharps in different sizes. No problems, great picture. You cannot go wrong with them.

The main thing is stick with a major brand- Sharp, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic- you will always be able to get service if needed.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a sharp, but I wound up trading it in for my Samsung. The Samsung is pretty nice, but my LG gives me a much better picture.

spock

Enlightened
we just bought a 32'' vizio plasma(not lcd)that kicks butt. it is a 720p sold only at walmart. about $430-450. it compares well to our samsung LN52A650 in 1080p. the samsung is so real on some channels, that i feel like i can walk into it!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Sort of depends on whether you're looking at LCD or plasma but the Panny's, LG's and Samsungs are all rated very high. I'm a big DLP fan so I went with the Samsung. If you like the picture and the features go with the one that's priced the best. Pretty hard to go wrong with any of them.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a samsung 40" in 1080p that I love, but my 32" vizio LCD in 720p works just fine too. I've had both for a year and a half and never had a problem with either. At 32", I don't even know if they make 1080p, but I wouldn't bother with it if they do. You will not be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32" set.

Good luck with your search and enjoy your new TV!

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a Samsung 46" 1080p LCD. It is clear while standing or sitting viewing the screen from any angle. Some of the other brands we looked at became very "fuzzy" when viewed from an angle. The Sony of the same size looked just as good but it was more expensive and the Samsung had better reviews.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I LOVE my 50" Pioneer Kuro plasma.

For plasmas, Pioneer is best, Panasonic 2nd. But Pioneer is getting out of the game, so that may change things.

At this point in time, I would still pick plasma over LCD (provided you have the right viewing environment) but the LCDs are catching up fast.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
If price is no object, get a Mitsubishi Laservue. It contains a Class-4 laser assembly inside!

Seriously though - I've read that the Vizio sets are using a previous year's LCD panels, so take that for what it's worth. They might be lagging behind slightly in terms of contrast ratio and/or response time.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Well I will have to say Sony is probably the best IMHO but really Samsung TV's offer all the same features as a Sony for less $$ You can get a Samsung TOC (AMAZING TV) for considerably less than a Sony with the same specs. Now the question is where will this TV be kept? In a dark room or basement or where there is alot of light in the room? Plasma is better hands down but kinda sucks in a room with much light

AMRaider

Enlightened
I have bad luck with Sony TVs. They seem to die or have problems soon after the warranty runs out.

I currently have an LG (lcd) and it is fine. Sharp, good contrast, and excellent viewing angle. I saved the receipt in case of problems, but the place I bought it from has gone out of business! (Circuit City) We shall see how long this one lasts..

Last edited:

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was looking at this today, samsung 46" LED

http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5618617-1.html

priced at $2700 though, in a few months i bet they will take $2000

it is "vey thin" amazon has alot of very good reviews on it, wide viewing angle, very quick channel/mode change, almost no lag

my friend got a 46" bravia 1080 120hz for $1600 somehow he got pc richards to come down from $2700, it pretty nice...now i also hear someting about a 240hz set

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
...now i also hear someting about a 240hz set

This is all marketing BS really. If you can see a difference between the frames in a 60hz vs 120hz set, it is something. If you cannot (and I can't) then 120 vs 240 hz is nothing.

Also, something to consider, this is only relevant to LCD. If you are looking at plasma (which is hard these days as all the manufacturers stop making them), it doesn't matter. They don't have any issues with normal 60hz processing. Its a LCD only issue.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Sony's are good but they will NOT BACK YOU UP if you have any sort of problem.

Pioneer held the "best" title for a while but I don't know where they are now. Panasonic is always good.

It might be a good idea to find an audiophile forum or take a look at some CNET or ZDNET reviews.

da.gee

Enlightened
I like Samsung or did when I bought mine last year. AVS Forum is a good place to research TVs.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Samsung +1

They're basically what Sony was in the 80's. They make many of the panels that go into other premium brands and take first pick from that. They also seem to know what they are doing with the housings and support features. Just watch out for the current trend of high gloss plastic.

Metatron

Banned
i walked into a large retailer and was confronted by over a hundred screens all set differently no doubt. the salesman was clueless to my questions. finally, i got him to initiate a bluray demo on all the screens at once.
now i nearly fell over backwards, all the screens except for one had lag issues, jerky scenes as the camera scanned the horizon, non of the screens, except for one could pick out the water mark in the next test. it was clear to me that 99% of what i was looking at was utter junk. i walked out with my PHILIPS CINEOS.