Thoughts on how best to liquidate my flashlight and accessories....

dakeller1218

Newly Enlightened
Don, gotta a large head K-L still has your plain brown box. Can you date this big boy?View attachment 46519Switch housing if I didn't know better looks like bakelite.. and is bulb socket designed by Edison?View attachment 46520
Rik: This is an earlier model and based on the reflector and shock absorber this light was produced in 1971-72. Beautiful light

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wish I could stop by and take a look at things and give you some advice. I'm up in ND, so I can't swing by. Last time I was near NC was in the military and the military made the south east suck a lot. I hope to never go back to SC or GA. There must be some locals that are CPF members..

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you've got a lot of Vintage or Antique stuff in good to pristine condition I might know a collector who would be interested. Seeing a few pictures or having a bit of a list of the better pieces would help.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'd say get a Supporter badge on CPF. Sell in the Marketplace.
Also, open up an eBay account. Those are your best bets.

I suspect that once you're able to take stock of your inventory and perhaps post either a photo or perhaps a list of lights you intend to part with, the community can collectively chime in and provide a rough and ready sense of potential value. Some may be in a position to purchase one or more lights from you directly. Finally, in another thread ("Good drop in for 3 D cell Maglite?") there is a somewhat lengthy discussion concerning a well established, faith-based youth camp for inner city kids, wherein many of the members of this community have donated lights that support the camping program. That youth program prioritizes C and D cell flashlights (for reasons that are detailed within that thread). Any surplus lights that may not be worth selling might be given a meaningful second life via donation. (Just a thought...).

Last edited:
Reactions: hsa

Monocrom

Flashaholic
In my neck of the woods, you give a long enough D-cell metal flashlight to an inner-city kid.... Let's just say that you absolutely need to make sure that all the kids in that specific group are part of the same gang, or have no gang affiliations.

In my neck of the woods, you give a long enough D-cell metal flashlight to an inner-city kid.... Let's just say that you absolutely need to make sure that all the kids in that specific group are part of the same gang, or have no gang affiliations.
I appreciate the cautionary approach to distributing heavy club-like lights to impressionable youth. That noted, the youth camp that member TH-Horne is affiliated with doesn't give the kids the flashlights, rather they are distributed to the camp counselors, for the multiple reasons recited in Tom's thread, cited in my post above.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say they are more likely to be addicts, informants, and/or homosexuals than a dangerous person. They get caught with guns but aren't shooting people and when they get locked up they have to join a group because they aren't so tough on their own. If they stab someone the person survives because they are too scared to be involved in a murder.

They can't stay away from transgenders late at night in the shower stall. They have no education and couldn't ever do a crime of complexity, They dress in a manner noticable to LEOs and even mark up their bodies too. I have no respect for them.

No disrespect intended, but it seems that comments addressing inner city youth and violence may not be helpful to rick1959's original question as to the best way as to liquidation his collection. I'm pretty sure nobody intended to hijack his thread. That noted, the Cafe might be a more appropriate venue for any additional discussion of violent uses for flashlights.

Thank you for your attention to this public service announcement. Also, please refrain from flaming the messenger. :devilish: Thank you.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No disrespect intended, but it seems that comments addressing inner city youth and violence may not be helpful to rick1959's original question as to the best way as to liquidation his collection. I'm pretty sure nobody intended to hijack his thread. That noted, the Cafe might be a more appropriate venue for any additional discussion of violent uses for flashlights.

Thank you for your attention to this public service announcement. Also, please refrain from flaming the messenger. :devilish: Thank you.
Message received. Also, with respect, and I genuinely mean that.... You were the one to initially de-rail the topic. As, the OP wasn't asking for worthy charities where he could donate the lights in his possession. Unfortunately, I've seen what can happen when affluent, young, well-intentioned individuals want to help poor kids from the inner-city. Specifically busing them into a charity sponsored outdoor camp to teach them wilderness skills. And show them the beauty of the great outdoors.

Short version:
Some of the kids being bused in belonged to a shall we say close-knit group that really loved the color Blue. Some of the other kids who arrived, absolutely loved the color red. No one was wearing their colors openly.... until later on. Individuals from both groups definitely recognized each other though. That first afternoon, the sports activity consisted of Baseball. And oh, how those kids were eager to get their hands on those baseball bats. They definitely enjoyed swinging them too. Police were called.... along with ambulances. The camp was empty by Day 2. And it stayed that way. Forgive me for being reminded of a less than pleasant situation that took place when you went into a bit of detail regarding the charity.

But you have my word that's all I'll say about that in this topic.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I wonder if @rick1959 found a local consignment shop. Often times at the outskirts of town are antique shops and local ma and pa nick nack shops. Often they'll sell on consignment. Various parts of North Carolina have large flea markets at what used to be big stores that went out of business.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Hello,
I'm at a point where it looks like I'll never be able to enjoy the flashlights and accessories that I've collected over the years..And while that makes me sad, having enjoyed finding them, my situation is now such that keeping the vast majority of them will no longer be feasible.

So what to do?

I don't have an inventory to share beyond what I have in my memory. Things like NOS parts, like the Ray-O-Vac (maybe Eveready?) glass lens replacements; flashlight bulb displays with NOS bulbs; a variety of USA made flashlights, some used and some still NIB....Some lanterns.....And plenty more...

Guess what I am hoping is that I could find someone who might be able to consign this stuff...Probably a dream....I used to eBay, but my situation makes that a difficult problem....

Anyway, any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated....

Many Thanks, Rick :)

Yeah, you really have to get the time to catalog and photograph what you have for any of us to help out.