Best Kitchen Knives?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Try checking out Williams & Sonoma or a Crate & Barrel store for kitchen cutlery if they're in your local shopping mall.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
My two cents worth: I have Wusthof, too. If you look at the number of posts here that mention them, that should tell you something. I use knives at my job for most of the day. My personal kitchen knives are Wusthof. That should tell you something, too.

They are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but you do get what you pay for with some things in life. That said, I would probably not buy them at a mall store, but after looking at them in an overpriced store, I'd search the 'Net for a good price.

This is a bit off topic, and forgive me if you already know this but other readers might not -- never put a good knife in the dishwasher. They are meant for washing by hand. Also, even with most stainless knives if you use them for cutting citrus, wash them immediately to avoid potential stains. Sharpen them as you would any fine knife, but do not use regular honing oil or any other petroleum based products. Food grade mineral oil or another food grade honing oil are available if you do a little looking and are much healthier choices.

Hope this helps.

gunga

Flashaholic
Oh yeah, as per the above posts, make sure you budget for sharpening gear.

I use a steel for honing/maintaining the knives, brand doesn't matter, I just got a Henckels because I like the handle.

I also use a DMT diamond stone (extra fine, green base). It works very well for sharpening, but is slow if you let your knives get too dull (horrors!).

It's nice, uses water for lube (no oil needed) and works well. Costly tho (was $65 Cdn for me).

I store them in a drawer block. It's not bad, and saves space. Others use a block or a magnetic rod. Don't let knives bang around in a drawer.

Always wash and dry by hand. Always use a cutting board.

In any case, take care of your knives and they will last forever.

Then it's not so bad buying the costly ones!

:)

Last edited:

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did already know not to put them in the dish washer :)

I'll definately look into the Wusthof.

Shane

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
We have had both Wusthoff Trident and Henckels 5 star. Some of these we have had for 20 or so years and we have been extremely happy with both. I think checking them out in person and getting the one that you like the feel of best is the way to go. I dont think you can go wrong with either Wusthoff or Henckels.

CLHC

Flashaholic
My brother is a chef up in Washington state and he uses and recommends the WÜSTHOF knives.

Then again, what the others said about "feeling" out the knives first.

tenfour

Newly Enlightened
i second the vote for Shun.

I have used wustoff, henkels, and shun (and cheapies too)... shun are my favorite. they just feel awesome, stay sharp forever, look nice... they are a bit expensive though.

MoonRise

Enlightened
Buy good stuff once and take care of it. It costs less in time, money, and frustration than buying lesser quality stuff.

That said, most kitchen knifes are made of a relatively soft steel and/or not highly hardened in order to handle 'ease of resharpening' (softer sharpens easier but dulls faster) and to handle kitchen abuse. The buzz-words "High Carbon Stainless Steel" or "Stainless Cutlery Steel" are marginally better than "made of metal" IMNSHO.

From what I've seen, many of the stainless kitchen blades are made of 420-class stainless steel and on the relatively soft side. Then again, I think I have gotten to the point where I think steel softer than Rc-60 is soft. Generally, I am not overly impressed with 420-class stainless with only a few exceptions.

I would recommend going and handling some good name-brand knifes first and see what feels good to you and seems to generally fit your hands. Different brands and handles all feel and fit differently to your hands.

Wusthof and Henckels are two higher-end brands with good-decent reputations. I would suggest going for a forged blade instead of a stamped blade, either CAN make a decent knife but usually manufacturers seem to make their stamped knifes at an overall lower price and quality point.

Don't even think of buying 'never-needs-sharpening' saw-edged knives. The only time a saw-edged or serrated knife is good is for only certain cutting operations, like a serrated bread knife IS the proper tool for the task.

You can get by with only a few knives, and you will most likely develop a certain favorite or so, but what you NEED are as follows:

- paring knife or two
- chef's knife or three
- serrated bread knife

You can add:

- boning/fillet knife or two
- slicer (the right tool for big roasts)
- cleaver if you need it

Note that an asian-style cleaver is slightly different in design and use than a western-style cleaver.

Kitchen shears -are- handy as well.

If you or the SO are into 'matching,' then maybe look into a set with the matching steak knives. You'll probably pay more for the 'matching set' than going ala carte, but sometimes it just comes down to that aesthetic.

The Shun and Ken Onion Kershaw blades look and seem decent, I haven't bought or used any though. At least the blade steel seems to be at least a little step above normal stamped 420. The Rachel Ray, KitchenAid, Emeril, etc are or were all in the 420-class steel and/or stamped and I wasn't impressed the last time I looked.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trust me, I'll never buy a knife with such a hideously orange handle. so the Rachael Ray stuff is out for sure. lol

Shane

Uncle Alvah

Newly Enlightened
I'm with Cy.
Ontarios "Old Hickory" knives are unbeatable value. Zero snob appeal, but practicality re-defined.

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
well the furi FX also comes with stainless handles and until you handle it/cut with it, look at the specs you can not describe the good feel. I have had kitchen knives from most all of the aforementioned makers and many that were not. some i still use, some i gave away and some are in the drawer but the one that i reach for is still the furi FX. Do an internet search on kitchen knife reviews or furi fx and see what you find. THis is a durable, sharp, very comfortable knife not to be just written off as some hohum stamped knife. BTW, at least according to their website they are forged. Perhaps you could share the source of the grade of steel they are made of with us? :)

Do yourself a favor and visit some knife stores and hold all these knives, see what they feel like.

**note, i just looked at the kershaw shun knives and they look sweet if you are up to paying the money.

I guess the real story here is that there are a LOT of good knives on the market, you might want to waltz over to bladeforums and search some of the threads there, this is a popular topic and real life chefs and masterbladesmiths frequent the forum.

ken

Last edited:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using my ontario old hickory knives for over 30 years and the only upgrade I would make is one ceramic paring knife. I have a henckles steel for straightening the edge and both diamond and arkansas sharpening tools. I do have one thin serrated stainless steel "miracle" edge knife for cutting frozen food, but mostly for cutting patties from sausage rolls, the serrations cut through the plastic package faster than a sharp plain edge will.

cy

Flashaholic
after the deer is hanging and it's time to process a deer.
what comes out for is my old ontario hammer forged kitchen knives!

talk about performance, all go and no show.

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened
RA40 said:
We've been liking the Shun line from Kershaw.
http://www.kershawknives.com/searchresults.php?search_by=category&search_value=22

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=249

It performs better than any of the German made knives I've had in the past from Henckles, Wusthof... Overall construction and craftsmanship is excellent. IMO.

+1 I have a Shun Wide Santuko and i love it.

also have a mix of global and henkels

My dad has had a Cutco serrated carver for my whole life still going strong