Best small multi tool?

CLHC

Flashaholic
CLHC,

Does the can opener on Juice S2 work well? Also, how small is the philip bit? Is it small enough to open the screws on a fauxton? Thanks.
The can opener on the LM.J.S2 works "okay" and doesn't have that solid "bite" on to the bottle cap. Maybe this particular one that I have.

As for the philips bit for the screws on a fauxton? Well, I don't have one of those, but the small[ish] flat-head/awl/scribe may do the trick since it does work on the small screws on the hinges of my eyeglasses, and those screws are quite "tiny" if you know what I mean.

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
The Leatherman Skeletool is my choice for a small multitool. Yes, it's 4"-closed, but it's really slim and light. With its pocket clip, it carries like a regular pocket knife.

You mention camping and survival, though. For that, I would take the Leatherman Surge. The two main reasons are: 1) it has an awl, and 2) its file/saw exchanger accepts T-shank jigsaw blades. With that, you could carry a decently sized saw in a very convenient package. If I'm stuck in the woods somewhere, a good saw is one of the more desired tools.

Is it that you just want a small multi tool for camping/survival? :thinking:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I don't consider any of the Juice flavors to be "for micro-edc purposes".
I'm so glad you brought that up. I kept wondering why people were suggesting the Juice, if there are smaller multi-tools available. I've been carrying a LM Micra for ages and have found that there are very few things I can't take apart or solve with it.

danpass

Newly Enlightened
I have to admit that the TINKER from Swiss Army is one of my favorite "multi tools" for some reason.

I say that because even so I rarely carry it. My EDC is a Spyderco Meerkat due to its ease of opening/closing and the clip lol (even though it is only a blade).

But in the spirit of the question (ie: multi tool = having pliers) I do have a Leatherman Juice KF4 which is fine but I do prefer the original Leatherman in that vein.

Last edited:

concept0

Enlightened
I just found my Squirt P4 the other day. The pliers get knocked alot on CPF as useless, but I've found them quite useful for daily stuff. Especially for working on electronics and computers.

The number of tools that is packed into the little Squirt P4 is really quite amazing! Eight if you count the large flathead/bottle opener separately. I especially like the great file with different file patterns on either side. The two sizes of flathead screwdrivers and the philips-compatible screwdriver are also quite useful. The small flathead is perfect for eyeglasses.

The biggest advantage of the Squirt P4 over lots of other Leathermans (Leathermen?) including the Juice S2 is that the pliers are springy! Why can't they put a spring in all of them??

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found my Squirt P4 the other day. The pliers get knocked alot on CPF as useless, but I've found them quite useful for daily stuff. Especially for working on electronics and computers.

I agree the pliers are tougher than what some posters lead to believe, plus I believe it is the only leatherman that can be edc. I find the other ones to big or heavy, including the juice or the skeletool.

sappyg

Enlightened
it depends i guess but the LM squirt P4 is much bigger than it looks. if the squirt were a movie it would be called: "little BIG leatherman"... it is the best micro MT i have used.
the juice S2 looks like it might just squeek in but just barely. the size and the tools on board make it very handy plus i have yet to find myself in urgent need of a cork screw that the CS4 has.... but still, the juice is too big for a key chain IMHO.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
....If you are talking small, then it means the Leatherman Micra or Squirt...The Squirt models allow for access to the blades etc without opening up the tool.

may-8-1.jpg

Squirt...:)
I've keychain-ECD'd my Squirt P4 (pliers version) for over a year. Despite its limitations it has turned out to be one of the most useful little gadgets I have ever carried. I use it surprisingly often and have used every blade except the "awl" which should have been either omitted or replaced by something more functional. The pliers is first rate for its size, the flat phillips actually works and the meager little blade cuts clothesline and even thicker rope. The trick is to put the rope under tension, then it cuts more easily.

Brightnorm

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Micra for me. Guess I need scissors more than pliers.

Shorty66

Enlightened
The Leatherman Skeletool is my choice for a small multitool. Yes, it's 4"-closed, but it's really slim and light. With its pocket clip, it carries like a regular pocket knife.

You mention camping and survival, though. For that, I would take the Leatherman Surge. The two main reasons are: 1) it has an awl, and 2) its file/saw exchanger accepts T-shank jigsaw blades. With that, you could carry a decently sized saw in a very convenient package. If I'm stuck in the woods somewhere, a good saw is one of the more desired tools.

Is it that you just want a small multi tool for camping/survival? :thinking:

Ill get my skeletool tomorrow and am eager to mod it.
First mod will be to cut the biner from the tool.
Taking only one bit in the bitholer the tool should be smaller than a juice :)
Second i will attempt to get rid of the spare bitholder and integrate some charge scissors instead.

Third, and most difficult, i am planning to get a t-shank holder in the tool.
I have some plans how to do that but still have to see whats really possible.

If all those mods work, it will be the perfect edc tool for me.
Sawblades (and of course the original surge diamond file) and Bits will be carried in my wallet.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
...The number of tools that is packed into the little Squirt P4 is really quite amazing! Eight if you count the large flathead/bottle opener separately...
So you can use the bigger flat head screwdriver as a bottle opener? Actually, a Multitool bottle opener isn't necessary; just use the palm heel/table edge strike "maneuver" and any bottle top pops right off. Never fails.

it depends i guess but the LM squirt P4 is much bigger than it looks...

I just measured mine L 2-1/4", W7/8", Thickness 3/8". It's shorter than some of my keys. For my purposes that is pretty small.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I have often used the surprisingly good pliers of the P4, but many people prefer having a scissors. Occasionally I miss the scissors, but if necessary I can always use the blade, though it's a crude substitute. However, there have been times when the pliers were indispensable.

Brightnorm

oregon

Enlightened
I carry one of these tiny but robust Swiss+Tech, $6 @ Lowe's, (use the two screw drivers) in my right rear pants pocket, along with a slip-n-snip and a orange bandana imprinted with survival tips:

P1180133.jpg

P1180136.jpg

I figure that if I won't carry it then I can't bring the tool to bare. It is the tool that I carry that I will use and this one is easy to carry.

oregon

handy

Newly Enlightened
Leatherman Surge or Leatherman Wave :twothumbs

But of course these are not really "small."

Last edited:

sappyg

Enlightened
I just measured mine L 2-1/4", W7/8", Thickness 3/8". It's shorter than some of my keys. For my purposes that is pretty small.
Brightnorm

agreed... the intent of what i posted was to suggect that the p4 is greater than them of it's parts and it is an impressive MT.
that said. i am starting to favor the LM micra as a better solution for my needs.

i have overlooked the best small MT.... the one that i use everyday.... i gotta give a big shout out to the timeless SAK classic. i don't leave home without it.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would have been a Juice S2 for me had Leatherman included a #0 phillips head. What were they thinking? Who would make a COMPACT multi-tool with 3 flathead bits and not a small philip head? Idiots! That's who.

TwitchALot

Enlightened
Another vote for the Juice S2. For EDC, it's great- small, but not too small, and very light. You could go smaller or bigger, but I find the JS2 to be just right for me. YMMV.

OCD

Enlightened
+1 on the Wave and the Squirt P4.

I was so excited when I ran across my P4 in the store (bought it on the spot!) I wear dress pants every day for work, so any big tool is out of the question. The P4 allows me to have small tool for on-the-spot use without going to find a tool box.

I always liked the size of the Micra but never understood why you need scissors when you have a knife?:thinking:

Latest posts