Best throwing 2xAA flashlight?

radu1976

Enlightened
Defineteley the NITECORE MT21A XP-E2 and FENIX E20 XP-E2 are ones of the best if not the best from outhere.
They throw about the same, I sold my NITECORE as it was regulated for short time then the output was dropping but was still well regulated ... while FENIX E20 hold the constant brightness all the time - its runtime was a bit shorter than MT21A runtime though -
I liked more the FENIX construction, although a bit thicker it has a better grip and feels beefier.

Last version of INOVA X2 187 lumens is also a very good thrower - throws about 70-80% of the above 2 lights - and it's more compact being a twisty.
I also have 2 x ARMYTEK PARTNER A2s - one with XP-G other with XP-G2 - . They throw less than 50% than the top 2xAA throwers but beam is nice - optics inside -, same the tint, anodization is top notch, and they are very compact for 2xAA format. If I would have to stay with one 2xAA flashlight and sell the others one of the PARTNERs will definetely be my choice.

GoBlue

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I know Malkoff has a 2AA MDC light. How are those generally as far as throw? Lumens not that high, around 120 if I remember correctly

Blues

Enlightened
Hi guys, I know Malkoff has a 2AA MDC light. How are those generally as far as throw? Lumens not that high, around 120 if I remember correctly

I have the 2AA MDC. Settings are 3, 25 and 250 lumens. While AA doesn't give me the performance of 16650 or 18650 powered lights, I consider my MDC 2AA to be an excellent all around light for many tasks indoors and out.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
See if you can find a quark turbo on the markedplace. They are discontinued. Got two of them, but not selling any of them :) It got a larger reflector than the average 2xaa lights.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 2AA MDC. Settings are 3, 25 and 250 lumens. While AA doesn't give me the performance of 16650 or 18650 powered lights, I consider my MDC 2AA to be an excellent all around light for many tasks indoors and out.
And you'd be surprised how bright 250 Malkoff Lumens are in the real world, the beam shape throws very well, with enough spill to see where you're treading.
P

GoBlue

Newly Enlightened
Lol, ok thanks for the info. I am getting schooled on Malkoff lights just recently. I must have been thinking of the 1AA light with lower lumen rating. The 1AA and 2AA look great to me, to have a solid AA light. I was looking for a surefire E2L AA outdoorsman but they are selling for big $$$ the ones I have seen.

Jakelol

Newly Enlightened
I think its between the Nitecore MT21A and actually the 4xAA ThruNite TN4A HI after all. Thrunite uses twice as many AA but it also throws more then twice as long on Turbo but only rund for about 1 hour, about 2.5 hours on high.

Which one would you get and why?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you went with 4xAA a whole new world opens up..like over 450m throw... ThruNite TN4A HI

+2

This has always been one of my complaints about 4xAA. I would like one that is floody. But they all tend to be throwers, probably because the larger diameter allows for a fairly large reflector (especially compared to 1xAA or 2xAA). So if throw is what you are looking for, 4xAA is a GREAT idea. Not to mention that a 4xAA will also throw better because of the greater brightness (vs 2xAA) alone - 4xAA is roughly on a par with 1x18650. Also, with four batteries, runtime will be better (at similar brightness level). And since four batteries are doing the work instead of two, alkaline battery performance will be better (should you ever HAVE to use them).

Last edited:

Jakelol

Newly Enlightened
Anyone that has any good aspherical 2xAA flashlights?
My Deerlight had a aspherical lens and it was the best thrower i have ever seen.

Jakelol

Newly Enlightened
Curious what you like about laser like flashlights?

Im gonna use my laser like flashlight for lighting up things far far away when im out camping. I use a Zebralight H52 headlamp for orientation but as i said i want something that can light stuff up at a distance and use the same batteries as my H52 so that i only need to bring one sort of batteries.

Jakelol

Newly Enlightened
Consider the Fenix E20 (2015 Edition) 2AA, 265 lumens / 11,000 cd

I think the Nitecore MT21A is better because it has a runtime of 2 hours on turbo but the Fenix E20 id only 1 hour 20min on turbo and they are almost the same in throw.

Jakelol

Newly Enlightened
Forget the last one, not so good reviews on it.

By the way i think im leaning towards a 4xAA flashlight atm.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
ThruNite TN4A also comes in a more floody model that only goes to a beam distance of 326m, pretty decent for a light with a diameter of a toilet paper roll. It is a tough contender for less than $50, its reviews are quite good.

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
What you're looking for is the led lenser p6.2. It runs on 2aa and has a focusable beam. My coworker has the aaa version and the Hotspot is quite small and far reaching when it's focused

Enderman

Enlightened
The best lens thrower with 2xAA is the led lenser P6.2, and it's not very impressive at 120m.

The Nitecore MT21A is good, 200m but only 260lm.
The Fenix E25UE can also do 200m and does 1000lm, and also is compatible with rechargeable 14500 batteries if you want.

These two seem like the farthest throwing afaik.
Nitecore = less light but longer runtime, Fenix = more light but shorter runtime.

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
That 120m rating is not accurate. It seems like they just put that number there on multiple products. My coworker has a 3aaa version, it is rated at 120m, the single aaa version having much less output is also rated 120m. The Hotspot gets quite small due to the focusable lens which I believe is what the op is looking for