Best- Most Reliable: aaa flashlight. ..?

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
My Al LD01 occasionally doesn't go to the mode I expect (it's like I'll occasionally double-twist due to jerky hand motions or rough threads - perhaps it's time to clean and lube it), but it hasn't failed to light when the battery is good.
My SS and Cu Maratac AAA's (same design as the IPT A3 and Olight i3) occasionally fail to come on, or will come on briefly, then go out. Once in a while, they don't switch modes. I'll crank the head down, and they'll stay on. Also, if I twist 'em "Off" lightly, I can still press the head to the tail and get them to turn on. I haven't tried the Al versions. Gave a purple A3 to my niece, and she's very happy with it.
I think the Maratac's are tough, and it will take a lot to break them, but they're not what I consider most reliable. Though I do love their compactness and brightness and will never part with them.
My Ti has not yet failed to function as expected, but I haven't had it long enough or used it often enough to be a reliable gauge. I have seen a couple threads questioning the long-term dependability of the tab. But I'm going to get another anyway.
I gave away my only Preon1. My Preon2 in "twisty" configuration came on unexpectedly in my pocket, twice.
I guess I prefer the solidity of a switch press to the uncertainty of all this twisting.

Said Preon2, now with improved Zodiac-modified Ti tailcap, has never let me down. And I've used it enough to go through a few sets of batteries. For reliable AAA, that gets my vote by far.
The modified clicky fits the 1 as well, if you're looking for single AAA. But you'll need to get creative if you want to hook it to your keychain.

(If I really need Reliable, I'll grab my Groovy!, or a Surefire with a Malkoff. I expect my upcoming HDS will fall into this category, as well. But those are far from AAA.)
Good luck!

- Tom

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the Eiger's QTC can be a bit finicky, and not smooth ramping, but it will always work.

Every one of my AAA lights except the Peaks has failed at some point, sometimes just with some cleaning needed, but failed when needed.

Small AA is another story. I have a very well used first run neutral Quark MiNi (almost AAA sized) that I have never had a problem with.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tint issues with the E01 can be fixed with a mod of the LED - although it is a pain and likely reduces some of the reliability (but I did re-pot the head). http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...love-with-your-E01-all-over-again-5000K-90CRI

I also think the E01 is very reliable, but I have to nod my head towards the Arc, Sapphire, Peak Eiger family of lights - which are all compatible. I have a Mako too and it is in the same reliability camp. The Peak Eiger heads need to be used with regular bodies (or QTC bodies with the pill removed) for ultimate reliability. The Peak heads are rock solid.

I do like the head on the McGizmo Sapphire - very tough as well and I trust the sapphire lens more than a plastic LED head. I wear my high CRI Sapphire on a Peak body and it just works every time:

eala

budynabuick

Enlightened
cave dave;3921487. I put the Fenix LD01 as the most reliable of the multi-mode higher output AAA lights said:
I have the LDO1. Great. I have now had the Klarus (Gold) MIX6 for 6 MO. There was concern by some that the gold would not hold and the neg prongs would flatten crushing the batts. The gold on mine is as new,the neg prongs will not flatten as it is designed that when tighten fully it does not bottom out. IOW"S, when fully cranked down the batt will not push down, by design, far enough (not on mine) to flatten the prongs. My 10 year old GD fully cranked (it has happened more than once) the head down TIGHT and with a bore light the prongs are still fully standing up as they should be. The modes are spaced nicely, and the beam is a beautiful flood of perfect light. Run times are very good. there is not a thing I do not like about the light. Someone complained about it having a blink mode but you never have to see it as it defaults on med. Most all the lights noted are great lights but I will take the MIX6 any day! It is also a classy light.:thumbsup:

Keith

Last edited:

Racer

Enlightened
I don't own any high end ones like Peak (on my to do list though) but from my small collection, the E01 seems to be the most reliable. I'd put the Streamlight Microstream up there too. I know everyone hates the stiff switch but I actually like it. I've never owned the A3 but the replacement, the I3 seems pretty bullet proof. I have a couple other cheap 5mm lights like the SWM R01A and the Nitecore T0, but they don't give me the same feeling of robustness that the E01 does. Neither does the Ti, though I think it might be my favorite night stand light of all time. But just going strictly by reliability (or appearance of at least) from the ones I've seen so far, that would be the E01.

sawlight

Enlightened
I sent a Ranger off with an EO5, it's seen three tours in Afghanistan so far and still working as it should! I've carried an EO1 in my pocket for the last 3-4 years, still on the same lithium battery! I have another EO1 in the storm shelter, unused other to check function. I TRUST these lights!
I really think you will be hard pressed to find a better platform than these lights! I've heard horror stories of what some Arc lights went through and still worked, I've no doubt this series of lights would perform the same as well!

scaramanga

Newly Enlightened
Got myself an E05 & E15 today to replace my Photon keychain light. I must say they are quite a big improvement in terms of output and the quality of the light as compared to my diminutive photon. I like the E05 better than the E15. Smaller and utilizes AAA battery. Its a winner!