Best method of storage? Advice needed!

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good question.
I am looking for a bigger display cabinet and was thinking about this very question. Like what would be the best way to look after the rubber parts. I was thinking of something like my dry cabinet I keep my camera gear in but they work out to be very expensive for a big one. I live in a rather low humility area so maybe its a wast of money. I do want my collection to be on display so I can enjoy them not stored away out of sight.
I hope someone who knows more about what deteriorates rubber will chime in.

:thumbsup:

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights which were blister packed sealed shut (such as the SureFire 6P Defender, one of my all-time favourites) were still in mint condition after many years in storage whereas lights which were not sealed (such as the SureFire M Series) often had tarnished clips, cracked rubber grips and generally did not have the brand-new feel and condition as those which were kept sealed.
Not sealed = used? :thinking: I kind of doubt that sealed packaging alone would make much difference in how a light looks after many years. Unless the packaging is more or less airtight - exclusion of fresh oxygen, air-borne acids etc may well make a difference then.

I'm assuming that for preservation purposes, it's best to avoid temperature extremes (including large/fast temperature swings), high humidity/condensation, and UV sources like direct sunlight, which are known to degrade many plastics & rubber. And up to a point, lower average temperature is probably better as long as humidity is controlled. So mostly the same conditions that would be good for long-term food storage. :) Don't see the point of silicone grease for preservation purposes - if there's only the tiniest amount of mineral oil(s) in it, it may do more harm than good.

Also materials will make a lot of difference. A greasy finger on a brass light will have much bigger effect than on a stainless steel or titanium surface.

bound

Enlightened
I think, if we can put in a sealed inert gas isolation box is best.Alternatively, the temperature and humidity cigar cabinet can also be.

Last edited: